Best motherboard for 2700x

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I am going to Microcenter this week to pick up a 2700x combo. What is the best motherboard to pair up with this chip? I'd like to get something that has good sound and that is really robust. Since I've always cheaped out on the motherboards before I figured this time I'd pick up something decent. What do you guys think?

MSI X450/X470Pro Carbon AC looks pretty sweet. The MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC also looks good but a bit expensive.

Last edited:
Asus Crosshair Hero VII

Best Ryzen board I've used period. I had less RAM issues and no stability issues the entire time I used it.

Reactions: mord
like this
Crosshair Hero VII is the best board you can get for 2700x but its a bit expensive

like this
I have the Strix X470-F. Only had it running for two days, but seems solid and PBO is working excellent (seeing 4.3GHz in games).

Asrock Taichi also does a nice job with a 2700X and is running 2x16 at just shy of 3200MT/s CL14. I haven't tried enabling PBO but that's partly because this is a production box, not a gaming build, and I need stability more than I need 100 Mhz.

For what it's worth I've been running a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi with a 2600 for the last 5 months or so. I don't game much so take this with a grain of salt. When I first built it I ran the typical stress tests and memory testers for a few days and had zero problems. For normal use I typically run it with 30 or so Chrome tabs open and run some other basic apps. When I'm done for the night I just put it to sleep and then wake it up the next day. It will do this for weeks at a time until Windows updates and forces a reboot. It just does not want to crash, ever.

My old computer would typically start to run very slowly after a week of the same regimen and need a reboot to get back to normal or sometimes just hang and force a reboot.

Another vote for the Asus Crosshair Hero VII.

Fantastic board with my 2700X and it has my 2x8 Flare X running at 3466 CL14 without issues.

like this
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi, 2700X, 4x8GB TridentZ running at 3200 (CL14-14-14-34-1T) without issues. Color me impressed.

Well I have my MSI X470 gaming Plus...it is a good board was doing 4.3 on my 2600x. and yeah it runs 3200mhz ram.

"Best" would be the CH VII. Now, how much better it is versus other much cheaper offerings - that's quite debatable.

So if you really mean "best", I'd go there. If you want "very good" - then I'd maybe drop a tier to the strix if you want ASUS (which is very good hw in general), or explore other not-quite-top-tier offerings from other vendors.

I've had good luck with my rig since last May. System is on 24x7. I only have one suggestion: Be sure to give it enough power. I went through two 850W units before upping to 1000W to stop the sudden shutdowns on mine. I believe it was OCP kicking in due to weird/bad PSU design or poor interaction with MB/GPU VRMs under certain loads.

At this point, anyone buying a 4 series board (and plans on at least an 8c/16t cpu for now and OCs or uses PBO) should be buying the board with the best VRM layout possible in their price range since Ryzen3 is just around the corner...I think AMD is going to come out swinging hard with the clocks on the higher SKU 6 and 8c models to put a nail in the coffin of the 9900K and take the OC crown (5.2Ghz on golden 9900Ks) either by pure speed+ IPC or IPC alone if they have chose to revert back to a Athlon64 type design (High IPC low clock speed)...

I am starting to think this may be the case since Mark Papermaster has said that TSMC is vastly overstating the frequency uplift of 7nm on an IC with any sort of complexity, let alone a cutting edge x86 many core design. I hope I am wrong and we get another Athlon64 level jump (with that sweet 50% OC headroom that the 90nm Winchester cores offered!!)...50% OC days are gone, but man it was crazy that I just referenced a 90nm CPU that was released just a hair over 1/3 of my life ago...How far we have truly come!

No issues with my Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac but there weren't many options in ITX to begin with.

Back