Best mini linux distro browser only

Sayth

Gawd
Hey all,

I was thinking of configuring a Virtualbox VM with a mini Linux distro containing a capable browser like Chrome or Firefox. Latest version. I was hoping for a pre-built VM. Found TinyME from virtualboxes.org, but it's terribly out of date and I can't figure out how to update it. I'm fluent in Ubuntu Desktop and Server, but that's about it.

Any recommendations? I tried Chrome OS, but it was aweful. Tinycore and DSL are too... ugly? old-school GUI. Maybe I can drop another X package on it, but wanted to find out if anyone else has an idea?

I like TimyME cause irt's < 200MB.

Ideas?

Ubuntu Server + GUI of your choice?

I think we all have an idea what you're planning on using this browser linux distro for ;)

i've used SLAX before. It's a small linux OS designed to be installed on a flash drive or as a livecd. They have plugins to easily install certain software and drivers.

I believe it comes with icecat (or iceweasel?) which is basically firefox.

I don't think it would take much time at all to create your own Arch Linux VM with just openbox and whatever web-browser you want. I'm not sure what the final size would be, but it would be a lot smaller than installing a meta-distro from an ISO. You would also always have the latest browser version much sooner than most Linux distros would offer as well.

Puppy is lightweight but dunno if you can find it as a ready built VM.

Why the concern with size? Even a full blown Ubuntu VM only uses ~ 5GB. Surely you aren't that tight up on space you can't afford a couple GBs...

yeah, i have had good experience with puppy as well. Good live distro for multimedia and web browsing.

Back