Best Melt Down of CES 2014

Did you guys ever consider that Michael's contract said that he doesn't get paid if he doesn't say exactly what Samsung tells him to say?

Once the teleprompter broke Michael knew that he wouldn't get paid and so he just walked off. Simple really.

Careful people, don't make fun of someone with a supposed mental condition.... someone will reprimand you and say you've lead a trite and meaningless life, and you're a very bad person.

EXCELLENT!

FINALLY someone taking notice of my hard work!

Did you guys ever consider that Michael's contract said that he doesn't get paid if he doesn't say exactly what Samsung tells him to say?

Once the teleprompter broke Michael knew that he wouldn't get paid and so he just walked off. Simple really.

No offense, but that's one of the dumbest things I've heard thus far this year.

Seriously, think it through for a second.

Someone pays you a bunch of money to say EXACTLY what's on their teleprompter.
Then their teleprompter breaks, leaving you unable to use their words.
So they're not going to pay you?

That's like a McDonalds paying cooks based on how many McChicken sandwiches cook and sell in a day. If nobody orders one, they worked that day for free?

No boss. In the Really Real World, you're paying someone for their TIME.

No boss. In the Really Real World, you're paying someone for their TIME.

I doubt that anyone paid Charlie Sheen to tell the #dragonblood #winning story.

Kind of tough to compare a minimum wage line cook with a guy who's word is picked up by mass media around the world and who inevitably influences consumer's purchasing decisions.

Samsung wouldn't pay him for his time if he said that those TVs are total crap and curved screens are pointless.

Paid endorsements are paid to stay on message. I am reasonably sure that they don't just pay for time.

However, it's probably also true that his contract said that he will get paid if there are technical difficulties. What really happened is that Michael was embarrassed that he didn't have a single positive thought of his own about the product, so he left.

The lesson learned here is to not sign up to endorse products you know nothing about and you don't believe in at all.

An explosive ending for Michael Bay.

On that bombshell... Good night everybody!

Pretty simple to figure out.

Gets a call to travel to Las Vegas all expenses paid by Samsung.
Just has to show up and say something about their TVs.
Doesn't know shit about the product, did no preparation, and fucked the dog.

They should have gotten Kim Kardashian, at least she would have prepared, or at least looked good.:eek:

As a professional that wasn't very professional. As a director he works in front/directs hundreds of people at a time so stage fright is a poor excuse.

As a professional that wasn't very professional. As a director he works in front/directs hundreds of people at a time so stage fright is a poor excuse.

Directing people and speaking in front of a crowd is very different. His main line of work, cameras and eyes are not on him... this time they were, and he couldn't handle it.

Its interesting that a guy who knows things don't always go as planned when you are in front of the camera would be willing to accept money to speak in front of a camera (or people) and unwilling to deal with things not going as planned.

Well thats what he gets for taking a paycheck to vouch for something he has no idea about. I cant imagine he was paid so much that this was even worth his time. The guy has got to be worth several hundred million dollars, why drag himself out of bed to shill for a TV? What did they offer him, a million bucks or something?

Anyway the guy is a director, he sits BEHIND the camera, not in front. It's totally understandable he might be shy or insecure in public situations that he's not in control of.

+1 this is my point... I completely understand an anxiety attack, it happens. My issue with MB is that he put himself in that position to shill for a TV.

I would be waaay more understanding if he was talking about movie direction at a film school or something.

I never thought that lack of script would be a problem for Michael Bay.

Oh snap! Ha ha, great response. All the same, I do kinda feel bad for the guy. He must have had no idea what he was going to go on stage and talk about. If anything he could have just bullshitted "well the teleprompter went out so I'm just going to talk about film" and the crowd probably would have enjoyed it.

I did enough communication classes in college to recognize what he's going through. Doesn't make him a loser either, as someone said. We all have fears and it'd be more appropriate to understand that and be receptive to it.

Err, he agreed to do a PR spot on stage.

The killer to me was that the co-presenter on stage was doing everything he could to coach MB through the presentation. When he saw him starting to cave, he was like, "What about the curve?" All MB had to do was follow his follow his lead. "Well, I'll be goddamned! A freaking curved TV! I gotta get me one of those!" I am sure the guy would have kept pitching if Bay would have stayed in the batter's box.
Wow.

"What I try to do as a director, is make shit! Unbelievable shit! Robots with swinging balls & gold teeth shit".

"Its amazing, people actually like and buy this shit I make".

:mad:

I did enough communication classes in college to recognize what he's going through. Doesn't make him a loser either, as someone said. We all have fears and it'd be more appropriate to understand that and be receptive to it.

Not buying it. He had a choice if he was going to do this or not. Clearly the dude's knees were knocking before he even walked on stage but he chose to do it. He fucked up, he owns it.

Yes I do, quite well. It's not the same as speaking to a large audience and being recorded.

What the hell does being recorded have anything to do with it? You do realize on big feature films they normally have camera's recording back stage actions as well? If you don't see the similarities in talking to large groups of people and directing large groups of people I guess were at an impasse here...

lets forget he's Michael Bay, and its a Samsung demo.. I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people in this thread, put on a stage, in front of a couple hundred people, and with cameras wouldn't have some sort of an issue if the script, or some part of the logistics of the show didn't go as planned.

