best/most worth it VR game for rift

slyxxmarbo

n00b
Hi everyone!

i bought a used rift without the controllers from my friend a lil while back. so far i;ve only played and viewed the free games on the Oculus store. but i recently received a $50 gift card for steam and was wondering what game i should get.

i've been eying the Batman VR game but would very much like your suggestions for other good titles.

thx everyone!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't know what types of games you're into, but I personally enjoy Elite Dangerous quite a bit on my rift and it doesn't require touch controllers.

Just pick a game that's on the list (Hagrid linked it) from the Genre you like. More often than not, you'll love it.

I've never been disappointed with the gameplay with any of the games I purchased on that list. Quite the opposite. My problem tends to be other things with VR. I have to mainly play VR sitting down. My play area is about 3'x3' and going outside of that 3' means i'm running into a wall, desk, fridge or chair and whatever things I have on those four items. Cups, soup bowls, chicken, tea cups, protein shakes, phones, speakers.

There's seems to be a safe zone of Genres that VR plays really well with and as such the VR has a lot of these games:
1. Shooters
2. Racers
3. Piloting (Flying)
4. Horror

VR can be sometimes too real. When it crosses that line anything can happen. For example If it's like trying to stand and play paranormal activity. My body naturally wants to walk and I find myself leaning forward like I'm really walking. I can feel my body trying to walk with the avatar.

I considered myself having a strong stomach until I started playing VR. The sensation of actually being in the world is good enough that even though I know it's fake, everything else thinks I'm really there. No wonder why ALIENS was considered to be so damn scary in VR.

If you like cars, invest in a wheel and pedals. Invest in flight gear if you like flying. If you like horror, make sure to invest in adult diapers.

Just pick a game that's on the list (Hagrid linked it) from the Genre you like. More often than not, you'll love it.

I've never been disappointed with the gameplay with any of the games I purchased on that list. Quite the opposite. My problem tends to be other things with VR. I have to mainly play VR sitting down. My play area is about 3'x3' and going outside of that 3' means i'm running into a wall, desk, fridge or chair and whatever things I have on those four items. Cups, soup bowls, chicken, tea cups, protein shakes, phones, speakers.

There's seems to be a safe zone of Genres that VR plays really well with and as such the VR has a lot of these games:
1. Shooters
2. Racers
3. Piloting (Flying)
4. Horror

VR can be sometimes too real. When it crosses that line anything can happen. For example If it's like trying to stand and play paranormal activity. My body naturally wants to walk and I find myself leaning forward like I'm really walking. I can feel my body trying to walk with the avatar.

I considered myself having a strong stomach until I started playing VR. The sensation of actually being in the world is good enough that even though I know it's fake, everything else thinks I'm really there. No wonder why ALIENS was considered to be so damn scary in VR.

If you like cars, invest in a wheel and pedals. Invest in flight gear if you like flying. If you like horror, make sure to invest in adult diapers.
Windlands is like this as well with heights. But it helped me get over my fear of heights. It took quite a while and my feet/ankle) muscles hurt after few minutes of playing trying to steady myself. I finally got to where I could play it until I got bored and wanted to try other stuff.

Robo Recall is what I started with, just to get "into" it - worth every cent I didn't pay (free with rift bundle). My wife is loving dimensions (or something like that).

Robo Recall is great! I like racing and flight games, so Asetto Corsa is mind blowing with a good wheel, full pedal box, and shifter combo. IL2 recently added VR, and it's so much fun with a flight stick. I got my pedals to work with the game as well for the rudders, so that's a plus.

Other than that, Elite is fun, Obduction is fun if you like Myst. Keep talking and nobody explodes is a good game to play with friends.

IL2 is great with the rift. After my first night with it I had a pretty sore neck from straining to check my 6 in the fights. Wow, that almost sounds dirty.

