Best method for renaming and organizing files for XBMC

MightyGeekMan

Weaksauce
Hey All,
After completing my very first HTPC build (thread here) I am ready to install XBMC as my front-end. However, I'm a little stuck on how to properly rename and organize all my movie files that are currently stored on my NAS. I've been ripping my DVDs for years now (over 1,000) and currently use a naming convention that is not optimal for XBMC. I do NOT want to have to rename each file individually if I can avoid it so, after a web search, I've discovered two programs that claim to automagically rename and organize files for XBMC. So, my questions are as follows;
  1. Has anyone ever used TheRenamer or Ember Media Manager? If so, how well do they work?
  2. If you have a different method for properly renaming and organizing a substantial number of movie files (other than manual entry) what is it?

I use Media Center Master (running MediaBrowser as a front-end) and I'm 99% sure it has an option for XBMC file naming conventions. I'd check, but I'm not at home.

It's a pretty nifty program - as long as your files currently contain *some* form of a naming convention, it will auto rename the files, pull backdrops, coverart, and other metadata. If it doesn't know what it is, it will pop up a dialog box asking for the tt number from the IMDB url. Also will rename tv shows in conjunction with thetvdb.com.

I name all my movies the same as imdb.com such as

The Shawshank Redemption (1994).mp4

All movies get scraped perfectly.

I currently keep all my movie files in a single folder but I understand that XBMC prefers to have each movie in a separate folder within the main "Movies" container folder.

For example; my current organization is;
Movies/The Muppets (2012).avi

And XBMC prefers:
Movies/The Muppets (2012)/The Muppets (2012).avi

Do any of the three media mangers mentioned (TheRenamer, Ember Media Manager or Media Center Master) reorganize your folder structure in addition to renaming the files and scraping the web for meta, images, etc.? If so, which would you consider the "best"?

command line is the best way to do it

cd PATH/TO/YOUR/MOVIE/FOLDER

for /f %f in ('dir *.avi /b') do md %~nf & move %f .\%~nf

This will create a directory the same name as your file minus the extension and then move file to newly created directory

This will create a directory the same name as your file minus the extension and then move file to newly created directory

I should have been more clear. My current filing system isn't as clear-cut as I made it seem in the example below. My filename for the Muppet movie is actually "The Muppets" and doesn't include the year of release. I'm hoping a media manager will properly rename my files for XBMC and then put each file into its own folder, also named properly.

Do any of the three media mangers mentioned (TheRenamer, Ember Media Manager or Media Center Master) reorganize your folder structure in addition to renaming the files and scraping the web for meta, images, etc.? If so, which would you consider the "best"?

I can't speak for the other two, but MCM organizes them this way. I have it configured to take something like D:\Movies\The Muppets.m4v and reorganize it to:

D:\Movies\The Muppets (2012)\The Muppets (2012).m4v
D:\Movies\The Muppets (2012)\backdrop1.jpg
D:\Movies\The Muppets (2012)\backdrop2.jpg

TV shows will take E:\TV Shows\Castle S01E01.m4v and reorganize to

E:\TV Shows\Castle (2009)\Season 1\Castle S01E01.m4v
E:\TV Shows\Castle (2009)\Season 1\backdrop1.jpg
E:\TV Shows\Castle (2009)\Season 1\Metadata\Castle S01E01.xml
E:\TV Shows\Castle (2009)\Season 1\Metadata\xxxxxxx.jpg

The x's are some random number that's in the XML file so you I can see a thumb for each episode. I'm not sure if there's a way to get it to rename that specific jpg differently or not, I haven't bothered.

I use Media Center Master (running MediaBrowser as a front-end) and I'm 99% sure it has an option for XBMC file naming conventions.

+1

I also use MCM and Mediabrowser. It does have an option for creating XBMC specific meta files, so will work perfectly. MCM has come a long way, and I plan on purchasing a license for the extra features and to support the author. My media has never been so well organized. And it's all automatic.

MCM will autorename your stuff. Now since you have no year if it finds multiple movies with the same name (ie Oceans Eleven) it might not grab the correct metadata. You just need to have movies in their own subfolder for MCM to work its magic which my command will still create that for you. Afterwards you can go through the list and correct whichever ones you need to fix.

