Best music?

Castlevania: Symphony of the night was one of the best-themed soundtracks i've heard in a while.. Also, Final Fantasy VI.

Anything Nobuo Uematsu, especially FF7. I'm going to see the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra do their Final Fantasy concert tonight. :D

The music for eve online is absolutely amazing.

I also really liked Final Fantasy VII

#1. Final Fantasy 7
#2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
#3. Mega Man 2 (Though, All of the Mega Man Series, Including X has good music)

my favorites

FF1-9 and Tactics
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Breath of Fire 3&4
Einhander
Guilty Gear series
Ace Combat 4&5
Mega Man series
Katamari Damacy

smile.gif

For an overall, really, you can't beat the classic NES/SNES (& Symphony) soundtracks for Castlevania. Really great stuff.

Honorable mention would have to be the original X-Wing soundtrack, that would alter itself depending on how the mission was going. Now that was awesome.

Diablo, Starcraft, Hitman 1/2, Heavy Gear, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, C&C, Deus Ex, Mega Man X, Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D -- there are so many, but it's limited mostly to older games.

OTL said:
Diablo, Starcraft, Hitman 1/2, Heavy Gear, Unreal Tournament, Rainbow Six, C&C, Deus Ex, Mega Man X, Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D -- there are so many, but it's limited mostly to older games.
<cringes>

you guys seriously liked all that old game music? mario, mega man? HAHAHA I cannot believe it. nice!

G'ßöö said:
<cringes>

you guys seriously liked all that old game music? mario, mega man? HAHAHA I cannot believe it. nice!
I listen to all the Mega Man boss levels music more than real music. Mega Man > All*

* = Except for Final Fantasy 7

G'ßöö said:
<cringes>

The quality of game music in general has gone down, and the fidelity hasn't improved any since the redbook standard came to games around 1996. With an Audigy soundcard and a professional quality soundfont or a Roland GS wavetable card, even midi music can sound strikingly close to CD redbook audio. The cymbal shimmers and rich bass from the Doom soundtrack sound great using the Utopia Live! soundfont.

i cant believe you girls even know the names of the artists involved in the soundtracks... thats kind of creepy

I can't believe you're lame enough to get off on calling other people girls, like a derogatory.

eloj said:
I can't believe you're lame enough to get off on calling other people girls, like a derogatory.

dont worry sweetheart... i do it all the time, i'm a professional

I'll have to third Deus Ex. What an amazing soundtrack in a great game. It's consistent in style but varied enough to be interesting, and sets the mood depending on where you are.

quake 1 and 2 was awesome, nin + rob zombie. band of brothers had quite the feeling though with their music

Top three game soundtracks of all time, as far as really sucking you into the game world:

1. Interstate '76
2. Deus Ex
3. Under a Killing Moon

I am at a stand still on what my Favorite Track is...

Either Dr Wily Stage 1 in Mega Man 2...
OR
Aeris Theme from Final Fantasy 7

Mega Man X1 had some of the most memerable music for me. I remember all of the music from that game.

Metal Gear Solid 1 ,2 and 3 had some great music. The theme song Rocks (Got the mp3 of it on my Ipod :D )

I guess I will list all of the games I actually own the soundtrack CDs to.

1) Metroid Prime/Fusion/Prime 2
2)The Zeldas (I listen to Majoras Mask and Windwaker the most)
3)Prince of Persia - SOT
4)Mysts
5)Jet Set Radio Future

I have 8+ gigs of Game music, and I listen to game soundtracks as much as I do regular music. Nothing brings back memories like listening to the music from your favorite boss or game.

Without a doubt, the greatest videogame music has been seen in the Mechwarrior series; from MW2 onward it's just been great music that fit the environment, especially in MW:2, and MW:2 Mercenaries.

diablo 2 woot :)

Imperium galactica 3 was nice for music

pax imperium was good for music i thought.

Total annihalation woot woot.

and the best one of all is my MP3 player being on while playing games...

anybody recall the song that played in the intro to quake 2? that was the greatest song ever in a video game, i think anyway.

anybody know the song?

Needs more half-cheesy shooters. :D
Tyrian and Interpose, for instance. The Tyrian-soundtrack really sounds best on an SB16, kind of like how the Gameboy-hardware adds an unique feel to the sound of the original games. (Tetris. :) )

Settlers 2 was neat as well. (Track 2->7 on the CD was performances of some of the midi tunes.)

As for anything recent, uhm ... sorry. I've been using winamp and mp3s or webradio as game music for years now. The best I can provide is that Freelancer and Röyksopp is a brilliant combination. (The first album, that is.)

Back