Best mATX MB?

Sky15

2[H]4U
I was gonna go mITX, but I think I'm gonna go mATX since I can add another card, and I found a perfect case that is small and light enough that I really like (Lian Li PC-V359)

So what is the best on the market right now?

Gigabyte or Asus Gene.
Gigabyte what?

I am looking at mini-itx boards but I was curious about mATX as well. But, I noticed that mATX don't have built-in wifi. Do they have a slot to put in a wifi card? Will it be worse or better than integrated ones in mITX boards?

Gigabyte what?

I am looking at mini-itx boards but I was curious about mATX as well. But, I noticed that mATX don't have built-in wifi. Do they have a slot to put in a wifi card? Will it be worse or better than integrated ones in mITX boards?

Sorry...GB Gaming 5.

Don't worry about Wi-Fi...I usually recommend just getting a USB Wi-Fi adapter on the cheap and calling it a day.

Lol, either or :D

I was waffling between this and the Gigabyte Gaming 5. The Gigabyte is around 80 cheaper too.

The Gigabyte Gaming 5 isn't a bad board by any means, it would probably best suit your needs over the Asus by a long shot.

I tends to go overboard on my PC hardware choices, and the Gaming 5 only offered a 4 phase controller (plenty for everyone, and light overclocking) while the Asus offered a 8 phase system among other added features/hardware. They are both digitally controlled, so they are very modern, and both offer 3 year warranties so you'll be covered.

Asus has a touchy reputation with support, but they make solid products and the Gene is very high end. I haven't heard much negativity about Gigabyte, and my z77 board has been working nicely for a while now.

I say save some $, but I do enjoy using Asus boards and feel they are worth the premium and the risk others may warn you about.

Gigabyte what?

If the motherboard as a mini pci slot like the Maximus Gene VII you can add in a wifi card like one from a laptop. Not sure about better or worse part, depends on the type of wifi device.

Sorry, what's the difference between a 8 and 4 phase?

I do plan to SLI 780s or 780tis

Sorry, what's the difference between a 8 and 4 phase?

I do plan to SLI 780s or 780tis

It's basically the supply of power to the CPU. You only need more then 4 phases if you want to try some considerable CPU overclocks with lots of voltage. If you plan on running stock I'd say you're fine with 4 phases. Here's a thread to check out all the z97 VRM's, and it also shows more links with further info if your curious regarding phases, caps, and the hardware side of these boards.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490142/z97-vrm-info/0_20

I probably don't need 8 phases but out of the choices I had I picked the Gene VII.

Neither will have an effect on SLI. There is one other board I forgot though, the Asus Gryphon z97. 5 years of warranty, and it's almost like the Gene hardware wise just styled very differently.

Thanks, I do plan to OC my CPU, but I don't think it will be to extreme, but a good bump in hz.

How about the Gryphon Z97.

Server grade componants..

I have 2 of the Z87s, super stable.

maximus gene is a great mATX
Mini-itx version, too, probably? :). If price is no object, I would get the mini-ITX gene. It has all the hardware specs I want. Problem is, it's over $200! :(

So, which mATX or mini-ITX mobo is at least 6 or 8 phase, has Intel NIC and has WiFi? Or a slot for a WiFi card? I'm skeptical about using a usb WiFi device since it's a crapshoot. Realtek or atheros? Which antennas? How good will the signal be?

If I am looking for a $100 -ish board, does it exist? :)

My plan was to use a G3258 cpu and upgrade to an i5 later..

Back