Best OCing motherboards, infinite budget

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Given no ceiling on and noconsideration for budget, what are the best overclocking motherboards for Intel S775 or AMD AM2+? The board I choose will be paired with an EE/BE unlocked CPU and phase change cooling.

I'm guessing this Asus motherboard is one of the top contenders on the Intel size. I'm out of the loop on AMD boards, so I have no idea as far as they're concerned. Any input is welcome!

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, if it is the forums are having issues...

EDIT: forum seems to be back up, duplicate closed.

absurdgg4.gif

That's what I'm considering so far. All prices from Newegg.

Some points and questions:
  • The Intel motherboards are absurdly expensive. Is there a better performer that doesn't cost quite as much? If those motherboards allow the most headroom though, then so be it.
  • This system will not have a powerful GPU, thus an extremely powerful PSU is not needed.
  • Which is better for C2D/C2Q overclocking headroom - DDR2 or DDR3?
  • I couldn't find an EE C2D. Does anyone know where I can get an unlocked C2D?

The Intel motherboards are absurdly expensive. Is there a better performer that doesn't cost quite as much? If those motherboards allow the most headroom though, then so be it.
Most decent Intel boards actually overclock similarly. You could probably overclock just as well with a $120-150 P45 board as you would with the $400 Rampage. And while you're at it, it would make a hell of a lot of sense to ditch the $1000 QX9650 and go with a $300 Q9550 instead. It may not be unlocked, but that doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the end.
This system will not have a powerful GPU, thus an extremely powerful PSU is not needed.
Even the HX620 would be pretty extreme for that situation then. You could get by on a good 500W PSU.
Which is better for C2D/C2Q overclocking headroom - DDR2 or DDR3?
The memory will not affect CPU headroom. All you need to focus on is purchasing memory fast enough to avoid limiting your FSB. Given the very small performance benefits of DDR3 over DDR2 with Core 2 systems, and the significantly higher cost of DDR3 modules and motherboards, I wouldn't say it's worth it to go with a DDR3 setup unless you really don't care about the financial aspect.
I couldn't find an EE C2D. Does anyone know where I can get an unlocked C2D?
Intel does not produce any unlocked dual-core CPUs.

The price of that Rampage motherboard is wrong...just so you know.

You have to look at price/performance though. You'll never be able to OC the AMD system as far as the Intel, and it's already slower clock for clock. Just something to think about.

Most decent Intel boards actually overclock similarly. You could probably overclock just as well with a $120-150 P45 board as you would with the $400 Rampage.
This is probably true. However, the most expensive motherboards are usually the ones constructed with the most fault tolerant materials, and have the most overclocking options in the BIOS. If there is a cheaper motherboard which is its equal or better in the overclocking arena, I want to know about it. The price is not an issue for the moment.
And while you're at it, it would make a hell of a lot of sense to ditch the $1000 QX9650 and go with a $300 Q9550 instead. It may not be unlocked, but that doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the end.
Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I would hold the same opinion. In this case, there are several considerations leading me to choose an unlocked CPU. I've done FSB overclocking, I know how to do it, but for this project I need more options. Besides, it'd be kind of silly to spend $1k on a phase change unit and then end up with a CPU that can't go one clock cycle beyond its rated frequency. Those CPUs exist, even if they are rare these days.
Even the HX620 would be pretty extreme for that situation then. You could get by on a good 500W PSU.
I was going by the [H] review, which showed extremely flat noise graphs on the oscilloscope. I had been under the impression that was the best one they've reviewed, but now that I look at that review again, it's pretty old. I'll have to ask around and see if any have surpassed it.
The memory will not affect CPU headroom. All you need to focus on is purchasing memory fast enough to avoid limiting your FSB. Given the very small performance benefits of DDR3 over DDR2 with Core 2 systems, and the significantly higher cost of DDR3 modules and motherboards, I wouldn't say it's worth it to go with a DDR3 setup unless you really don't care about the financial aspect.
That's my thinking as well, which is why all the motherboards and modules listed are DDR2. Though I will have to check and see how much memory speed will affect the project. It might just be worth the premium.
Intel does not produce any unlocked dual-core CPUs.
Not now, but they used to, even if it was only for 65 nm. I figured it was worth asking if anyone had seen a store that had them in stock.
You have to look at price/performance though. You'll never be able to OC the AMD system as far as the Intel, and it's already slower clock for clock. Just something to think about.
For the moment, price is not a concern, only performance and overclocking headroom. The AMD options are cheaper, but Intel has the more mature process, which means I'm leaning towards them quite heavily.

