Best MMOs To Play Solo

ya but they are so easy and fast you don't even need to communicate wither each other. just bomb through and grab loot.

I get that, but you still spend a ton of time in groups to do it. And anytime you are grouping with people, there is a good chance you will have one or two douches in the groups that wants to skip mobs or go a different way or AFKs for the whole thing :(

Leveling in WoW without going into dungeons is really inefficient since most of the larger rewards (gear and XP) quests all happen in 5 mans.

I like Rift but the whole things feels sort of unresponsive. I don't know if its the animation or network speed, it just feels like everything happens shortly after I wanted it to.

Last edited:
Rift is the best MMO out there period......

I agree if you like the standard MMO genre, then Rift is your ticket to nirvana. It has tons of content, completely free, and the paid version has nice perks that make you feel special without breaking the game for nonsubscribers. And the outdoor events mirror the Defiance ones as they are made by the same company. The outdoor events are so ridiculously fun!

Guild Wars 2 is really good too. Worth every dime to me.

I get that, but you still spend a ton of time in groups to do it. And anytime you are grouping with people, there is a good chance you will have one or two douches in the groups that wants to skip mobs or go a different way or AFKs for the whole thing :(

Leveling in WoW without going into dungeons is really inefficient since most of the larger rewards (gear and XP) quests all happen in 5 mans.

But who cares how efficient leveling is if the OP isn't interested in end-game raiding?

There is a ton of content outside of dungeons. When you hit 90, go to the Timeless Isle and get good gear or obtain gear through professions. There are pet battles, achievements, collecting pets, collecting mounts, transmog gear, etc.

You can easily experience 1-90 solo and have a great time doing so.

This Secret World is so darn good! I love it! Best alternative MMO / Puzzle Solver out there. And the atmosphere of the game is awesome with the mythological beasts such as vampires, werewolves, zombies, lycans, Egyptian tombs, wizards, mages, necromancy, etc. And it has a modernistic setting so you are basically playing it as if you're in a TV series.

I bought some Defiance DLC today. Defiance plays like a 3rd person shooter with tons of loot and bosses. Some are instanced, but there are tons of CO-OP outdoor server wide events every 5 minutes or so. You just show up and start shooting to join in the festivities. No grouping up required. The Defiance base game is really cheap and there is a free trial version too. Here is a referral link if interested.

Warframe is a great game if you like shooter / loot games. Here is my referral link for that too. It's Mass Effect 3 shooting combined with space ninjas and Diablo loot hoarding. They have altered the game with a massive patch every month for the past year. It's really fun!

You have 1,224.6 hours put into it Warframe. That's pretty serious.

agreed with gw2 for solo play. Finished the game on solo. was a fun game.

swtor is pretty fun too but i got bored at lvl 18.

Addicted to loot and lots of it drops. :)

Well, that prompted me to download it and try it. I saw your review on the Steam page. It seems everyone who reviews the game has dozens or hundreds of hours played which is a pretty good indicator that it's at least decent.

And yes, I used your referral link. :)

Last edited:
I played warframe a long time ago in beta, and now it has been so long I have no idea what I am doing when I try to play lol.

Like...why don't you enjoy groups? Valid question IMO. I understand though if it's more of the whole "play an RPG, but there are still real people running around and a thriving economy to take part in" deal.

I'd recommend single-player RPG's as well if you're looking for that through MMO's, some good ones like Witcher 1 and 2, or even the Mass Effect series come to mind.

Can't answer for Simmonz, but I can tell you why I like to soloing MMO's. First my time is limited and broken up. Would you like to play with someone who leaves for 5+ mins a time or goes AFK often? I have to do that because of real life things. Also I play the game to relax. I have PLENTY of interaction with people all the time, playing a game is often an escape from that. Also because of my limited time I often don't know how to play my class as well as others, and I certainly dont have the quests memorized. Because I am playing a game to unwind from the real world, I certainly dont appreciate some 14 year old kid yelling at me because I didn't flip a lever or attack the right target.

However MMO's have dynamic worlds with lots of people running around making it more realistic. They often have events which are only there for a limited time. Even the whole world can change and just exploring the differences can be fun for me (WoW- Cataclysm, etc). Real economies with buying and selling of items and all the intricacies that go along with that can make for a very fun but slow paced game experience. The crazy conversations that you can turn off or listen in on and be a participant of is something you wont find in any RPG. No off-line game will ever duplicate Barrens chat (and similar general chat experiences in other games). Even seeing some of the items I will most likely never get is still fun for me. When someone rides by on a mount that no one else has, or has a unique armor, that makes the game more fun and real to me. I'm not going to group with 20 other people and try for a few weeks to see if I can get it too, but I do like seeing it.