Michael Bay is one of the greatest directors of all time. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Careful use of a beta blocker might have helped him if he suffers from some kind of anxiety disorder. But that sword can cut both ways.

lets forget he's Michael Bay, and its a Samsung demo.. I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people in this thread, put on a stage, in front of a couple hundred people, and with cameras wouldn't have some sort of an issue if the script, or some part of the logistics of the show didn't go as planned.

If you freak out during public speaking, why would you take a paid job to speak in public?

In my mind, its not as good as the presentation meltdown in Last of the Samurai.

To people criticising him for not managing to muddle out some winging words, jesus christ listed to the question

'The curve - how do you think its going to impact the viewer experience of your movies'

.... Go on, imagine your a successful hollywood director and wing that question. Zero impact, nothing to say.

It disturbs me how deluded to the marketing machine everybody is that people can criticise somebody for not chatting **** about some worthless tech.

Again: why take a marketing shill job if you can't shill? No preparation, no notes, no idea what the product being sold is? Unprofessional. If someone is paying you a boatload of money to talk up their products, come prepared.

If you freak out during public speaking, why would you take a paid job to speak in public?

I don't think anyone expects to meltdown in a situation like that. Its easy to say, yea, no problem, I can do that I got it.. Sounds easy, and I'm really excited about what I'm talking about. This will be a no brainer! But when put into that situation with the lights beating down on you and blank looks on peoples faces? What is only a few seconds feels like minutes. Trust me, I'm not defending him, his movies, the presentation or the fact that the last 3 transformers movies were pretty much 2 hour long GM commercials. But its easy for anyone to react like that under those circumstances.

What the hell does being recorded have anything to do with it? You do realize on big feature films they normally have camera's recording back stage actions as well? If you don't see the similarities in talking to large groups of people and directing large groups of people I guess were at an impasse here...
it really is totally different to be up on stage and be the center of attention. but even so directors don't really direct "large groups" of people at least at any of the times I've watched filmings.

it *might* be analogous to actors on stage but even that is still much different than giving presentations. I have to get in front of hundreds of people every day and I occasionally mess up about really simple things and I've seen others just flat out misspell common words up on the board in front of their classes.

Again: why take a marketing shill job if you can't shill? No preparation, no notes, no idea what the product being sold is? Unprofessional. If someone is paying you a boatload of money to talk up their products, come prepared.

That's a lot of speculation that he was unprepared. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. None of us will know. Just because he walked off the stage saying he can't do this doesn't mean he was unprepared.

When I think meltdown, I'm thinking he threw a chair, punched a baby, mooned the crowed, flipped off the camera while pissing on the stage and walking backwards off the stage. That also boarders unprofessional.

That's a lot of speculation that he was unprepared. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. None of us will know. Just because he walked off the stage saying he can't do this doesn't mean he was unprepared.

When I think meltdown, I'm thinking he threw a chair, punched a baby, mooned the crowed, flipped off the camera while pissing on the stage and walking backwards off the stage. That also boarders unprofessional.

Okay? Look, the going rate for plugging a product at a show like CES for a company like Samsung is more than I make in a year. You can toss around excuses all day, but in the end, he screwed up and he looked like a completely unprofessional person. He is lucky he doesn't need the money. Someone doing this for their main paycheck would be out a job.

Someone who has been doing that for their main paycheck wouldn't react like that because they've done it hundreds of times. From smaller crowds all the way up to large concert halls. They've run the ropes for years when they have gotten to that level. They know how to handle when things go a sideways. Just because its MB, doesn't mean in that situation he would have reacted any different then most of us.

I think some of you guys are putting MB on some sort of pedestal and now crushed that he's not living up to your expectations.

You seem to mistake me for defending him. I'm not. My point was, that 98% of the people in this thread railing on him, would have almost certainty reacted the same exact way in that situation as he did when a technical issue arose.

Until someone posts a video of someone punching a baby at CES, I stand by my statistics as facts. :)

I read about it earlier but hadn't seen the video, just the transcript. Wow, that is one of the worst live speaking performances since that Miss USA chick who screwed up the Iraq question. :D

They should have blown the TV up right then in super slo-mo and then panned in for a long lingering look at Samsung's CEO's ass...fade to black with Shia LaBeouf screaming in the background "OPTIMUS!" and the crowd would have went fucking wild.

(works for his movies)
Ah hah! Steve rocks. :cool: Way cooler than that Michael Bay clown.

I wish he would of walked off the stage and fell flat on his face. He ruined Transformers and he's going to ruin TMNT (more than it already has been). I don't care about anything he does and glad he made an ass of himself.
He is doing TMNT? Now I'm sad. :(

There will probably end up being 6 turtles, they will end up being aliens with lightsabers and Shredder will look like Devastator. Why? ...because more is better, aliens are awesome, lightsabers = $$$ and Michael Bay likes pissing on my childhood.

Back