Best motherboard to pair with i5-750.

DoomD

Limp Gawd
Well as the title says I'm looking for a nice motherboard for a new i5-750 cpu.Thinking about keeping my budget for the board under $200 though if spending more means a good deal better system then I'll go for it.Any and all recommendations are welcomed.

Well I would recommend the asus p7p55d-e Or p7h57D-v evo I own both the p55 is my daughter with the chip you have and a 5870 mine is the h57 specs in sig my board the h57 is a little more feature rich but the p55 is right there too. Haven't overclocked hers yet have to get a better heatsink for it.

Last edited:
MSI-P55 GD65, and I'm not just saying that because I have it. Kyle gave it an editor's gold choice and it is a well received motherboard. I'm also running an i5-750 and I have had absolutely 0 problems from the moment I first posted until now, which has been about 5 months. The only thing you might want to consider is looking at the mobo thats a step up from the GD65 that comes with USB 3.0 as well as SATA 3.0 if you feel that the old 2.0 versions of both will leave you with bottlenecks.

To HisSvt76: Those Asus boards certaintly don't look bad.

To BigBallinGPR: I know of the MSI but like you stated i wouldn't mind having USB 3.0 and Sata 6.But that sure is a nice price...

Anyone else have any other ideas?Oh and whats the more feature rich boards the P55 or H57?

To HisSvt76: Those Asus boards certaintly don't look bad.

To BigBallinGPR: I know of the MSI but like you stated i wouldn't mind having USB 3.0 and Sata 6.But that sure is a nice price...

Anyone else have any other ideas?Oh and whats the more feature rich boards the P55 or H57?

well the asus P7H57 is rated for quad sli or quad crossfire as long as you use a I5 or I7 since they have a built in PCI-E controller. thats a feat that even the asus maximus cant do. from what ive seen the I5's and I7's PCI-e controller are used only by the H55 and H57 chipset and not the P55

Quad-GPU SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
Flexible Multi-GPU solutions, Your Weapon of Choice!
P7H57D-V EVO brings you the multi-GPU choice of either SLI™ or CrossFireX. The motherboard features the most powerful Intel H57 platform to optimize PCIe allocation in multiple GPU configurations. Expect a brand-new gaming style you’ve never experienced before!

*SLI™ and CrossFireX™ mode are available only for Intel non-integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.

well the asus P7H57 is rated for quad sli or quad crossfire as long as you use a I5 or I7 since they have a built in PCI-E controller. thats a feat that even the asus maximus cant do. from what ive seen the I5's and I7's PCI-e controller are used only by the H55 and H57 chipset and not the P55

Quad-GPU SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!
Flexible Multi-GPU solutions, Your Weapon of Choice!
P7H57D-V EVO brings you the multi-GPU choice of either SLI™ or CrossFireX. The motherboard features the most powerful Intel H57 platform to optimize PCIe allocation in multiple GPU configurations. Expect a brand-new gaming style you’ve never experienced before!

*SLI™ and CrossFireX™ mode are available only for Intel non-integrated graphics (Lynnfield) processors.

Actually, all three chipsets utilize the i5's and i7's integrated PCIe controller. The difference is the how the chipset uses the integrated PCIe controller. Both the P55 and H57 chipsets (in conjunction with a Lynnfield CPU) support SLI or CrossFire in either an x8/x8 or an x16/x4 setup. The H55 does not support SLI or CrossFire at all (nor do the Clarkdale CPUs with integrated graphics).

Actually, all three chipsets utilize the i5's and i7's integrated PCIe controller. The difference is the how the chipset uses the integrated PCIe controller. Both the P55 and H57 chipsets (in conjunction with a Lynnfield CPU) support SLI or CrossFire in either an x8/x8 or an x16/x4 setup. The H55 does not support SLI or CrossFire at all (nor do the Clarkdale CPUs with integrated graphics).

thanks that is a little more clear , i know it depends on the board maker too how they implement the features. just read the features and fine print depending on how you plan to build the machine. i know the P7P55 that i spoke of above has a io level up that can slow the PCI-E down to speed up the sata 6 and usb3 but the P7H57 doesnt do that so with it you can run it all without any compromise.

Just built a system for my son:

EVGA P55 SLI (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...055&cm_re=evga_p55_sli-_-13-188-055-_-Product)

Core i5 750

Corsair XMS3-4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...air_xms3_4gb_ddr3/1600-_-20-145-260-_-Product)

I have two other EVGA mainboards as well and I am very satisfied with their quality, service, and overclockability.

The i5 is running happily at 3.4 GHz currently, I haven't had alot of time to fine tune it, but I expect it will find a sweet spot at about 4 GHz. All I've done so far is up the BClock.

Nice thing about this board is that I could use my socket 775 CPU heatsink......saved me a little bit of cash.

The P55 is on sale right now at a low price of $135 after rebate..........you cannot beat this board at this price.

Used a P7P55D in my build and a buddies and they have both been rock solid.

I have the gigabyte P55-UD4P and think it has been excellent. I managed 4.6ghz under chilled water. they now have the A version available As well which includes sata 3 and USB 3. I think Gigabyte has some very solid offerings these days.

Yeah I've been looking at both EVGA and Gigabyte for a while now.I've also been looking at that Asus board and alot people have been impressed with it.Ha Ha really not sure now.I'm almost leaning toward the MSI boards but those other boards look like viable choices.Well keep up with the opinions Hardforum :D

The MSI GD80 is the cleanest, prettiest, and most feature-rich board I've bought. I can't find a single fault with it, except I guess that MSI's 'control center' software is pretty buggy, but I never really use it.

Yeah i think the GD80 or the GD65 will be the motherboard I'll get.I can't really find anything else with as good of reviews.Though if anyone thinks of anything let me know.

Just be sure NOT to use MSI Live Update to flash BIOS. I made this mistake Friday night and almost shit my pants as I watched the worthless MSI software developers brick my gaming machine. Thankfully, after resetting CMOS, computer booted to a BIOS repair utility that let me flash to the original BIOS with a formatted flash drive, and then after that I used the BIOS flash utility to update to the latest.

Back