Best method for transfering OS install to new hardware?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
So I have a server machine that's going to get a hardware swap in the near future. I have everything setup on it exactly how I want it (this install is only a few months old.. Windows 7pro 64). I'm wondering if it's possible to boot the OS once the new hardware is installed? I know that you can image OS installs for multiple machines (at least at the corp level), but the hardware isn't even close to being the same.

Every time I've tried using imaging tools I always seem to end up with BSOD's so my experience is really limited. I could just reinstall the OS I guess but like I said, I just finally got everything back to how I want it since it's a pretty fresh install already.

Honestly, since it is a fresh install I advise you just install on the new hardware. If you want to pursue moving the OS then look into sysprep. I doubt it will be worth the effort for a one-off migration though. You could end up spending more time than it would take just to install Windows again. There are also ways to manually prep Windows for a major hardware change, but it involves registry editing (and more) with a high risk of rendering the install useless.

Back