Best lowprofile PCIe 2.0 X16 video card

kderedwolf

n00b
I have been looking around for a good low profile video card and I can't find anything. I don't care about the price I just need it to support Direct x 10 and have atleast 512MB memory.
I found some old post in the forum but I am sure that newer cards have been released.

8800GT is single slot, if you want low profile. All of the 8800GT's are single slot.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279319

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...48+1068509619&Description=8800gt&name=256-bit

(ignore the 8800GTS in there)

There is also a version of the 3870 that was single slot. I think there are two different companies making them, Sapphire and one other.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102719

8800GT is faster and single slot but costs $20 more.

By low-profile he means a short card that can fit in a low profile case, like one of these. (Not suggesting that card by any means)

Low profile not single slot. 3450 seems to be the only one so far. Im in the market as well and hoping the 3470, 3650, 3670, or 9600GT will come out with one. Im going to have it hooked up to a 2560x1600 display for a few months (between gaming builds) and need more then the 3450 can supply. The best non PCI-E 2.0 low profile cards that Ive came across are the Galaxy and POV 8600GTs. Anyone know of any others?

lol low profile means from the profile (the side) it's narrow or out of sight. That doesn't say anything about the length.

lol low profile means from the profile (the side) it's narrow or out of sight. That doesn't say anything about the length.

Sure, that's one way to look at it, but the industry uses the term to refer to expansion cards that fit in a case that has "low-profile" or short expansion slots. Such as this one. If you look at the specifications, you'll see it next to expansion slots category.

Typically when looking at cards, it is abbreviated 'L-P', or "includes L-P bracket".

You're right about it having nothing to do with the length. The card must be short from top to bottom, or half-height as said above. But it doesn't need to be short from end to end.

Low profile not single slot. 3450 seems to be the only one so far. Im in the market as well and hoping the 3470, 3650, 3670, or 9600GT will come out with one. Im going to have it hooked up to a 2560x1600 display for a few months (between gaming builds) and need more then the 3450 can supply. The best non PCI-E 2.0 low profile cards that Ive came across are the Galaxy and POV 8600GTs. Anyone know of any others?

Yeah, low profile is like the card that I am using in my sig. It is a half-height card. The term has nothing to do with the width. I've seen low profile cards use two expantion slots.

To the OP: The best low profile card on PCI-E that I have ever seen is this one.

You probably won't find a PCI-E 2.0 low profile card (not yet at least). As for one with 512MB, look for an 8500/8400/7300 card (that is low profile, that is). You're not going to get decent performance (or any performance for that matter) running these cards in DX10, even at a low resolution. Maybe the 8600GT I mentioned could do it, but it would be struggling and gasping with DX10.

IMO, the technology is just too new and a good performance low profile card with DX10 capabilities and 512MB just isn't here yet. Maybe within the next year or so.

After searching around most people suggested the Galaxy GeForce 8600GT I order one today will see how it works. Thanks guys for the info.

Aren't there 90 degree brackets available that allow you to use a normal sized video card? Or does that introduce a whole bunch of other problems?

Back