best non TN 24 inch for gaming?

Nimafor

n00b
i've been waiting a long time to upgrade from my current Samtron 96P CRT monitor to a 24 inch LCD monitor.
And now i finally have the money to spare on one.

After what i've read i dont think i want a TN panel one due to poor viewing angles and color quality.

My main comp usage is games, and also watch some movies now and then.
So what is the best non TN based monitor for gaming?

it has to be available in europe (since that is where i live)
maximum price: well guess i can spend up to aprox 820 euro (that would translate to aprox 1150$, but gotta remember that items are lot more expensive in europe)

been lookin at the HP2475W, Benq FP241VW and eizo HD2441W (HD2442W seems to be way out of my price range) so far but still not sure, so any of those good for games? or anyone good a better suggestion?

or are there any new monitors incoming in the next few months that will be far better in that price range?

hope i get some help makin a decision here

I would/am waiting for this one....

NEC LCD24WMGX3

LCD24WMGX3-MonitorViewBackBlack.jpg

LCD24WMGX3-MonitorViewFrontalBlack.jpg

LCD24WMGX3-MonitorViewLeftBlack.jpg
[/

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-028-NE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=510&name=

Whoa, something new!
Too bad MVA/PVA monitor are known for higher input lag, which is not ideal for gaming.
Well, IPSa are not usually much better in this regard :)
I'd recommend to try HP LP2475w, although I don't know how good is its sRGB emulation.

@biosphere: lol it costs 1300€ its more then the double of my budget:D what panel does it mount?

Whoa, something new!
Too bad MVA/PVA monitor are known for higher input lag, which is not ideal for gaming.

yeah it is strange, mostly because its not the technology but the monitor makers who fudge it up. I own 3 out of the 5 or so VA monitors that are lighting fast and adore them for gaming, seems to skip to slow as mud with everything else.

One good option is the 24" HP L2465 which has a H-IPS with low input lag. Would be great for gaming :) I have a 30 inch Doublesight DS-305W with 7.5ms avg input lag (less then half a frame) H-IPS and I use it for fast twitch FPS games like css/tf2. I play them competitively and love this monitor for that use. Plus you can get it for $750 from buy.com's ebay account and the 200 dollar microsoft cashback. Ends up costing about 100 bucks more then the 24" HP.

Downside to the 30 is you need a good video card to run native. However, 1920x1200 scaled on the 30 inch does look good in gaming.

^^^^ +1 on the HPLP2475w, I just got one and gaming is great on this, low imput lag.

^^^^ +1 on the HPLP2475w, I just got one and gaming is great on this, low imput lag.

I just got one too and it seems fine to me for gaming although I might not be as picky about it as some. I had no dead pixels and the colors look even from one side to the other to me. The color isn't too bad out of the box but it is a little warmer than I am used to. I cut the backlight back quite a bit from the default because it felt like my eyes were being seared. It is a wide gamut display so you will have the bit of a difference in color that comes with that. I am probably going to get a Spider 3 Pro and use that to calibrate it. It also has plenty of inputs and comes with all the important cables. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

thanks a lot for all your help, i'm working a lot to get the w2600hp lg wich is exited from production, so hugely difficult to find, if i won't find it i will get the hp you suggested, i've read it has 2 frames input lag, if there were something better ips in the 700€ range i would buy it

dell outlet has the 3007WFP-HC for $750, buy a 15% off coupon from ebay for 6 bucks and bring it down to $675 shipped

LG W2600HP is a relatively cheap S-IPS panel. But be very careful when considering that model, because there are several variations with slight differences in the model number that have TN panels i.e : W2600H-PF is a TN panel. Here is a hardforrum thread about that monitor.

I agree that TN panels can’t compete with IPS panels with regard to color and viewing angles; but don’t dismiss them out of hand based on what you read on the internet. Go to a computer shop and take a look, many people use them (including me). You can buy a decent TN panel for almost half the cost. Also remember that TN panels generally have low response times and input lags compared to IPS/MVA (better for gaming). Viewing angles are not a huge problem if you are only going to use it as a computer monitor (sit right in front of the monitor).

Thanks...

Useful threads with good advice, the TN panels are something to consider but if you're main purpose is for gaming I'd say get an IPS instead :)
smiley2.gif
ecstatic.gif

Thanks...

Useful threads with good advice, the TN panels are something to consider but if you're main purpose is for gaming I'd say get an IPS instead :)
smiley2.gif
ecstatic.gif

Huh? Quite the opposite. TN panels are the better gaming panels.... low response and low i-lag.

Back