Best method to transport your desktop

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
I got a job offer and I would need to fly out there (Chicago to Texas)

I have a mid tower and was wondering what is the best way to transport that bad boy over there?

1)
I heard bad things about airport luggage and how they handle your suitcases. And is carry-on for a mid-tower even possible?

2)
Would shipping be my best option? Alas, I don't have the styrofoam protectors that came with my case...

3)
Anybody have any horror stories about transporting their desktops?

Personally, I think the best method for approach is to ship it but take out some key components like the graphics card and hard drives. You bring them with you as carry-on

Buy a roll of anti-static bubble-wrap and place in the spaces within the case.

then place in peanuts and double box.

but i would sell it and buy a new one.

I've carried a full-sized ATX computer in my luggage, and I've shipped a SFF mid-tower to someone, and I ended up having problems each time. But I seem to be in the minority, and my problems occurred due to sheer incompetence.

You have to decide whether or not you want the computer right away. You can bring most SFF desktop computers onto the plane as a carry-on, but you need to explain to TSA clearly that you're carrying a computer. (In my case, my computer was opened during a layover by a team who've obviously never seen a computer before. :mad: )

If it's a good enough position to fly to, you might consider at least spending $250 - 350 on a netbook or low-end laptop. It will make things a whole lot easier, especially if it doesn't pan out, and you need to do this again for a different company.

If you ship it, who's going to receive it? What if it's a day late, and you need it? What if it gets there on time, but won't operate because it got dropped? Insurance is nice for a replacement, but you'd still be there with no computer. It's too many variables for myself to worry about.......I would spend the $300.

It makes no sense to move a desktop unless you are moving permanently yourself.

Shipping a desktop is very risky. You must remove any heavy components and ship them separately (the last thing you need is a loose cooler inside the case flying around and banging into everything else).

Taking a desktop as a carry-on is very impractical if at all possible considering you may end up on a small plane.

Buying a cheap laptop may cost less than the cost of shipping the desktop properly.

I've done it twice. Backed up data to external disk, took that with me on the flight. Removed the heatsink, packed it separately. Reseated all the cards, reinstalled the heatsink.. booted and no problems.

Then again.. I kept the original case box, and then double boxed it. Cheap insurance and itemized receipts and photos.

It makes no sense to move a desktop unless you are moving permanently yourself. ...

If he got a job offer and is flying out there, I believe he plans on taking the offer and living there... thats just my guess, though. :p

Back