best "netbook" ever

Duffman247

Gawd
I'm a big fan of the whole miniature computers.
i didn't think any of them had enough horses under the hood.

Well that is till i saw this.

http://www.cyberport.de/item/2/0/0/...-4gb320gb-13zollwxga-gf9600mgt-nbt-vbxpp.html

Most can't read german (or atleast i can't), but you can read the specs.

13.3" 2.53 P9500, 9600GT GDDR3, 4 DDR3-1066, Wireless b/g/n, HDMI, and its only 3.5 pounds....

The battery life has to suck.
I'd buy it if i could get it.... in a heartbeat...

This will be too expensive to be considered a netbook.

too big also. I don't believe there is an official definition, but from what i have read and seen netbooks are typically 12" and smaller. Dell's Mini 12 is the only i have seen that has been labelled at netbook in the 12" range. usually anything 12.1" or larger has fallen into the laptop category.

I purchased the MSI EX300 about a week ago and so far I am totally loving it. Plenty of power, only 4.5lbs with an 8 cell battery, cost wasnt too high. I would recommend it.

The netbooks have only been termed that when they are very cheap and usually have slow processors, IE the Atom. 11-13" laptops that are super light and thin but still powerful are usually VERY expensive and are termed "ultra-portable" or something along those lines.

I don't care if the makers brand them netbooks....but to me only 11" screen and under are netbooks

BTW netbooks = cheap/slow/bad quality. So you wanna a cheap notebook or a lightweight one?

No. Cheap, yes, that's the idea. Slow? If you're number crunching, yes. If you're surfing the internet, they're plenty fast.

Bad quality? Why would you assume so? Because they're cheap? I haven't seen too many complaints about netbooks falling apart and breaking down. So where did you get that idea?

For me a Netbook is...

- Has wireless
- Less than 10" for me
- Less than 3 lbs
- 5+ hrs battery life
- FUCKING CHEAP

For me a Netbook is...

- Has wireless
- Less than 10" for me
- Less than 3 lbs
- 5+ hrs battery life
- FUCKING CHEAP

Then apparently the best selling netbook right now.... isn't? The Acer Aspire One with its standard 3cell battery hardly makes it to 2 and a half hours. Thats just suring the web in low power mode. I have Vista on mine, it was even worse with XP. Windows 7 on the other hand increases it a little bit.

Then apparently the best selling netbook right now.... isn't? The Acer Aspire One with its standard 3cell battery hardly makes it to 2 and a half hours. Thats just suring the web in low power mode. I have Vista on mine, it was even worse with XP. Windows 7 on the other hand increases it a little bit.
I get 7 hours on my 6 cell. I bought it for around $350 I think.

Well, there is no "best" ever, because we're talking about personal preferences of course, and that's a shitstorm if there ever has been such a thing.

If I had to choose a 9" Netbook, it's the Acer Aspire One without batting an eyelash.

If it's a 10" then it's the Samsung NC-10, hands down.

Everything else is just a poseur it seems... :)

Now Asus introduced a "Tablet Netbook" at CES or some show the other day, wonder what that will hit the market at. I'd hazard to guess at least $700...

I haven't owned an Acer Aspire Once, but if people like it then whatever makes it happy.And Joe is right, there's no BEST Netbook. I don't like curvy netbooks though and that's my preference lol.

I still think the best have yet to come since these devices are getting more and more popular.

As for the 9" netbooks, I really don't know what the big deal is on the AAO. I think someone else said it best, that its a 9" screen in a 10" body. I still like the Dell Mini 9 and then the Asus EeePC 901 over the AAO. I do agree that the AAO has a better keyboard and price, but can't stand the touch pad.

...that's a 13" laptop. You might get away with calling it a "notebook."

Netbook?

No.

I have a 12.1" laptop. It eats netbooks for breakfast. It's not a netbook. It's too big and expensive. A ~$2000 13" certainly doesn't have anything to do with netbooks.

/thread

The best netbook is many years old.

Lifebook P1120
$160 on ebay
8.9" touchscreen
800mhz.. transmeta
enough power for the internet and general tasks
1024x600
10 hour battery with extended battery

Yah, I wanted one of those Fujitsu's the split second I saw one on display at Fry's here in Vegas when they were brand spankin' new. Had an optical drive in it too... damned thing was wicked evil cool for its time, still is really. Saw one on Craig's List recently and wanted that one just to say I finally got one but the seller wanted $600+ for the package he had, which was absolutely insane considering the age.

I don't care how "cool" something is, when it's gone past the generally accepted lifespan (say 2-4 years for most products), ain't no way in hell I'd pay that much for something...

Would still love to get one, however. $160 on fleaBay, eh? :D

/me runs off to do a search...

$199 + Shipping... appears to be in outstanding condition too, damn. And here I am just having paid bills on Friday, now broke... classic situation. "A day later and a dollar short..." :)

If they keep making these things better and even lower in price I'm going to have to hop on the bandwagon and buy one.. I've been trying soooo hard not to yet lol

Chiming in in agreement, that's not a netbook.

Hell, once it gets to the 12" segment, it's an ultraportable notebook as far as I'm concerned. If it's Atom or Nano powered rather than Core (or god help us Turion), it's a weaker one that focuses on battery life, but that's not a problem.

But a netbook has to be under 12" as far as I'm concerned. Really, under $500. The NC10 is this generation's pinnacle of netbookdom, for its superior battery life and keyboard.

You have your occasional outlier such as the N10J that gives multimedia performance and the AAO which focuses on price, but the core blueprint is the same.

What's the typical battery life on a 10" netbook while watching a dvd? I'm thinking great for plane rides, etc.

well. seeing as how none of them have DVD drives.

playing a standard def movie rip though, maybe 3-4 hours on a battery that lasts 6 idle.

Well, even though the one i posted is called a notebook by LG, are we pretty much at the mercy of what the manufacturer wants to call any specific laptop/netbook. Because like i stated earlier, they are trying to push for 12s and 13s, but its all a matter of what they end up putting on the box?

Well, even though the one i posted is called a notebook by LG, are we pretty much at the mercy of what the manufacturer wants to call any specific laptop/netbook. Because like i stated earlier, they are trying to push for 12s and 13s, but its all a matter of what they end up putting on the box?

No. You'll notice just about everyone here agrees that it has to be 10" or smaller. Larger than that and it's an ultra-portable. Above $500 and it's an ultra-portable. We can't help if LG's marketing department has no idea what a netbook is. The definition is very well established at this point.

well. seeing as how none of them have DVD drives.

playing a standard def movie rip though, maybe 3-4 hours on a battery that lasts 6 idle.

hmmm...I think i'd want one with a dvd drive...oh well...

hmmm...I think i'd want one with a dvd drive...oh well...

An ultraportable is just about your only option, then. My HP Compaq 2510p (12.1") with the 6 cell extended battery lasts around 6 hours on a charge playing DVDs, likely a little more if you disable the WiFi and Bluetooth radios. It's about a $1500 machine, though.

My HP Compaq 2510p (12.1")... about a $1500 machine, though.

homerxc7.jpg

The netbook i put a link to in the first post came with a slim line USB dvd R/RW drive.

But i hear those things are beasts on power

Back