Best Monitor for Crap Eyesight @ 24-28" under $400?

OrangeWolf

Gawd
I'd love some suggestions.

I do game but it's more casual and with friends than competitive, so while it'd be nice to have a monitor good for gaming I do NOT want to make that a priority in the selection process. I do a bit of video creation and editing for work. Color accuracy is a plus but I already have a 21.5" IPS monitor that will become my second monitor after purchasing a new, larger one. So that's not super vital either.

Most important? I want to stop leaning forward all the damn time to see anything on the screen. I was born with a cataract, had glaucoma by age 8, see double on a daily basis, and struggled getting a driver's license due to the eyesight exam. I current have my 21.5" monitor set at "150%" in the Windows settings and I still have to lean forward to read half the time.

I'm concerned that if I go up to 2k or 4k everything on screen will be 'too small' to comfortably see at 150% (I'm using Windows 7 atm, does Windows 10 have a different option there?). Thoughts on that?

Regardless I am looking for monitor recommendations under $400 or so in the 24-28" range. I'm planning to get 2k but haven't decided. I'd like good contrast and viewing angles and brightness and anything that makes the damn thing easy to see. IPS and response time are a plus but secondary to getting something that will allow me to read it without leaning over my damn desk (and potentially effecting my posture, health, eyesight strain, etc).

I don't like ultra-wide. I prefer 16:10 to 16:9 but not a big deal. I'd considered picking up one of the Dell 24" 1900x1200 monitors but I hear great things about 144Hz and 2k and 4k and blah blah blah. (I just bought a 1070 Ti, if that matters).

Thanks in advance!

(P.S. Blame spelling errors on the rum, sorry mates)

High resolution with scaling is actually easier on eyesight than low res with no scaling. I use 4K and Windows 7 with 150% scaling and everything is more readable and sharp than my old 24" 1080p.

If you have the space, buy and a video card to support it, buy a Samsung UN43MU6290 4k HDTV. Yes, the thing is a monster but, it is very easy on the eyes and I am using one now at 4k res and 125% scaling.

I don't have room for something that large, sadly. Cheers tho, looks like a great TV...

...and on that note, at this point, what's the real difference in using a TV versus using a monitor? What do monitors offer that TVs don't (in general)?

I'd get an IPS given what your op stated. Should be able to find a good one in your budget at 27 inches.
Yeah, I lean towards getting a second IPS to go with my current one. But are they supposed to be more readable or just have better colors? I currently have one TN panel and one IPS and while the IPS is prettier by far it's not easier to read... but that might be because my crappy TN panel is lower resolution so the letters are huge at 150%. So my current set-up isn't a good comparison.

Regardless thanks - IPS is just so pretty it's hard to pass up. I might go to Best Buy and see if they have a Quantum Dot I can eyeball to see what it looks like and get an IPS if I don't think it holds up.

EDIT: Yeah, going to go with your recommendation and my first instinct to stick to an IPS screen. I read up on the Quantum Dot and it doesn't seem like it's all that.

Last edited:
So been reading up on this monitor: Dell UP2718Q
Here's a review. Here's the official page.

But there's also the U2718Q (not UP, just U). It appears to be around 1/3 of the cost of the UP version on some websites, but I can't figure out what the difference in them is?

Not to mention that the UP2718Q is listed as IPS, PLS, and regularly LED on different sites. I've also seen the same model number listed as having either a LG or a Samsung panel.

All in all though it seems like a good monitor but I'm getting confused by the UP versus U aspect of it. Thoughts appreciated.

So been reading up on this monitor: Dell UP2718Q
Here's a review. Here's the official page.

But there's also the U2718Q (not UP, just U). It appears to be around 1/3 of the cost of the UP version on some websites, but I can't figure out what the difference in them is?

Not to mention that the UP2718Q is listed as IPS, PLS, and regularly LED on different sites. I've also seen the same model number listed as having either a LG or a Samsung panel.

All in all though it seems like a good monitor but I'm getting confused by the UP versus U aspect of it. Thoughts appreciated.
One has HDR, while the other doesn't.

One has HDR, while the other doesn't.
Dell website says that both do, see the links here:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...18q/apd/210-amlm/monitors-monitor-accessories (U-model, mentions HDR in description but not title)
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...18q/apd/210-amvp/monitors-monitor-accessories (UP-model, mentions HDR in title)

But now that I'm looking at it it looks like the "P" is for premier color, so I'm gonna go look that up now.

Thanks mate - I might not have noticed any of that without your comment.

Slightly different specs between the two as well, doesn't look like they are using the same panels. The UP appears to be a lot higher quality panel.

The U version does mention HDR, but it's that fake "Dell HDR"

Story of my day...

So I have a short list of around seven ~24" monitors I'm looking at (all IPS), and around three 27" ones. Planning to read a few reviews and pick this weekend if there's any deals.

But I was at Best Buy today picking up a Christmas Gift (external DVD-RW drive for my parents) when I happened to see a box for one of the Samsung monitors I had made note of. I recognized it from my list and a review on TFTcentral review (oddly it has a PLS/IPS display while the larger version doesn't).

So I pointed at the box and asked if they were on display anywhere.

The guy just looked at me and then said "No, but it will be really similar to that one."

Then he pointed at a monitor that was by Samsung and also 24". But it was curved, had a TN panel, and I think was something other than 60 Hz. The one I had wanted to see was flat, had a PLS/IPS panel, and was 60 Hz.

Yeah, dude. Just like that one. Thanks. >.>

Back