Best monitor choice (~$2000 / ~$4000 max)

~m3

n00b
Alright, the situation is simple. Somehow I have 2 grand to spend. And I'm tired of my current monitors (1x 20", 2x 24", Cintiq 21UX). Now I'm looking for something that would serve at least 2 of the following 3 needs:
  • gaming
  • art (that's what the cintiq is primarlily for
  • multimedia and the such (watching movies, photoshop for some photo editing)

Now somehow I would like to keep within my 2000 budget, I could scrape up another 4000 if I sold the Cintiq and some other crap and got a "normal" tablet.

I figured that something of the following might be nice:
  • 30" (not a TV, a 2560*1600 monitor)
  • 120Hz (3d stuff)
  • S-IPS or something that would come closest to:
    • decent (good) viewing angles
    • near perfect colours
    • gaming-grade performance
  • displayport
  • easy calibration

Now I've never been much into displays, even though I'm a tech freak, so if I said anything stupid please forgive me. Now I know I can't get all of that at the same time, but as much as possible would be fine. Now I prefer something like this:

30" > 120Hz > colours > response time etc.

I know that 120Hz doesn't come with 30" (yet? :p), that's what the "priority" thing I posted was all about. I already considered the iMac but from what I hear the screen isn't that good. What is the main difference between the 3007WFP-HC and 3008WFP? Namely, I might have problems getting my hands on any version (HC or no HC) of the 3007. I also heard a few positive things about HP's LP3065, if you would know anything about that?

IMO, black deepness (contrast ratio) is the most important factor to look for in a monitor for multimedia purposes. Unfortunately, this is an issue with all the 30" that are currently available.

Which 30" would have the best contrast, viewing angles and backlight (I heard that some screens have huge differences between different corners and such)?

So far I think that the Dell 3007WFP-HC (maybe the 3008WFP) might be a good all-round choice, but I still haven't let the HP LP3065 out of my sight.

Is there any other screen that can compete against these? Or does anyone think I should wait for newer panels to come out?

I don't think there are any new 30" panels coming out anytime soon.

You're only choice for 120hz at the moment is 22-24", and they are all TN (crappy viewing angles, crappy colors, etc...), so since you care about colors and viewing angles 120hz isn't going to work regardless of size.

The Dell 3008WFP looks like it should be a winner, but I don't really pay attention to the 30" market, sorry.

I have read that some people have issues with input lag with the 3008 model.

I heard that there is something like 60ms input lag (sorry if this is wrong) and that's why I'm still considering the HP (some people say it's "way" better).

Have you looked at the dell u2711. Its not 30" but seems to a hit around here.

Which 30" would have the best contrast, viewing angles and backlight (I heard that some screens have huge differences between different corners and such)?

So far I think that the Dell 3007WFP-HC (maybe the 3008WFP) might be a good all-round choice, but I still haven't let the HP LP3065 out of my sight.

Is there any other screen that can compete against these? Or does anyone think I should wait for newer panels to come out?

Long story short got a rebranded HP 3065 about this time last year for 499.00 works perfectly and shows up as a HP3065 in device manager
After doing weeks of research I didn't go Dell for the simple reason of there return policy(recycled other people returns) if I had a problem
HP got a license agreement from LG to produce these 30' monitors
No changes in 30' market for the last year but LG has a newer model
NEC cost more but no real avantage
PS no sparkling effect either
The best money I didn't have to spend

Why would I go with the 3007wfp-hc instead of the 3008wfp? Only reason could be that 3007wfp doesn't have wide gamut, but that would be the non hc version?

~m3 if you have that amount of cash to spend and need top quality, since you already have cintiq and 24'ers i reccomend the top 30" monitors with hardware calibration:
NEC 3090 SV or the upcoming ColorEdge CG303W again with IPS and hardware calibration and of course a hefty price tag...
If you want to keep budget near $2K, get the versions without hardware calibration, the 3090 and calibrate with a spyder.

Why would I go with the 3007wfp-hc instead of the 3008wfp? Only reason could be that 3007wfp doesn't have wide gamut, but that would be the non hc version?

The 3007wfp does not have a scaler like the 3008 thus it has less input lag.

I just got a 3008wfp, I can't notice any input lag when playing counter strike, quake or any of those twitchy FPS, and the scaler in my opinion I wouldn't live without. I read somewhere that the 3007 can only display like 2 resolutions. I could be completely wrong though.

I would try the U2711 due to it having the best black level of any large IPS. If it doesn't look good, return it.

For gaming there are only 3 choices anyone should consider right now:

1) U2711 IPS $1000
2) 27inch 2ms Samsung TN panel $375
3) 120hz 23.6" Acer $399 (but that size in 16:9 is too small for any non-mongloid so that leaves only 2 choices)

If it's not immediate need, you might want to wait until the NEC refresh as they're coming out with new 27" and 30" models.

I have the 27" iMac. It's pretty low-lag, standard sRGB, looks very nice, but the glossy screen will annoy you if you deal with dark colors a lot. Also, the displayport is pretty picky about which cards it will work with, I specifically got a 5970 as it is compatible.

I have the NEC 3090. It's good, very flexible, but the AG coating is rather strong (IPS sparkle). It's also one of the few 30 inchers that has a pivoting stand for 1600x2560.

I also have the Samsung 305T. It has pretty good blacks, but as a PVA monitor you'll get gamma shifting. Also it only has a single DVI input.

I haven't seen any of the Dells in person. But I imagine they're basically similar to the NEC without all the calibration features.

If you're lucky, you may be able to find a Sony LMD2451W 24" for under $3000...

It's probably the best you can get for the budget restraint.

If you feel like mortgaging your house (not recommended, especially in the current economic climate), consider the following:

Sony BVML231 23" CRT Replacement - Comfortably the best for color and black-level reproduction on the market.

eCinema DPX-2310 23" CRT Replacement - Unrivaled black-level.

There a few others such as Barco models, or Ikegami, but as the above, are aimed at cinematography, and broadcast production professionals, where color is mission-critical.

The bets of both worlds can be had at a spared CRT, such as the Sony Artisan (GDM-C520K). It is perfection in terms of speed, resolution, and color accuracy. Unfortunately, it's 21", and also a space hog. But if you ar egoing to be using it as a monitor, just bring it closer to your face :). It has a recommend resolution of 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz.

Amazingly someone has a brand new, boxed specimen on ebay, and it's within your budget at a cool $1300!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@sweet - I don't really have the space for anything that large or pricey :p

@alamone - when the new NECs are coming?

It is under the $2000 mark, but I love my Dell 27" Display. It has a media reader and USB hub built in, as well as a ton of ports, VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, Display port, Composite, component, ans s-Video. I like the 1920*1200 resolution and anti-glare finish

I will have to say, that I don't do any gaming on it though.

Back