Best open source anti spam/virus software/gateway out there?

Hi Guys
can anybody recommend me a best open source anti spam/virus software/gateway? I have used untangle and it really didnt suit me what I was looking for and I am currently using mailcleaner the open source one and its really not working because its really slow on delivering mail or it blocks yahoo,hotmail,gmail and there forum is really slow and it takes forever to get any help to fix there issues on it.

As for my mail server I am using iredmail/postfix with ubuntu 10.04.3 Lts.

This setup is for my own WISP (wireless internet service provider)

Well, naturally "Best" will be different for many people...it depends what your specific needs are.

Untangle really is one of the more full featured ones out there...considering the free "Lite" version.

Astaro is very good.

Endian is also good. I have those listed in my *nix router distro stickied thread.

What did Untangle fail to do for you?

what untangle as failed was you cant manage the white/black list on user page and the userpage doesnt give you very much options to control the spam.

Astaro looks like paid version and endian also looks like its paid I am looking for something its free and open source.

Endian has a community version that's free. What you'll never find though is a per user spam management in the open-source/free market.

You said "open source"...you didn't say "must be free"
That's two different things.
Since you're doing this for what appears to be a service/business (WISP)....I'd certainly hope you use things that have support behind them..and in that case...usually doesn't come with the "Free" versions.

Endian does have a free version, the "Community Edition"
http://www.endian.com/en/community/

However, if "Free" is what you are looking for..and you're also looking for "the best"...to be offered with a service you have...I'm afraid that you will be disappointed. Relying on just "clam" for antivirus scanning will let you (and your clients) down. ClamAV is the free antivirus scanner that 99% of the open source *nix UTM appliances use in their base free version. Untangle does stand above the crown with their "Lite" free version actually working quite well compared to other free ones. But in a professional service like a WISP...I'd still want to get much better products and go with a paid version...with Untangle I'd also want their CommTouch spam booster module (which is VERY good)..and their Authentium antivirus add-on (replaced Kaspersky).

As to Untangle and managing white/black lists...you can manage that on both the global level, and on the user level you can manage their whitelist...and the end user themselves can manage the white list also.

As to Untangle and managing white/black lists...you can manage that on both the global level, and on the user level you can manage their whitelist...and the end user themselves can manage the white list also.

But is the individual user control available in the "Lite" version? I didn't think so.

I guess im very limited one free open source options here. I guess I will set here figure out the problem with mailcleaner.

Endian has a community version that's free. What you'll never find though is a per user spam management in the open-source/free market.

Maia mailguard has been said to facilitate per-user spam management. :confused:

Back