I just renamed over a 100 blu-rays just for XBMC.. There the movie name and year in the file name. I have all my movie in one folder called movies. XBMC seamed to like it better with them all in one folder. I had them all in there own folder for each movie for MyMovies. But I like XBMC alot better so I changed everything over this week. Really didn't take that much time. Did them all one at a time :) Went to the movedb.org site where XBMC pulls from so I knew each movie was named right and pulled right in XBMC.

I currently keep all my movie files in a single folder but I understand that XBMC prefers to have each movie in a separate folder within the main "Movies" container folder.

I don't believe this is the case. The only thing XBMC "cares" about is that you separate diffferent types of content: TV vs Movies, Music vs TV, etc.

As long as you name the file properly from the get go you'll be fine.

So I've downloaded and begun using MCM and for my movies it's awesome. However, I've run into a bit of a problem with TV DVDs that I can't seem to figure out and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. My kids have a bunch of DVDs of their favorite TV shows (Yo Gabba Gabba, Ni Hao Kai Lan, Dora, etc.). The problem is that the DVDs aren't of entire seasons and so they don't show up as either movies or TV shows when MCM tries to look them up.

Here's one example of Yo Gabba Gabba. The DVD itself can be found here but neither IMDB or thetvdb have this particular DVD collection in their lists. How do I input this DVD into my database so it shows up properly in XBMC?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I've downloaded and begun using MCM and for my movies it's awesome. However, I've run into a bit of a problem with TV DVDs that I can't seem to figure out and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. My kids have a bunch of DVDs of their favorite TV shows (Yo Gabba Gabba, Ni Hao Kai Lan, Dora, etc.). The problem is that the DVDs aren't of entire seasons and so they don't show up as either movies or TV shows when MCM tries to look them up.

Here's one example of Yo Gabba Gabba. The DVD itself can be found here but neither IMDB or thetvdb have this particular DVD collection in their lists. How do I input this DVD into my database so it shows up properly in XBMC?

You can make your own submission into whatever DB service you are using. Or you can enter it in manually. I would just add a submission into IMDB or whatever service you are using. They usually approve submissions within 24 hours.

+1 for MediaCenterMaster, I have nothing to say that isn't good about the program. Buy the Premium lifetime!

I use Media Center Master (running MediaBrowser as a front-end)

What do you mean by this? I use MCM, but I always just use it as a stand-alone metadata gatherer. I rip all of my movies to a drive, each in their own folder. I run MCM against the parent folder that holds my movies. Once they are done, I move them to the folders on the machine that has my movies.

Now, I do have MediaBrowser as a front-end for watching movies on my Win7 Media Center.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/

I love Media Companion, scrapes movies fully, allows for selection of fanart and scraper and creates all the neccessary files and renames aswell as directory structure. XBMC doesn't have to do anything afterwards, just plug and play.

The gf has been on me to sort out the movies we stream cause she can never find anything. I am going to try out a couple of these to see which works best for me. Thanks

cd PATH/TO/YOUR/MOVIE/FOLDER

for /f %f in ('dir *.avi /b') do md %~nf & move %f .\%~nf

That script doesn't work for file names with spaces. Try this instead (just got it working):

Code:
for /f "delims=?" %f in ('dir *.avi /b') do md "%~nf" & move "%f" .\"%~nf"

ps. Sorry for raising an old thread - just wanted to get better info for future searches from people.

Last edited:

I can sadly say I also own that DVD :D

I just manually edited the Metadata to make the individual episodes match the shows Season/Episode though. Same issue with another similar YGG disc.

That script doesn't work for file names with spaces. Try this instead (just got it working):

Code:
for /f "delims=?" %f in ('dir *.avi /b') do md "%~nf" & move "%f" .\"%~nf"

ps. Sorry for raising an old thread - just wanted to get better info for future searches from people.
I assume just change '.avi' to '.mkv' for those of us not in the stone age?

i use a program called Yamm to rename the movie/folder it gets all the cover art and stuff as well

Back