"Best"/ Most Modern, AGP Motherboard?

interested

Gawd
Hello, I could use some help from the inteligent people who visit this forum.

I have an old Video card that i would like to continue to use its an: ASUS 9800XT 256MB Delux AGP.

Now My question is what is the most modern motherboard that supports AGP?

Here are a few of the things im looking for in such a motherboard.
( it dosent have to have all the things im listing although the more the better)

So if its an Intel Board
* Latest Socket ( 775 )
* Supports latest dual core chips ( Pentium D)
* Supports DDR2 RAM
* A few PCIE ports
* Couple of SATA ports
* Firewire
* 7.1 (8channel) OB sound
*etc...

IF its an AMD Board
*Latest Socket (939)
*Supports latest dual core chips ( Athlon X2)
* Couple of SATA ports
* Firewire
* 7.1 (8channel) OB sound
*etc...

Now the best one i could find, and by best, i dont mean its a good motherboard, just that it contains the most modern equipment along with old AGP ( i have no idea on reliability of this board as i cant find any reviews on it)

Is the following: ASUS P5VD1-X

Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Core CPU support
VIA PT880 Ultra Chipset (i would have prefered Intel chipset)
Dual-Channel DDR 400/333 ( would prefer DDR2)
PCI Express & AGP8X combo solution
SATA with RAID 0, 1, JBOD

I am more familiar with ASUS motherboards, but feel free to suggest any other maker.
Also if you know of any reviews that feature such comparisons of modern motherboards that also support AGP, feel free to post a link to them here.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

( dont suggest i drop my video card because i dont plan on doing that, I plan on using this as a secondary computer, my main computer already contains a new 1900xt, and top end Motherboard etc..)

batmanwcm said:
In your case, I would get an AsRock board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Supports Socket 939 and dual core. It's built by Asus and has AGP and PCI-e. Therefore, you can keep you 9800xt and if you want the option to upgrade to a PCI-e video card later on, it will be fine.

Thanks I never would have found that one.
Also i dont think that "Asus" and "AsRock" are the same company(not that it matters).
Also i found the AsRock intel equivalent ( which i actually prefer as it supports DDR2 as well)

Too bad though that now i have no idea where in Canada to buy this, as Newegg wont deliver to Canada :(

Keep up the suggestions guys.

interested said:
Also i dont think that "Asus" and "AsRock" are the same company(not that it matters).
Also i found the AsRock intel equivalent ( which i actually prefer as it supports DDR2 as well)

Too bad though that now i have no idea where in Canada to buy this, as Newegg wont deliver to Canada :(

No. You do not want this board. This was one of the initial boards that had an agp "equivalent" slot, the "agi" slot. The agp and pci-e on the intel board are horrible, and widely incompatible. **The dual sata II (socket 939) which the other poster pointed out to you is a true agp/pci-e solution**, and worthwhile. Avoid that first gen intel combo board at all costs though.

On a side not Asrock is an Asus company, well rather it's owned by Asus, more of a low end type of board maker without all the bells and whistles of the Asus boards. although the 939 dual sata 2 has enough for most people.

the dual sata 2 will actually support ddr2 as soon as the new amd socket comes out, which should be around june. they built an expansion slot on it for an adapter card for the new socket as well as the ddr2 that comes with the new socket. not sure how the performance will be effected by the card, but if it's anything like the rest of the boards capabilities it'll be alright. I currently do run the 939 dual sata 2 and it's been a great board for the price for me, and is letting me hold onto my 6800GT until I feel like upgrading to pci-e, which probably won't be for another year. I can reccomend this board, just know that certain ones have had issues but I think there is a solution for every problem encountered. There is a more in depth thread on this board as well as several others that have a fix for most issues, if you even have any. I didn't have any and I'm not alone.

I built a computer using the ASRock board and have had no issues with it. If you need AGP, that's what I'd go with.

I was able to find a place in Canada that has them and shipping costs are pretty low, so im definately considering one of these ASRock boards. I am interested in people's experiences with these boards, and im still open to further suggestions.

Tutelary said:
No. You do not want this board. This was one of the initial boards that had an agp "equivalent" slot, the "agi" slot. The agp and pci-e on the intel board are horrible, and widely incompatible. **The dual sata II (socket 939) which the other poster pointed out to you is a true agp/pci-e solution**, and worthwhile. Avoid that first gen intel combo board at all costs though.

Humm. are you sure that this board which uses the via880pro chipset is the board your thinking of?
Because on their website i dont see anything mentioning its not a true agp pcie solution or "agi".
The specs for this card as claimed on their website, states:
- PCI Express Graphics slot
- AGP8X/4X slot (1.5V only)

I think your refering to the older intel chipset ones they had, which in their specs they do mention is "agi"
Link to 775Dual-915GL page
Link to 775Dual-915GV page

kirbyrj said:
I built a computer using the ASRock board and have had no issues with it. If you need AGP, that's what I'd go with.

which board the socket939 one or the via chipset 775 one?
Are you using AGP or PCIE video card?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

interested said:
I was able to find a place in Canada that has them and shipping costs are pretty low, so im definately considering one of these ASRock boards. I am interested in people's experiences with these boards, and im still open to further suggestions.