The best off line game isn't going to be as real as a mediocre online game. And while I do like playing epic games like Mass Effect, Half Life series, Elder Scrolls series, even simple games like Torchlight, etc I keep coming back to MMORPGs and playing them because of the other people in the world. I just don't need to play WITH them.

IMO The Secret World is one of the best most recent mmo's that you can for the most part play solo.

If you like Horror themes, HP lovecraft, classic horror films/b-movie horror (IE Re-animator, etc) you will enjoy it.

Combat is a bit boring (like mots mmo's) but the storylines, the adventure-game elements (There are some quests that are more about looking for clues/solving puzzles) make it stand out imo.

It no longer requires a subscription to play, merely the box price (which can be quite cheap).

A bit off thread but I would suggest the OP keep an eye on Star Citizen. Sounds like a solo player can have fun in it. Granted its not out yet but one to look forward to if CR pulls it off.

Planetside2 is pretty solo friendly, even if you join a squad, you can just use them to find fights, it's been quite a satisfying ride so far.

For questing SWTOR is fun. I thought the questing experience in that game is the best I've played. It was the first time I hit max level on an MMO and knew the journey.

+
swtor has a fun story and like 8 different ones to play through.

Well, that prompted me to download it and try it. I saw your review on the Steam page. It seems everyone who reviews the game has dozens or hundreds of hours played which is a pretty good indicator that it's at least decent.

And yes, I used your referral link. :)

Thx! :)

It might be too early to tell, but Elder Scrolls Online could be a great game for someone to play solo. I enjoyed my time questing alone through the beta this weekend, and I can see myself pulling a SW:TOR (that is, play through just for story) to the end with several classes.

Though PvP may be something noteworthy, too early to speculate.

It might be too early to tell, but Elder Scrolls Online could be a great game for someone to play solo. I enjoyed my time questing alone through the beta this weekend, and I can see myself pulling a SW:TOR (that is, play through just for story) to the end with several classes.

Though PvP may be something noteworthy, too early to speculate.

I dunno if i'd wanna pay a monthly sub for a game to play solo, though. There are too many single player games that offer the same experience, cheaper.

I dunno if i'd wanna pay a monthly sub for a game to play solo, though. There are too many single player games that offer the same experience, cheaper.

I hear you, no doubt. But for me personally, I'd be willing to play it, but it'd be even nicer with a few other people to group with/share stories. Again, I'm in somewhat of a minority, or however you want to label it.

I hear you, no doubt. But for me personally, I'd be willing to play it, but it'd be even nicer with a few other people to group with/share stories. Again, I'm in somewhat of a minority, or however you want to label it.

Ahhhhhhh nostalgia!!! :D

Does guild wars 2 shut down every tuesday for server maintenance? I stopped playing wow last november but the itch to play an online game has risen, but I don't really wanna pay 15 a month to play so guild wars 2 is tempting...

Last I remember was that they would patch the game at 1am and the servers would be back up 30 minutes later. That could have changed as I haven't logged in for awhile.

If you want a single player experience that actually has deep and interesting lore, combat where the environment and positioning actually matter, compelling boss fights which aren't based around damage sponge mechanics or buffing so that you can survive that one mega attack that happens occasionally and is otherwise the bosses only major move, and doesn't pad the early experience with a bunch of crap; I recommend Dark Souls.

It also has plenty of innovative online features, much of it based around "invading" the play sessions of other players for PVP. As well as inviting others for co-op either through the levels or to fight other players.

If you are an asshole like you say, double points here. Dark Souls wants you to suffer and it wants you to make other players suffer. It's so great.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with LoTOR as my primary pick. For a secondary pick, I'd go for SWTOR for the first-play through on either side with a character of your choice. Sadly, the class-quests are pretty small in number vs main-quests so when you repeat a light or darkside as another character, your gameplay experience will be 80% the same. It will be midly faster due to extra buffs but experience but not as fun as the first character. Maybe 1 LS, 1 DS, move to another game or start end-game stuff. In my opinion.

I bought GW2 on release, but don't remember playing it much. After reading this, I'm gonna load it back up. I'm like the OP, and just can't get into partying up with people. Too much work, then there's the feel like I then need to stick it out until whatever we are doing is done, so as not to screw them. So a soloish MMO is what I'm looking for.

Nobody mentioned FFXIV, is that too group dependent? Better/worse than GW2?

I bought GW2 on release, but don't remember playing it much. After reading this, I'm gonna load it back up. I'm like the OP, and just can't get into partying up with people. Too much work, then there's the feel like I then need to stick it out until whatever we are doing is done, so as not to screw them. So a soloish MMO is what I'm looking for.

Nobody mentioned FFXIV, is that too group dependent? Better/worse than GW2?

Yes, groups are needed for Primals which are necessary to complete the story. There are also Fates which benefit from partying up; keep in mind this is ALL you will be doing from 45-50...

Back