Best / Most recommended hardware media player??

Soulstice

[H]ard|Gawd
What up guys!

I just wanted to get some quick opinions, based on your own experiences with the various available hardware media-players (i.e. Asus O!Play, WD Live, Patriot Theatre, etc, etc.)

I will be purchasing one within the next week or so, and, thus far, I'm leaning toward the Western Digital Live Hub

I have experience with the WD TV Live Plus, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I purchased for my parents roughly 4 months back, and they love it. I simply fill up a removable USB 2.5-inch hard drive everyone few months or so with new content, movies, etc.

In fact, I would probably go ahead and purchase another one for myself, but given that the Western Digital Live Hub comes with a pre-installed 1 TB hard drive, and has the ability to stream content to any PC in the home, etc, it just seems more cost-effective and feature-full (especially being able to use it as my centralized MP3 storage center).
Since I live in Canada, I'm fully aware that I will not be able to take advantage of the NetFlix and Blockbuster OnDemand features, but these are secondary benefits, and I see that as a bonus. Plus, I'm sure when Netflix and BB decide to license their services in Canada, WD will simply release a firmware update for the Live Hub.

So yes, aside from the Western Digital Live Hub, are there any other units that I should have at the top of my list?? Here are my requirements:

1. Play any and all formats
2. Up to 1080P output via HDMI (bonus if the unit supports component-out ports as well)
3. Optical-Out Sound (bonus if the unit provides a second out-put for normal stereo cable)
4. Can stream music / video to any PC / laptop on the network (this is a must, as I want to centralize all my music)

Bonuses, but not mandatory:

1. Provides ability to surf Internet (or stream content from multiple supported sites)
2. Built-in Torrent client
3. Built-in hard drive with the ability to add additional drive(s) via eSATA and / or USB 2/3

Thanks in advance for all the assistance

I suggest you do some research at AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Then, if you want more data, look at iBoum:

http://www.iboum.com/index.php

My opinion: they all have limits/problems, some caused by the hardware, software, or content providers. So, don't spend too much because it's lifespan will likely be less than 1 to 2 years.

One of the biggest problems seems to be the network speed/nis built into the units....some just don't want to stream over a network at Blu-Ray speeds (many get hickups if a stream is >22Mbps is needed).

I picked up the Seagate Theater+ for $40 this holiday, just to play around...and for the money/life span, this is a good (not great) unit. The WD Hub may seem good now, but it will not be "the" box in another year........that's just the way it is.

Apparently, Iomega TV with Boxee will be available soon. Based on the initial specs, it will do everything I need, including streaming media to other PCs, TVs, etc over the network.

The current D-Link Boxee is unable to do that, and, hence, why I can't go with it at this point. I would prefer Boxee over the WD, but WD seems to be the only device capable of supporting everyting I need at a reasonable price.

Check out mpcclub.com they have a review for just about every media player on the market. My choice would be WDTV live plus or PCH A-200 for low end and PCH C-200 or HDI Dune Prime for high end.

Back