Best Mechanical Keyboard, Money No Object?

Hands down, the IBM Model F.

There's currently a group buy for a single new manufacturing run of this classic, but it ain't cheap (or pretty)
Model F best switches but worst layouts, I like the M style keyboards layout which is virtually what any modern day keyboard uses now. He has brand new, original M version from 1989 for $399 new in box. Very tempting but also expensive as well.

Model F best switches but worst layouts, I like the M style keyboards layout which is virtually what any modern day keyboard uses now. He has brand new, original M version from 1989 for $399 new in box. Very tempting but also expensive as well.

Yeah, damn, even though I know it is happening, it is weird to see these go up so much in price. You used to get them in like-new condition on eBay for $20 10 years ago, because no one wanted them, but now that everyone seems to have discovered them, they have skyrocketed in price.

I have one of the rare M13 Trackpoint II boards in my basement in a box. It used to be my daily driver, but I typed so much I wore the white pad printed letters off the keys and it looked terrible. When I contacted Unicomp for a replacement set of keycaps, I was informed I was buying the last set they had. Since they are pad printed, they don't last forever, so since I was essentially typing on a collectors item, I cleaned it up, put the new keys in and put it away in storage. I don't want to wear out one of the last ones in existence :p

5091177536_61b3c181bd_o.jpg

Now I use Unicomps. They have USB and Windows keys. The build quality isn't QUITE as pleasing, but they are still great keyboards, and are "only" $84 new with a choice between the classic shape and a spacesaver design.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/

If you pay $400 for a new old stock keyboard from 1989 with no n-key roll over you're out of your fucking mind. If you pay half that you're an idiot. At a quarter? A collector.

If you pay $400 for a new old stock keyboard from 1989 with no n-key roll over you're out of your fucking mind. If you pay half that you're an idiot. At a quarter? A collector.

While I would like NKRO in my keyboard just in case, in my 25+ years of doing this, I have never once been playing a game, and had the lack of NKRO have nay effect what so ever on the gameplay.

I do use an unusual keyboard layout (these days) though, which might help explain why many others find NKRO a must, but it has never bothered me.

I forget where I originally got it. It stemmed from the default controls in one of the original FPS games. DOOM maybe?

Forward: Up arrow
Backward: Downarrow
Strafe Left: Leftarrow
Strafe Right: Rightarrow
Fire: Mouse 1
Jump: Mouse 2

Of course I do this with an inverted Y axis on my mouse just for good measure.

For modern games with many more keyboard mount needs I use all the keys around the arrow keys for various things. Usual RCTRL is duck, RSHIFT is run/sneak, Enter is use, End is drop, Delete is reload and whatever else I need.

After getting used to this layout, I simply saw no reason to even give WASD layouts a try. I tjust feels wrong to me, especially with the W offset to the left.

Either way, with this keyboard layout, I have never had something not register due to lack of NKRO.

I never said there was a "best' option. It is a personal preference. For example, few people like the Cherry MX Blues as much as I do. They'll state that they are bad for gaming. I tune the sound out while gaming but really miss it for typing. I hear you on the IBM model M. Chasing that typing experience is largely why I'm so partial to Cherry MX Blues. I couldn't care less about Windows keys, but NKRO, lack of backlighting and the hideous beige color are why I don't just go with an IBM Model M.

Right now I'm typing on the Glorious Gaming Race keyboard with its Gateron Browns. They are like softer Cherry MX Browns but they don't feel bad for Browns. I ordered some Gateron Blues to try them. I'm not sure how I'll feel about them. As for the key caps, they feel alright but are nothing special. The board itself is really nice. There is no RGB version as of yet but it's coming. I like the minimalist design and the fact that I can switch out the switches to anything I want from Kalih, Cherry or Gateron. While Gaterons are a knock off of the Cherry MX switches, many people actually like the way they feel over the Cherry MX's. I can say that while Browns aren't my favorite switch, I do like the Gateron version over the Cherry. Despite not being RGB capable, I'm ok with the red backlighting. This could be my keyboard for the foreseeable future. I like it a lot so far. I will probably have to get some PBT key caps for it.

Yeah, damn, even though I know it is happening, it is weird to see these go up so much in price. You used to get them in like-new condition on eBay for $20 10 years ago, because no one wanted them, but now that everyone seems to have discovered them, they have skyrocketed in price.

I have one of the rare M13 Trackpoint II boards in my basement in a box. It used to be my daily driver, but I typed so much I wore the white pad printed letters off the keys and it looked terrible. When I contacted Unicomp for a replacement set of keycaps, I was informed I was buying the last set they had. Since they are pad printed, they don't last forever, so since I was essentially typing on a collectors item, I cleaned it up, put the new keys in and put it away in storage. I don't want to wear out one of the last ones in existence :p

5091177536_61b3c181bd_o.jpg

Now I use Unicomps. They have USB and Windows keys. The build quality isn't QUITE as pleasing, but they are still great keyboards, and are "only" $84 new with a choice between the classic shape and a spacesaver design.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/
Now that is an Awesome keyboard! - give you $150 for her or him ;)

Back