Best method of rolling up a single ethernet cable for storage?

aronesz

Limp Gawd
See title. Just looking to see if anyone knows of a method/strategy that I am unaware of that I may try to see if it serves better convenience and handling (like unwrapping/unrolling the cable for use)

How long? I've got a few 50 and 100 footers I used to use at LANs that I just coil up around the elbow and then give it a half twist like a figure 8 and fold it in half. Make it a nice neat package for a velcro strap.

I fold cables in half, then in half again, repeating until a manageable length is attained, then tie it in a knot. Obviously nothing is cinched down or hard bends on the cable. Neat and won't unravel, no need for extra cord wraps or what-not.
In the shop, anything under 12 feet goes into a bridle ring I've driven into the wall high up.

Just loop 'em...tuck ends in, or velcro, whatever.
No need to loose sleep over this one...as long as you're not kinking them in bends and pressing down, or rolling over them with the wheels of your chair...or stepping on them all day every days...really, it's fine just having them rolled up. There's no "special way" of storing them that gives one some advantage over another after a years of storage due to some mystical properties of placing them in some halo configuration.

I just store them in my box of cables, along with sata, power, molex and other cables. :D
I eventually want to find a better way of organizing this stuff though.

If you're right handed: hold the end of the cable like a fishing line, plug towards chest, cable coming out away from you. Do your first loop overhand, so the cable is a continuous spiral. Now the "tricky", but important, part: do the next cable "underhand" - take your right and and grab the cable on the top about a foot and a half from your left hand, bring your palms together, passing the length of cable under itself. By doing this, you will reverse the twisting inside the cable, eliminating the eventual loopiness that the cable would otherwise develop, protecting the wires from internal stress/breakage, and you won't get sound engineers yelling at you if they need your help in the future.

Back