Best non-iPhone choice?

damnboy

n00b
Hey friends,

Need some input from you. My wife's employer will pay and replace her old blackberry phone for any new phone from any carrier and she already had an IPhone 5 as personal phone. She will use it mostly for corporate email and limited phone calls.

What would you get? some of the options are:
iPhone 5S
LG Optimus G Pro
HTC One
Moto X
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Thanks for the input. We have 2 iPhone 5 and Blackberry at home so we would like to experience the other side now ;) We may upgrade ours to iPhone 6 when it comes out.. but you never know. It's a good timing to try out non-iPhone when we have a chance.

If it's corporate, I'd be tempted to go with the iPhone 5s -- Android does have corporate support, but it's not always as deep or consistent. That and it'd be a familiar experience, as long as she liked using the iPhone 5.

I would steer clear of the One, G Pro and Galaxy S4 at this point, since they're all near the end of their lifecycles. Not unless you get a really good deal, anyway.

lol good catch! The phone will be FREE and paid by the company so any high-end top-of-the-line phone will be consider.

If it's corporate, I'd be tempted to go with the iPhone 5s -- Android does have corporate support,

What do you mean Android doesnt have corporate support?? It sure does

I would go with the Note 3 if you want to stay away from iOS

What do you mean Android doesnt have corporate support?? It sure does

I would go with the Note 3 if you want to stay away from iOS

Might want to read a little more closely. It's not whether corporate support exists, it's a question of implementation. For all of its consumer bent, Apple is actually pretty good about offering deep corporate email/calendar/contact support.

Might want to read a little more closely. It's not whether corporate support exists, it's a question of implementation. For all of its consumer bent, Apple is actually pretty good about offering deep corporate email/calendar/contact support.

As does Android.....

Out of all those choices, I'd go with Moto X or the HTC One. They actually have good out of the box experience... You probably don't want to root or install custom ROMs.

And, obviously, on the safe side, the iPhone 5S is something you are probably not used to.

Note 3 and the Moto x are probably going to give you the best experience out of this list (minus the iPhone).

Consider the note 3 if you really like large displays.

Consider the Moto x if you do not like large displays.

What size of device does your wife want, damnboy? The Galaxy Note 3 is a pretty big phone, and it's not going to be a good choice for something truly pocketable. If she prefers something compact, she'll want to look at an iPhone 5s or Moto X.

What size of device does your wife want, damnboy? The Galaxy Note 3 is a pretty big phone, and it's not going to be a good choice for something truly pocketable. If she prefers something compact, she'll want to look at an iPhone 5s or Moto X.

Depending on the blackberry they are moving her from, the Note 3 probably won't be much bigger of a device. They weren't always as small as the Z10 :p

oh yea, what service is this phone going on?

Thanks guys, she decided to go for Note 3 after seeing some of the posts here. Appreciated all your help.

Depending on the blackberry they are moving her from, the Note 3 probably won't be much bigger of a device. They weren't always as small as the Z10 :p

When did you see a blackberry larger than 4"?? Blackberrys have been tiny for years.

I would go for the Q10. Its small, fast, full comfy qwerty keyboard, feels great in your hand, great at multitasking, can run all your android apps, awesome battery life (usually 2 days before I have to charge), and VERY secure.

OP, what email/environment does her company run? I assume Exchange/Windows?

I am running a Windows Phone and the work email/calendars/office integration is awesome.

Note 3 is the champ nothing touches it, if you can afford it and fit it in your bag or whatever buy it.

Not sure what corporate email setup her company has but my company uses Good app. for the iPhone which is really bad.

Her company is paying for it so of course a high-end phone make sense. She's decided on Note 3 and it will be our first Android phone in the house. Thank you for all your input.

There is no better phone than the Note 3. Nothing even comes remotely close.

Really? Im my experience corporate support is better on android and best in windows phone.