I have only played a few games on the rift as opposed to the vive but I really enjoy Echo Arena but I see you dont have controllers

Luckys Tale is cool
Elite Dangerous is pretty awesome too

I have battlezone but haven't played it yet

With the Rift, the Touch controllers are a must have IMHO.

Then, immediately get Lone Echo.

That game alone easily justifies and validates my entire investment into VR hardware. Simply amazing. Mind blowingly amazing.

I know I'm late to the party, but don't buy any games until you buy a set of Touch Controllers. With them you will get one of the best VR experiences - Robo Recall, and another sensor to open up your available play space.

I can't recommend any games for your Steam gift card until you get a set of touch controllers; then Arizona Sunshine, Sariento, SuperHot are all very viable choices.

In the Oculus store the free (for now) multiplayer Echo Arena is very good. Also as Z06 mentioned, Lone Echo.

ANYONE READING THIS WITH EITHER A VIVE OR RIFT NEEDS TO GET IN ON ECHO ARENA. You might need to paint before you move if you're worried about a security deposit... You can clean the scuffs off the controllers with a pencil eraser.

I know I'm late to the party, but don't buy any games until you buy a set of Touch Controllers. With them you will get one of the best VR experiences - Robo Recall, and another sensor to open up your available play space.

I can't recommend any games for your Steam gift card until you get a set of touch controllers; then Arizona Sunshine, Sariento, SuperHot are all very viable choices.

In the Oculus store the free (for now) multiplayer Echo Arena is very good. Also as Z06 mentioned, Lone Echo.

ANYONE READING THIS WITH EITHER A VIVE OR RIFT NEEDS TO GET IN ON ECHO ARENA. You might need to paint before you move if you're worried about a security deposit... You can clean the scuffs off the controllers with a pencil eraser.

thx for the advice. i will save for a pair of controllers!

Rec Room
Robo Recall

HOT DOGS, HORSESHOES, HAND GRENADES - holy crap it's so good. You just shoot guns at shooting range but the interaction is incredible and impossible without vr controls of vive/rift

also - oculus medium is just magic.

Dead Effect 2 VR is pretty good. I have been playing it quite a bit and it's pretty intense.

Robo Recall and iRacing are my two favorites. Assetto Corsa is good, too, but not as good (or as realistic) as iRacing, though much easier to get into and cheaper. Doom3 BFG with the VR mod is also really good. I'd like to try Alien Isolation with the VR mod as well as that's supposed to be excellent. I plan to buy Kona when they enable VR for it as the beta was supposed to be really good, and the whole premise seems pretty cool. Nothing else has really jumped out at me, I'm not big into wave shooters which seems to be about half of what is available out there (even if the genre does lend itself well to VR), Robo Recall kind of stradles the line between FPS and wave shooter.

I normally don't pimp games, but again, if you like science fiction, space, and robots, then simply put:

Lone Echo is simply an amazing, must have VR title.

The first time you leave the mining ship and are literally by yourself in space... unreal. All the little details, how a cutting laser and scanner are built into your robotic hand... how you tap the side of your helmet to turn your helmet light on/off, your arm's built-in thrusters for fine tuning your trajectory, how a thruster backpack works, the entire movement mechanic in zero-G, how they modeled your robotic body (arms, torso, legs), how your hands look and interact with what you grab, how your shadow looks outside, how your AI suit takes radiation damage, the environments, story, etc. My only gripe with the game is that I wish it was longer. Took me a solid 8 hours to play through, but man what an experience! There are times you just sit there and take in the view... I really hope there's a sequel.

Seriously, this is a must have title for VR. If you haven't played it yet, you are missing out big time on what I consider the best use of VR in a game to date, period.

lone_echo.gif

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

i bought a used rift without the controllers from my friend a lil while back. so far i;ve only played and viewed the free games on the Oculus store. but i recently received a $50 gift card for steam and was wondering what game i should get.

i've been eying the Batman VR game but would very much like your suggestions for other good titles.

thx everyone!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Save up and buy the touch controllers. Then you get Robo Recall and Dead and Buried for free.

Back