Best motherboard for an 8-core AM3+???

halcyon419

n00b
Assigning each core a virtualPC of sorts, seems like this could get me a lot of bang-for-buck.

Topic pretty much asks the question. I am very interested in these cpu's, especially for networking/multi-purpose uses such as home automation. And does anyone know of any dual-socket AM3+ motherboards?

Dual socket AM3 doesn't exists. You have to go with socket G34 if you want multiple AMD CPUs.

Best in terms of what?

G34 boards look pretty sweet, this could work. a little pricey though.

I suppose I should have been more specific. Mainly since these AM3+ cpu's use a lot of the same chipsets as the older AM2/AM3 cpu's, for example I am using a 785G chipset on my phenom PC and it's great, but as for 9xx series chipsets I know very little about em. Mainly just want the fastest chipset possible with tons of room for RAM.

that crosshair 5 board looks really nice but this is not going to be a gaming rig, no need for SLi i'd rather find something with 8 ram slots. gonna need several PCI or PCI-x slots also for ethernet cards.

I too am looking for a mobo for a 8350 in a VM. Unfortunately it looks like 32gb of ran is the most we can get.

I have two AMD rigs using the ASRock 990FX Professional Fatal!ty mobo and am very pleased. While I haven't tried a 8350 in one yet I do have an 8150 that benchmarked at 5.07GHZ and runs stable at 4.8GHZ (I'm on it at the moment). They were my first ASRock boards and I chose them for the slot layouts being better for my needs than any other 990FX board. I've had both for over a year with not a single issue. I'm still using Asus boards for my Intel X79 and Z77 rigs though (I've got an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 as well, for $104 on Black Friday it was a steal).

I am currently on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board with an 8150. I can get it completely stable at 4.6 but it gets alittle hot(sorry watercooler). If I go higher then it starts to get too hot and throttles it a bit at 4.8ghz.

I have a UD7 already and an 8350 on the way to compare temps. That is why I have the 8150 on stock volts at 4.0ghz clock. Just to keep the temps down.

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 all seem to be really good boards- the Gigabyte one is significantly less expensive than the other two options and from what I have read, it might be Gigabyte's best board for overclocking (I found that when reading through this thread... quite shocking. It is somewhere on that page and on previous pages). Those three boards should do well.

I have not done enough research on the ASRock boards to recommend (or not recommend) them, so... yeah. I have heard the Biostar board is also a nice one- albeit with a much lower power phase (4+1) than you would expect from a 990fx board.

The 970s are decent mobos, but they are the entry level of the 900-series mobos which is why they are not talked about as much (remember w[H]ere you are ;)). Most of them (except for Gigabyte's 970-UD3) do not have an 8+2 power phase and while they are crossfire ready, most of them come with a pci-e 2.0 slots of x16 and x4 (ASRock's 970 Extreme 4 has three pci-e 2.0 slots and you can do an x8/x8 setup and MSI has x16 and x8 [used here as reference]).

So while they are decent boards, you are going to be limited in what you do with a 970 board. Why do that when you can spend a little more and have it all? :)

The OP is talking about a motherboard so he can host VM's, not gaming, so I don't think he's going to need Crossfire. He wants a lot of PCI slots for NICs so is getting a mobo with 4 PCI-e 2.0 slots worth the price when the OP can get a 970 board with the same amount of PCI slots?

If it were me, I would get either the GA-970A-D3 or GA-970A-UD3.

Back