best Motherboard for TR4

Depends on what you want to do. Are you a content creator? Workstation? Super SLI gaming machine? What's the goal? Need USB? Lots of M.2? Lots of SATA ports?

I'm running the same analysis now - it all comes down to "what's your goal" - there are a LOT of options and mixed features depending on what you want to accomplish.

Can't go worng with the gigabyte boards mine has been a champ and it was one of the least problematic system I built rauns my 3960 at 4.5-6 st also

Can't go worng with the gigabyte boards mine has been a champ and it was one of the least problematic system I built rauns my 3960 at 4.5-6 st also
This forum would disagree, at least on x570... and don’t get me started on 990FX

This forum would disagree, at least on x570... and don’t get me started on 990FX

I'd generally concur. The Aorus Xtreme TRx40 that I used was pretty solid as far as the board was concerned but it some major limiting issues such as no compatibility with their Titan Ridge card even though the board has the ports for it. They simply won't get off their asses to write a working bios for it. And even when there is a bios for the TR card, it often doesn't work as witnessed by users of the Designaire board. Then there's crap like the rgb software that took 4 months to get a working version, seriously! Then there's the AIC card which is designed for looks and not actual use because the shroud they throw on it causes the nvme's to heatsoak in a few minutes of operation. Thus you have to mod it by removing said shroud, etc... That said the Xtreme board that I used was pretty stout, but then again it is an 850 buck board so it damn well better be built like it.

I've been using a Asus Strix TRX40 since right around launch, and overall I'm quite pleased with it. It seems stable, reliable and well supported, and did not carry what I felt was an unreasonable price tag for a motherboard. It carries all the basics, doesn't look like a toy, and doesn't try to cash in an $850 price tag because it has 'creator' on the box.

I dislike the lack of slots--what's the point of all those lanes if you only get four slots?!--but this seems to be the new normal with HEDT platforms in general. (Interesting I can put more boards in my 1983 Compaq Deskpro than I can in this ultra high performance, extreme I/O bandwidth 2020 HEDT system.... sorry pet peeve.)

I've been using a Asus Strix TRX40 since right around launch, and overall I'm quite pleased with it. It seems stable, reliable and well supported, and did not carry what I felt was an unreasonable price tag for a motherboard. It carries all the basics, doesn't look like a toy, and doesn't try to cash in an $850 price tag because it has 'creator' on the box.

I dislike the lack of slots--what's the point of all those lanes if you only get four slots?!--but this seems to be the new normal with HEDT platforms in general. (Interesting I can put more boards in my 1983 Compaq Deskpro than I can in this ultra high performance, extreme I/O bandwidth 2020 HEDT system.... sorry pet peeve.)
With the down fall of sli not much point in having 4 slots or more. Also they ues the lanes for other stuff then just the pcie slots nvme drives get a good bit. Also comparing pcie to a 1983 shared buss is funny. You can do 2 gpus, 4nvem drives and still have two slots left to add splitters to if you need more devices

With the down fall of sli not much point in having 4 slots or more. Also they ues the lanes for other stuff then just the pcie slots nvme drives get a good bit. Also comparing pcie to a 1983 shared buss is funny. You can do 2 gpus, 4nvem drives and still have two slots left to add splitters to if you need more devices

Thanks for the reply! I complain only half-heartedly. That said, my 3960X system has a GPU, a 10GbE card, an old-school analog HD capture card and a sound card and the system is full which is why I complain a bit about it :) I haven't tried splitters, that may be something that I am not familiar with.

I'd rather have more slots, fewer on-board M.2 connectors, and use a PCIe M.2 board. That way it's my choice as to how to utilize the lanes, rather than have the system prescribe those lanes for storage. This is how earlier HEDT platforms were architected. As it is, on my Strix motherboard, the two M.2 spots between PCIe slots are practically unusable due to atrocious thermals with a hot GPU right next to them. I guess I forgot to mention that in my earlier post... on-board M.2 slots, which got me excited when I was building the system in December, later turned into a disappointment when I realized how hot they get. The one connector at the edge of the board, supporting an upright installation, was the only one that got enough airflow to not throttle the SSD.

Using a MSI PRO TRX40 PRO, running well, no problems. Not enough time with it for a solid review.

Yea, Asus and their stupid gamer slots... but these are hedt workstations we're dealing with. Some of these brands are still using stupid gamer slot arrangements with 2.5 slot widths and crap, smh. Even the Zenith II is hampered by this idiotic arrangement. That's why I went with the Xtreme, four real slots. Two 2080tis, an AIC card, and a Titan Ridge card. Bam all foour slots are gone.

Back