Note 3 and S5 at the top of the list depending if you need precision pen or not.

iPhone 5S - Great for a first-timer, easy to use, but apple OS can get really annoying, small screen, phone is sometimes laggy on basic functions
LG Optimus G Pro - Relatively Outdated
HTC One - Sex machine. But will be outdated sooner than the rest, the screen size is perfect in my opinion.
Moto X - Budget phone, if you're into budget phones that will be out in 1-2 years.
Samsung Galaxy S4 - Flimsy. The plastic doesn't feel good in the hand but it's a solid phone nonetheless.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Maybe a bit too big, but if you have large hands it's a great choice.

I've held/owned/used the Note 3, S4, G2, Optimus G, 5S and HTC One.

Here's my top choices in order. With a short description.

1. LG G2 - Insane battery, screen between Phablet and standard 5.0 size is perfect.
2. HTC One - Just a sleek phone all around, camera is complete garbage.
3. iPhone 5S - Looks amazing, under the hood it's a little lacking.
4. Galaxy S4 - Feels bad in the hand, but has decent specs with a killer screen.
5. Note 3 - Top of the line performer, a bit too big for me as a daily driver.
6. Optimus G - It's a nice phone, but LG software kills it, outdated, not so thin.

S5 now that it was just released! :)
honestly, for the price, I dunno why people don't just get the LG G2 free on contract. The SGS5 is basically the same phone but with more gimmicks. TouchWiz would still be unbearable. Root and install cyanogen or other AOSP roms, and there will be practically no difference between the G2 and the GS5. Heck, arguments can be made about the G2 being superior such as screen, bigger storage (heh), non-bandaid inspired look, and closer to stock experience. I am still waiting for the camera test.

honestly, for the price, I dunno why people don't just get the LG G2 free on contract. The SGS5 is basically the same phone but with more gimmicks. TouchWiz would still be unbearable. Root and install cyanogen or other AOSP roms, and there will be practically no difference between the G2 and the GS5. Heck, arguments can be made about the G2 being superior such as screen, bigger storage (heh), non-bandaid inspired look, and closer to stock experience. I am still waiting for the camera test.

It is because LG has a bad rep from prior phones. Since the G2 is excellent this will help them turn that around though. Look at the bright side, folks like us that figured out how good the G2 is got a good price on it due to the fact that the mass market wasn't paying attention to it and underrated it.

People love them some SAMOLED.... don't believe me? Give two random people both phones, turn them to max brightness and ask which one has the better screen... I can almost guarantee they will say SAMOLED.

I've seen it time and time again... is it justified? No.... is the SAMOLED oversaturated and not representative of real colours? Absolutely... but people love them.

I've had soooooo many people tell me the reason they bought their S2/3/4 or Note/2/3 was because the screen was so nice and colours were so nice.

If you put any of those phones in movie mode (my Note 2 has this option) the colors are much more realistic. So it's not like you can't do that and get the right color temp (for the most part).

The general public doesn't give a shit about correct colors. But it's the contrast of those displays that sells them , as that's what makes the colors "pop" as they say.

My G2 is great as I've lamented but the display is far inferior in terms of contrast compared to my Note 2 and for videos it really shows the difference. However my G2 is also 1080p while my Note 2 is 720p and has far less pixels per square inch.

If you put any of those phones in movie mode (my Note 2 has this option) the colors are much more realistic. So it's not like you can't do that and get the right color temp (for the most part).

The general public doesn't give a shit about correct colors. But it's the contrast of those displays that sells them , as that's what makes the colors "pop" as they say.

My G2 is great as I've lamented but the display is far inferior in terms of contrast compared to my Note 2 and for videos it really shows the difference. However my G2 is also 1080p while my Note 2 is 720p and has far less pixels per square inch.

Agreed!!

That's why I said people will pick the SAMOLED over LCD... they LOVE the colour saturation.

Have a friend(just recently) that played with BOTH the One and S4... and bought the S4... why? Because he liked the screen better.

And really... who can blame them? I'm a sucker for a good AMOLED myself! :)

Guys, he's already got the Note 3. You can stop posting now... ;)

Back