Best of DDR3 1600+

anabioz

Limp Gawd
What is the best memory for DDR3 boards and Core i7?

I was thinking OCZ?

It doesn't matter. Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, GEIL, Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, Patriot, Super Talent, A-Data. They're all the same stuff. They'll all work, assuming you aren't dealing with an abnormally picky, poorly designed motherboard.

It doesn't matter. Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, GEIL, Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, Patriot, Super Talent, A-Data. They're all the same stuff. They'll all work, assuming you aren't dealing with an abnormally picky, poorly designed motherboard.

QFT

I have used in the past DDR2: Mushkin / OCZ and Corsair. I am a big fan of OCZ Reapers. Corsair did not like too much (oc'ing was poor). Mushkin is very stable.

I like my 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 because it runs stable at 1600 MHz, 9-9-9-24 and 1.52v.

For some reason G.Skill seems generic to me :p

I had gskill in the past and it did not even pass the memtest86+ with correct voltage and timings. So i kind of lost respect. i had 2 sets of 2x2gb and one set was fine and the other one did not pass the tests.

For some reason G.Skill seems generic to me :p

I had gskill in the past and it did not even pass the memtest86+ with correct voltage and timings. So i kind of lost respect. i had 2 sets of 2x2gb and one set was fine and the other one did not pass the tests.

G.Skill is a very popular brand. However, as with any manufacturer, there are going to be defective units. 2 sets is a very very small sample size and is in no way indicative of their quality.

Over the past year I've bought two 4GB kits and two 2GB modules (a total of six modules). One module in one of the 4GB kits was bad, I RMA'd is and the replacement t was just fine. So out of eight modules that passed my hands, only one was bad.

so, 1/8 is 12.5% percent fail rate :p

That's a bit high :)

Still the sample size makes it statistically irrelevant. There are many many people on here that have had no problems with G.Skill. They are just as reliable as Corsair or OCZ.

To be honest, I never owned G.Skill prior to my current kit. I always stuck with the major brand names such as Kingston, OCZ, or Patriot. As I became more experienced with computers, I began to frequent these forums where *many* users have been using and recommending G.Skill. I did a bit of research and reading and realized that G.Skill's reputation has grown to the point where they are one of the major RAM competitors and certainly a brand that can be put into the same category as OCZ, Patriot, Corsair, and others.

Hmmm... Interesting. I guess you are right. may be I should give g.skill another shot.

I'm on my second kit of G.Skill without a single problem. I bought a 2gb ddr500 G.Skill kit for my skt 939 build and I just went back to them for a 4gb kit for my AM3 build. They don't always have the best clocking ram, but for the price they have been better than advertised always.

I've bought dozens of sets of G.skill for systems I have built for others, never had a bad stick yet.

I've always been a fan of Kingston myself, and they have a nice HyperX 1600MHz module (2GB) that has pretty decent timings... 8-8-8-2? if I recall. Where I work we keep pretty comprehensive failure rate data, and of the brands we've used before (Kingston, OCZ, Corsair) Kingston has had the lowest failure rate by a pretty wide margin.

On the flip side of things im sure OCZ makes great sticks but my experience has been annoying and frustrating as Ive had to rma it and it still came back defect, worse actually causing file corruption.

I'm on my first G.Skill kit, which I bought in September 2008. It is a 4x4GB (16 total) DDR2 800 MHz kit that has been used primarily for media rendering with a RAM disc. For what I do, it has been more important to have more total RAM rather than having less but faster RAM. I have no complaints about the G.Skill brand and I've been happy with it. One thing I should mention though is that it runs hot enough to make my fingers feel pain if I touch the sticks for more than 5 seconds. This is true regardless of whether it's at idle or working. Despite this, I have never had any problems, so I'm guessing it's not really a big deal.

Last edited:
One thing I should mention though is that it runs hot enough to make my fingers feel pain if I touch the sticks for more than 5 seconds. This is true regardless of whether it's at idle or working. Despite this, I have never had any problems, so I'm guessing it's not really a big deal.

Whats the voltage for those sticks? RAM is meant to run hot, but if it worries you, you can consider having it passively cooled by putting a case fan somewhere so it blows over the RAM.

Click here for the page where I bought the kit. I paid a lot less than that price though - it was around $450 US dollars.

According to that site, the voltage is 1.8V. So far I haven't done any kind of overclocking of any component of the computer that this kit is in. Is it safe to assume without checking that it is set in bios at 1.8?

Click here for a picture of the guts of the box (if you want to see the overall fan setup). You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the right pic. There is an 80mm fan at the case top for exhaust, rear fans are exhaust, and there is a 120mm intake fan at the front that blows over the hard drives and into the case. The entire thread starts here, but includes loads of irrelevant information. That CPU cooler fan is lifted too far away from the motherboard to do any good cooling of the RAM or northbridge, which also is finger-burning hot after about 4-5 seconds of touching.

Any suggestions, or do you think that the current setup is adequate?

Well, I don't like to assume anything when it comes to bios settings. It only takes a few seconds to check and make sure. I would think about putting a fan blowing at that ram (maybe a fan on the side panel). That kind of heat can't be good at all.

Click here for the page where I bought the kit. I paid a lot less than that price though - it was around $450 US dollars.

According to that site, the voltage is 1.8V. So far I haven't done any kind of overclocking of any component of the computer that this kit is in. Is it safe to assume without checking that it is set in bios at 1.8?

Click here for a picture of the guts of the box (if you want to see the overall fan setup). You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the right pic. There is an 80mm fan at the case top for exhaust, rear fans are exhaust, and there is a 120mm intake fan at the front that blows over the hard drives and into the case. The entire thread starts here, but includes loads of irrelevant information. That CPU cooler fan is lifted too far away from the motherboard to do any good cooling of the RAM or northbridge, which also is finger-burning hot after about 4-5 seconds of touching.

Any suggestions, or do you think that the current setup is adequate?

That Ram looks Awsom!
Your Box looks clean and neat,hows it Running?

I'm using Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G2000C8GT (6GB, 3x2GB, DDR3 2000MHz, 8,8,8,24). Works great. I'm also using a set of this on my test bench right now for motherboard reviews. Great RAM.

I'm using Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G2000C8GT (6GB, 3x2GB, DDR3 2000MHz, 8,8,8,24). Works great. I'm also using a set of this on my test bench right now for motherboard reviews. Great RAM.

Much too expensive for my taste. 1 stick of that RAM costs more than my entire 6GB G.Skill kit.

I thought that kit was relatively cheap. I've paid more than that for 2GB of DDR2 1150MHz modules back in the day for my Q6600 machine.

That Ram looks Awsom!
Your Box looks clean and neat,hows it Running?

It's perfect for what I do. People who want the world's fastest RAM for gaming or whatever else probably would go with smaller capacity yet faster speed RAM, but I needed capacity over speed for what I do, so it's a better fit for me. The only problem I've had with that box was a Seagate hard drive bricking on me due to a firmware issue which they solved for me. Woks very well.

Back