Best mobo for the price to overclock a 9600k or 9700k

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by Ragenrok, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

My poor 4670k just died and I'm planning the upgrade now. I'm still torn between the 8600k/8700k/9600/9700k but what I can nail down for now is the mobo I want to aim for but I have been so out of the loop I have no idea where to look.

Budget is a big factor for me, my main goal is over clocking to hopefully 5ghz or higher using my custom wc loop. I have very little need for fluff features like wifi, Bluetooth or high end integrated sound as I hardwire my PC in and use a receiver so HDMI does all my audio. The biggest factor is good power distribution for steady high overclocks, but if it's the difference of a $100 I'll sacrifice the potential for that last 1-2ghz of OC lol.

Keeping price in mind what's some good choices? Build will be 95% gaming if that makes a difference with zero interest in workstation or streaming.

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

If you are looking at Z390 boards, the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro has a great VRM for the price point, better than most if not all the competition at its price point.

revenant and Ragenrok like this.
  3. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

That was the one I was eyeing up lol, just read some more reviews and I think it's exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  4. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

No prob!

5. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah I was shopping Z390 boards recently and it seems like Gigabyte variants are pretty beefy with at least a 12+1 digital vrm config which should work nicely with these 9th gen cpus. When I am ready to pull the trigger I am looking at the master with 12+2 phase IR and a sabre dac for audio. At the price point I think the Pro is for sure the best also.

6. Ragenrok

Ragenrok 2[H]4U

I actually just finished building my new rig, grabbed the aorus pro and a 9600k and it's awesome so far. 9600k is running at 5ghz easy and stable, games run so much better on this new CPU lol

revenant likes this.