Humm. are you sure that this board which uses the via880pro chipset is the board your thinking of?
Because on their website i dont see anything mentioning its not a true agp pcie solution or "agi".
The specs for this card as claimed on their website, states:
- PCI Express Graphics slot
- AGP8X/4X slot (1.5V only)

I think your refering to the older intel chipset ones they had, which in their specs they do mention is "agi"
Link to 775Dual-915GL page
Link to 775Dual-915GV page

which board the socket939 one or the via chipset 775 one?
Are you using AGP or PCIE video card?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

hrm. its possible I'm thinking of one of the others, although places on the web like here:
http://www.fdshop.com/prodotto.asp?id=30834
list it as AGI. one of the newegg reviewers lists it as AGI as well.
Better safe than sorry :p (maybe write to asrock and make sure)
If you dont absolutely NEED ddr2, the amd stuff is a better long term solution anyway, quite honestly.

I'll also recommend the ASRock board. I built a box for a colleague a coupla weeks ago with a 3800x2 that I pulled from my machine after I got an Opteron 170. I took a chance on a refurb ASRock Dual SATA from Newegg for the grand price of $40. It came with nothin'. No cables, manual or drivers. I downloaded what I needed from their site (I only really needed to know where the panel connectors went; just guessed at everything else). The machine fired right up; I gave it a mild OC at 2.3 and swapped in her old Matrox P650. She's been using it for lots of graphic production (we're a newspaper) for the past two weeks, and not a complaint. Certainly not the fanciest board, but at that price it's fantastic if you're looking to keep your AGP....

Asrock 939 dual sata2 mobo fan here.

Have a 3700+ in it clocked up to FX-57 speed, two sata drives in mirror, a couple of pata drives, an optical, 4x512mb. It doesn't have built in gig-e or firewire, but that's what slots are for.

As for where to buy in Canada, Ncix has it and it wasn't hard to find locally - it's in the distributor catalogs, local guy ordered it for me, had it in two days no problem at all.

With the exception of the 7.1 sound, there are a lot of motherboards that would do. I liked my K8N Neo2 Platinum.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just sell the video card and get a PCIe board. You can probably get a heck of a deal on a 6800GS or something "cheap" which would put that 9800XT to shame. Not to mention you could sell your 9800XT and make $100 or so.

kirbyrj said:
Honestly, if I were you, I'd just sell the video card and get a PCIe board. You can probably get a heck of a deal on a 6800GS or something "cheap" which would put that 9800XT to shame. Not to mention you could sell your 9800XT and make $100 or so.

Well...
1) i don't know anyone interested in buying my 9800XT DeluxVIVO AGP video card
And i dont plan on selling it on Ebay/Newsgroups etc..
Because i plainly dont have the time to deal with such things.

2) Even if i did, i would not make enough to buy a card of equal or better quality.
I paid around $600+ for it when it was brand spanking new,
and now i would be hard pressed to get anything decent back,
its hard to price this type of card when its no longer in the retail market.
The closest i found was this cardwhich is a slower and inferior 9600 pro and they are asking $200Canadian for it.
If you go to Ati's website (Link) they are still asking $399(CDN) on their online store for a slower 9800Pro LOL.

3)I already own another brand new machine i just recently made, which has a 1900xt card in it.
Like i mentioned in my original post, this is to be used as a secondary system.
SO i really dont need anything better then my 9800XT card.

If this isn't your primary machine, what are you going to do with it?

Do you really need the latest and greatest features?

As a secondary system, you could buy basically any Nforce3 motherboard and a Turtle Beach sound card (unless you're building an HTPC and that's why you wanted the 7.1 onboard) and be good to go.

Now a quick question on that full functionality dual SATA II board- can you run an AGP and a PCIe card concurrently for a multimonitor setup?

wpd7 said:
Now a quick question on that full functionality dual SATA II board- can you run an AGP and a PCIe card concurrently for a multimonitor setup?

Yes... I have had the ASRoack 939 Dual since for a while and it's good board - not a "great' board but for less than $70 ;). Anyway, you CAN run an PCI-e and AGP card at the same time - it's not an SLi set up by any means, but it's a dual video card set up. The board has been very stable for me and I've managed a decent OC on my 3400+ (running at 2.6 Ghz nice and stable - 11 x 240)

I was running a 6800GT (AGP) when I bought the board, and just got a 7800GT - for grins and giggles before moving into my SATA 2 drive (only one header for SATA 2... :( ) I had both cards running and had four monitors going just to see if it could be done.

As a heads up, the AGP on this bard is a TRUE AGP slot. The IDE connectors are in a poor location so you'll need to be a little creative in how you lay your cables. The SATA header placement isn't the greatest either, but it is all workable. The best thing about this board is the price, the stability, and the ugrade options. With a good deal on an A64 CPU you can make the move for less then $200.