Just ask Eclipse.

If I were planning to actually use the system for something, I'd get 16 GB or something.

My point was once you start getting into heavy OCing, no AMD system is going to be anywhere near an Intel system. So if you have no budget, you might as well go with an i7 system as that will be your best performer by far when OC'd.

This is probably true. However, the most expensive motherboards are usually the ones constructed with the most fault tolerant materials, and have the most overclocking options in the BIOS. If there is a cheaper motherboard which is its equal or better in the overclocking arena, I want to know about it. The price is not an issue for the moment.
Well, at the very least, a P45 board would probably be a better choice for overclocking since they tend to do better than the X38 and X48 chipsets. I would recommend the ASUS Maximus II Formula for that.
Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I would hold the same opinion. In this case, there are several considerations leading me to choose an unlocked CPU. I've done FSB overclocking, I know how to do it, but for this project I need more options. Besides, it'd be kind of silly to spend $1k on a phase change unit and then end up with a CPU that can't go one clock cycle beyond its rated frequency. Those CPUs exist, even if they are rare these days.
Realistically, your chances of getting a dud overclocker are pretty much equal even if you get an EE CPU. However, if price is not an object, you may as well go all out.
I was going by the [H] review, which showed extremely flat noise graphs on the oscilloscope. I had been under the impression that was the best one they've reviewed, but now that I look at that review again, it's pretty old. I'll have to ask around and see if any have surpassed it.
For minimal ripple, the Antec Signature 650W would be a better choice than the HX620. Look up the review on jonnyguru.com for an idea of just how good it is.
Not now, but they used to, even if it was only for 65 nm. I figured it was worth asking if anyone had seen a store that had them in stock.
Even then, you'd be better off with a newer chip since 45nm C2Ds and C2Qs overclock significantly better than the 65nm parts, especially with newer E0 stepping chips.

Even my M0 E5200 does around 4Ghz on air. For an $80 CPU, that's something (especially paired with a G45 mATX HTPC board :eek:).

unlimited budget -

i7 965
evga x58 - the classified, ftw whatever the * they are going to call it.
(3) GeForce GTX 280 FTW
thermaltake 1200w
lian li armoursuit pc-p80
true heatsink w/i7 adapter

unlimited budget -

i7 965
evga x58 - the classified, ftw whatever the * they are going to call it.
(3) GeForce GTX 280 FTW
thermaltake 1200w
lian li armoursuit pc-p80
true heatsink w/i7 adapter
Not using an appreciably powerful GPU, nor a case. Also not using air cooling. Thanks though.

My point was once you start getting into heavy OCing, no AMD system is going to be anywhere near an Intel system. So if you have no budget, you might as well go with an i7 system as that will be your best performer by far when OC'd.
You see, that's actually interesting, I'm not sure whether we're shooting for raw (single-threaded) performance or raw clock speed. Hence why I'm presenting both options. From what I've seen, C2Ds clock significantly higher than Core i7s and even unlocked C2Qs...

You see, that's actually interesting, I'm not sure whether we're shooting for raw (single-threaded) performance or raw clock speed. Hence why I'm presenting both options. From what I've seen, C2Ds clock significantly higher than Core i7s and even unlocked C2Qs...

I guess I'm confused as to what your goal is. Are you looking for top end speed from any CPU just to test out some cooling equipment or are you using all this speed for a particular reason ;) ?

Back