Best Multiplayer FPS of all time...

prime2515102

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory today with the Enemy Territory: Legacy mod, against bots, and I have to say, this is still the funnest MP FPS I've ever played (even with no voice chat).

The graphics are simple (even at 4k) but the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal. I once played it for 25 hours straight, then another 30 hours straight after some sleep only to have my ring and pinky fingers go numb. They're still slightly numb to this day (that was 2002). I was going for 10,000 XP in the 30 hour stretch because everybody wanted to see if the XP would roll over to 0. lol It was so worth it...

I wish this game would get re-mastered on a modern game engine.

If anybody were to start a server where actual humans play, I'll be there! lol

Tribes or Q3A for sure

I loved Q3A, but like Counter Strike (mostly source for me) it got old after a decade or so. I just installed Quake Champions recently, and although it's pretty nostalgic in its mechanics, I can see it getting old pretty fast. I don't think I would have stopped playing ET if it still had people playing. Plus the whole paying for shit thing makes me sick. When I was a kid, gamers could make mods and weapons (etc.) on their own without paying a dime. lol Everybody had equal footing - not just people who pay the Man (aside from hardware costs of course).

Wolfenstein New Order

Honorable mention: Doom 2, UT, and Counter-Strike.

I haven't played any FPS made in this decade, so my pick would be UT99 or BF1942, of which a few friends and I still play occasionally.

CoD MW1 was bat shit crazy fun and I'd throw Team Fortress Classic and CS/CSS in there. No particular order but they were all fantastic games.

I did love the Shazbot out of Tribes, though: "I need an APC pickup!"

Warhawk for PS3 hands down. By far the most enjoyable gameplay mechanics I've ever played of any game. Definitely a game of skill with room for dumb luck.

Whether it, be on foot, in a vehicle, or in the air, this game was a blast.

I'm strictly a single player gamer now these days because my fun with multiplayer games peaked with Warhawk.

Its a true [H]ard game in my opinion. Something that actually could be invested in and honed. New strategies and tactics would reveal themselves after, well plenty of trial and error. And ultimately it could be brutally unforgiving to those who were green.

Such a great game. Definitely not your traditional multiplayer shooter.

/love

I've got a buddy that just hit the big 5-0, that swears up and down that BF1942: Desert Combat mod is the greatest MP evar.

There's not many that can compete that's for sure.

My opinion is that counter strike is the greatest. It's been going on for nearly 20 years relatively unchanged. I dont care much for CS go but damn do I miss the days of the earlier counter strike betas

Best MP FPS for most people will just be whatever they got hooked onto when they first started gaming. Mine was RtCW.

Agreed.

The nostalgia element is deep.

That's why I didn't mention CS beta circa 2000 etc.

If I had to pick ONE and only one, I guess I'd go with Q3A.

Tightest mechanics and gameplay is still relevant albeit simplistic.

Hl mod op4, og counter strike and my all time fav cod united offensive with the 1000s of custom maps

As somebody close to 50. I would agree that the BF1942 Desert combat mod was the best. Huge maps, full servers. Capture the flag El Alamein for hours on end.

I've been playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory today with the Enemy Territory: Legacy mod, against bots, and I have to say, this is still the funnest MP FPS I've ever played (even with no voice chat).

The graphics are simple (even at 4k) but the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal. I once played it for 25 hours straight, then another 30 hours straight after some sleep only to have my ring and pinky fingers go numb. They're still slightly numb to this day (that was 2002). I was going for 10,000 XP in the 30 hour stretch because everybody wanted to see if the XP would roll over to 0. lol It was so worth it...

I wish this game would get re-mastered on a modern game engine.

If anybody were to start a server where actual humans play, I'll be there! lol
Technically, it was remastered. Wolfenstein ran on id Tech 3. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars came out 4 years later on id Tech 4 and was a much better game than Wolf, in my opinion.

For me it's between Team Fortress Classic and Unreal Tournament low grav instagib CTF.

What I loved about both of them, aside from being amazing games, was the advanced techniques you could use to escape the enemy.

In TFC, medics and scouts could use well timed concussion grenades to blast themselves across the map.
In UT, you could boost your teammates across the map with your instagib rifle.

I think we all know the answer but don't want to say it.

Its Counterstrike 1.6

Reactions: atom
like this
I've got a buddy that just hit the big 5-0, that swears up and down that BF1942: Desert Combat mod is the greatest MP evar.

I'm pushing pretty damned hard against the big 5-0 :) I also love that mod!

I do plan on building a new rig in the next few months, so this decade's games will be tried out pretty soon :)

Honestly, I still play wayyyy more Atari 8 bit games than anything else. I've been trying to reclaim Star Commander Class I in Star Raiders :)

DC was baaaad ass. Just wonderfully balanced with great vehicles. I miss being able to mod battlefield.

Technically, it was remastered. Wolfenstein ran on id Tech 3. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars came out 4 years later on id Tech 4 and was a much better game than Wolf, in my opinion.
Interesting... I tried Quake Wars for about a week and just couldn't get into it.

There are a lot of amazing FPSs. A lot of people still play Quake 3 Arena, the original Unreal Tournament and Counter-Strike, and Halo: Combat Evolved. I'm going to a Halo CE LAN next month.

Best MP FPS for most people will just be whatever they got hooked onto when they first started gaming. Mine was RtCW.

yep, and coincidentally mine was RTCW as well. If i can take nostalgia out of the equation my favorite multiplayer game would probably be BF3.

TF2 - the original hat collection simulator with a FPS side game.

tz1af39ua9ny.png

NOLF
Borderlands series

Last edited:
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3 Arena (probably the best of all time for me)
Quake 4
Quake Champions (it's starting to solidify now, and it's getting to be pretty good)
Doom 2016 (after id took control back, it got pretty decent)
Doom 3 (with the caveat that you fill every player slot, the levels can be a bit big for only a couple players)
Hexen II
System Shock 2 (a little buggy, and co-op only, but SO fun)
Borderlands (again co-op)
Borderlands 2 (co-op)
Unreal
Unreal Tournament (I suppose you could say UT-99)
Unreal Tournament 2004
UTIII (some don't like it, but I managed to have a decent amount of fun with it)
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Left for Dead
Left for Dead 2
Prey 2006 (this was quite a bit of fun, especially with the portals)

Honorable Mention (meaning, the oldies)

Doom
Doom II
Heretic
Hexen
Descent

Mods for other games

Urban Terror for Q3A
Urban Assault for UT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back