Peace,
Tim

Another satisfied ASRock owner here.

I got the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 a few weeks ago, and I'm quite happy with it. I got it for the same reason as Tim -- I wanted to upgrade, but I didn't want to get rid of my 6800GT yet. The board was also reasonably priced -- I paid $100 CAD for it.

The board has most features seen on new motherboards (SATA2 [1 port], SATA [2 ports], 7.1 Realtek sound, etc.) It doesn't have onboard firewire, though, which is something that Interested was looking for.

The board layout is a bit weird, but not terrible. The IDE and floppy connectors are somewhat inconveniently positioned, so you'll probably need longer cables to hide them. I also had to slightly rewire my ATX power switch cable, since the board expects a 2 pin connector instead of the standard 3 pin one.

diablerie said:
Another satisfied ASRock owner here.

I got the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 a few weeks ago, and I'm quite happy with it. I got it for the same reason as Tim -- I wanted to upgrade, but I didn't want to get rid of my 6800GT yet. The board was also reasonably priced -- I paid $100 CAD for it.

The board has most features seen on new motherboards (SATA2 [1 port], SATA [2 ports], 7.1 Realtek sound, etc.) It doesn't have onboard firewire, though, which is something that Interested was looking for.

The board layout is a bit weird, but not terrible. The IDE and floppy connectors are somewhat inconveniently positioned, so you'll probably need longer cables to hide them. I also had to slightly rewire my ATX power switch cable, since the board expects a 2 pin connector instead of the standard 3 pin one.

I just plugged it in with a pin hanging over the edge and booted fine :p

interested said:

Where do you live? In Toronto, Canada Computers (free Canadian delivery), PCCanada(.com), Sonnam have it for about 95 CDN (about $85 US). On the web NCIX and a few others have it. You can also buy it cheap ($69 US) at Monarch Computers, as they will ship to Canada.

Arkham said:
Where do you live? In Toronto, Canada Computers (free Canadian delivery), PCCanada(.com), Sonnam have it for about 95 CDN (about $85 US). On the web NCIX and a few others have it. You can also buy it cheap ($69 US) at Monarch Computers, as they will ship to Canada.

Cool thanks for that info. ill check those places out,
Free shipping is always nice.
And given the high Canadian Dollar Value, US shops are looking better and better.
I may however just get it from a canadian source to avoid all the customs issues.

batmanwcm said:
In your case, I would get an AsRock board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Supports Socket 939 and dual core. It's built by Asus and has AGP and PCI-e. Therefore, you can keep you 9800xt and if you want the option to upgrade to a PCI-e video card later on, it will be fine.

Thanks for that link. :) I just got an X850 Pro for Christmas, so I wasn't desiring to upgrate my card anytime soon. But I'm still running an XP 2200, which is getting a bit too old.

interested said:
Cool thanks for that info. ill check those places out,
Free shipping is always nice.
And given the high Canadian Dollar Value, US shops are looking better and better.
I may however just get it from a canadian source to avoid all the customs issues.
Yep, the CDN dollar is making US purchases a real steal, but only if you can get decent shipping via USPS. The best thing to do is arrange a day-trip to the US and really clean up.

Still, I haven't seen a lower US price for the Opteron 146 that I'm getting. That's available for a USD-equivalent of $206. Whoo-hoo!

I really don't see the point to holding on to your 3 generation old AGP card, if you're going to be upgrading everything else, why not go to PCIe. If you had an X850 or 6800GT or higher I MIGHT say hold on to AGP. But its really not worth it for a sub $100 videocard.

If you make the full jump to something like a 945 chipset motherboard that should last you a while as you can drop in a CedarMill or Presler chip and crank either up to 4+Ghz. Then you'll also be able to buy better videocards for cheaper, as right now all of the fast AGP cards are selling at a premium over the equivalent PCIe card. (look at 6800GS's or even worse the 7800GS cost more than the faster 7800GT)

chrisf6969 said:
I really don't see the point to holding on to your 3 generation old AGP card, if you're going to be upgrading everything else, why not go to PCIe. If you had an X850 or 6800GT or higher I MIGHT say hold on to AGP. But its really not worth it for a sub $100 videocard.

If you make the full jump to something like a 945 chipset motherboard that should last you a while as you can drop in a CedarMill or Presler chip and crank either up to 4+Ghz. Then you'll also be able to buy better videocards for cheaper, as right now all of the fast AGP cards are selling at a premium over the equivalent PCIe card. (look at 6800GS's or even worse the 7800GS cost more than the faster 7800GT)
His card should still have some life left in it, I think. Plus he's got the PCIe option for next year.

I have an ATI X800XT Platinum Edition with 2.5 years left on its warranty. That's why I want a cheap AGP board (read: Asrock Dual) to tide me over another year or two.

...Especially with the heated up competition in the next 6 months. I think a year from now all these opterons and X2s are gonna look quaint, so you should get the best value on your upgrade now, so you'll be able to justify your next one...

Back