Best modem and router for 1gb service w. Spectrum internet

Need suggestion for high speed internet setup. I'm moving to a 2500 sq. ft. house 2 stories. Will be getting spectrum 1gb high speed internet, the only service available in my area. Can you recommend what is the best modem and router setup for me to use. I'm very noob at this, usually I just use what the ISP gives me with my service, but I want to try and get my own modem and router this time. Also all my my computers are macs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Check your billing after initial setup .. my wife works for Spectrum/Charter in the retention department ... she gets a lot of calls from people asking why they are being billed for this or that when they didn't request this or that .. They get work on commissions and there are those that will add services to your account and hope you don't notice for at least 60 days so they can get the commission off of that "sale" .. my wife seems to see this more with elderly and "english is not my first language" customers .. make's her real mad that not only are customers getting screwed .. but she gets screwed on her pay fixing these accounts (you touch the account you are accountable for money made from additional services and money lost from cancelled services).

...anyways .. just a heads up.

5150Joker

2[H]4U
Spectrum doesn’t let you use your own modem, I asked them a few months back. They make you I use theirs but at least they don’t charge for it.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Spectrum doesn’t let you use your own modem, I asked them a few months back. They make you I use theirs but at least they don’t charge for it.
I used my own modem for quite awhile until I upgraded my service and it wouldn't handle the faster speeds (Spectrum/Charter)

5150Joker

2[H]4U
I used my own modem for quite awhile until I upgraded my service and it wouldn't handle the faster speeds (Spectrum/Charter)
I asked to use my own for 1 gb service when I was looking into it and they were adamant I couldn’t.

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I asked to use my own for 1 gb service when I was looking into it and they were adamant I couldn’t.
Hmm .. maybe it's just for services under a gb that they don't care then ?.. or they are being lazy and don't want any perceived hassle of whatever it is they do to configure their stuff to work with your stuff so handing you a line of BS... if your modem can handle the speeds, it shouldn't matter or be "speed specific" when allowing or not allowing customers to run/use their own. .. but I digress, I'm using their equipment now so I don't know ..

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Maybe it's just me but I don't see anything about using your modems in those.

Comast business w/ static(s) doesn't let you either. From what I've read it's because their router uses an actual routing protocol (something most small business/consumer business modems don't support) to advertise ip/subnets upstream.

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness

Comast business w/ static(s) doesn't let you either. From what I've read it's because their router uses an actual routing protocol (something most small business/consumer business modems don't support) to advertise ip/subnets upstream.
Well probably more with the fact they guarantee 99% up time with their business plan and don't want the problems that come with people using their own stuff.

Did you get past the first paragraph of the PDF? Because It's in the second:
Section 629 of the Act, as implemented by Section 76.1201 of the Rules, prohibits MVPDs from “prevent[ing] the connection or use of navigation devices” on their network... “Navigation devices” include cable modems, which are used to access “other services” (namely, broadband Internet access) offered over a cable system.

The business w/static I can kinda understand (but still don't really agree), as it's about the IP routing setup and not the modem itself. They're selling to SMBs with little-to-no IT staff, which even if it exists may not know how to set up the routing, and Comcast techs can't be expected to know how to config every brand of router out there. Also, and I'm not sure on this, it's possible maybe that business ISP offerings operate under different FCC rules than consumer?