best method to unlock iphone 3gs

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
got a friend who bought a iphone to take over seas, how can i unlock it for him? I figure this is the best place to ask, rather then google. cuz i am sure some of you have done it already!

If you get stuck or cant figure out how to do the unlock PM me and I will help you out

When did he buy it? All phones manufactured after a certain date contain a patched bootrom that (as of right now) makes it impossible to have an untethered jailbreak/unlock/

I performed a jailbreak on a phone a friend got last week so it is possible to jailbreak the new Iphones

I performed a jailbreak on a phone a friend got last week so it is possible to jailbreak the new Iphones

Yes it is possible, but he said that the newer phones contain a different bootrom (bootloader), which means if you do jailreak, it will be a tethered jailbreak. What that means (for those that don't know) is that you can not power off your phone or do a hard reset, or let the battery drain to where it shuts off your phone, without having to hook it back up to the PC and rerunning blackra1n.

Every time the phone shuts off and you turn it back on, you will get the connect to iTunes logo, and have to rerun the jailbreak.

You can still respring the phone as much as you want, and I have a tethered JB too, and I've only had to rerun it a couple of times.

nice website... lol.

no instructions or anything...

do i just hit "make it rain"? lol

Yep you got it, than install Rock and Snow. Rock is the program where you download and install apps and Snow does the actual unlock

Yep you got it, than install Rock and Snow. Rock is the program where you download and install apps and Snow does the actual unlock

wtf is all this shit. I knew about ultrasn0w for unlocking, but Rock? what happened to Cydia? or Icy? lol

I've got my 3G jailbroken, running 3.1.2. dunno jack about the 3gs though, sorry.

thanks for the website. definatley gonna do it tonight and post my results!
after its unlocked, can i still use the app store?
i guess I cant update the FW unless theres a new version of blackrain?

Rock is like cydia but more user friendly. Cydia can still be used with blackrain although there is no option for installing Icy.

wtf is all this shit. I knew about ultrasn0w for unlocking, but Rock? what happened to Cydia? or Icy? lol

I've got my 3G jailbroken, running 3.1.2. dunno jack about the 3gs though, sorry.

just a word of caution... I'd stay away from rock app. It's been nothing but trouble for me in the past and lost a good deal of pictures and other data on my phone because of it.

Use Cydia :)

is there another unlock software that lets you turn the phone off and on? while keeping it unlocked always? in manhattan, all those little cell phone stores swear that their unlocks let you turn the 3Gs on and OFF.....

is there another unlock software that lets you turn the phone off and on? while keeping it unlocked always? in manhattan, all those little cell phone stores swear that their unlocks let you turn the 3Gs on and OFF.....

They're ripping you off.

Unless you're a lucky person who has a very early iPhone 3GS, no, there is not.

They're ripping you off.

Unless you're a lucky person who has a very early iPhone 3GS, no, there is not.

yup... your only real option is going with an older 3gs. however, I'm pretty sure that the new firmware verison that'll be out soon will strip that ability away.

so if anyone wants an early 3gs unlocked, you'll probably want to buy one before OS version 4.0 is released. Either that or you can probably buy an officially unlocked iphone from the UK, but they're probably pretty expensive.

As AVT and dr.stevil stated new iPhone 3GS's will have a problem upon restart without the aid of a PC. Your best bet is to look for an early release of the 3GS to avoid the restart problem(if you care at all). Look for a phone whos 4th & 5th digit of the seial number are less then 40 and it will be fine. My 2 digits are "26" so I can restart all day long no problems. :p

hmmm, i started emailing some sellers on ebay asking what unlock method they use..

i am confident in my fellow H'ers saying that u cant reboot once unlocked... but well see wat eBay says.

I wouldn't necessarily trust what some random person from ebay tells you. There are a lot of scammers out there (like the people that charge you to unlock your phone)

Check out www.modmyi.com... it has everything you've ever wanted to know about jailbreaking and unlocking from iphone/itouch, past present and future :) If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist.

update, 1 seller replied, basically whats been re-iterated here...

Hi, the unlock of the software has nothing to do with weather or
not you can turn the iPhone off. All iPhones are unlocked using
the same set of programs.

What determines wether or not the iPhone can be turned off and
back on again and keep its unlock is the version of iBoot that
the iPhone has. A little white ago Apple changed iBoot to disrupt
the unlocking process. This change was implemented on all
new iPhones manufactured from then on.

That being said there are still a very small number of brand new
iPhones without Apple's new version of iBoot. These iPhones are
capable of being turned off and back on again and will remain
unlocked.

If you are looking for one of these iPhones, you are in luck
because I just got one in stock today. I have a few other eBayers
inquiring about this iPhone as well, so if you are interested let
me know asap.

Thank you for your interest, feel free to ask any additional
questions you may have.

Best Regards,
Brandon

At least he was honest about it. Blacra1n is the easiest 1 click automated program to jailbreak and unlock the iphone. However, I would check the iphone's serial number to see what version you have. If you have an older boot rom, and if you are even luckier and have an older firmware (3.0), there is another option too. You can jailbreak with redsn0w, and then create a custom firmware for the phone. One of the reasons a custom firmware is better is because you can create a larger partition file for the OS, allowing more space for installs and apps.

It's nothing major, but still something to look at, just go into Settings/General/About, and like 00PS said, and look at the serial number.

ill just use blackrain, if i have to re-unlock for some reason.... i just go about the process as usual right? will it delete all my contacts and stuff?

just a heads up, the newest version of redsnow was released for windows and mac. I always preferred it over other jailbreak methods because you can create a custom firmware to upload to the phone.

Back