Best low profile cooler? < 150mm

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning for a Lian Li PC-V650 case with a good cpu cooler. The case is very small, it is basically an ATX version of the Lian Li PC-v354. I know that Noctua NH-U9B SE2 fits into the PC-V650. But I want a better cooler. I suspect these Noctua coolers fits because they are low profile
NH-C12P SE14 (114mm)
NH-C14 (130mm)
NH-L12 (93mm)

of these, the NH-L12 seems to be the newest, and therefore should have the best performance. I think the NH-L12 coolers fits in the PC-V650 case. But I want to know if I have missed other good cpu coolers? Do you know of any low profile coolers? Max would be something around ~140mm.

Ever thought about getting a closed loop cooler? I had an H80 on my mitx system but decided to replace it with a NH-L12 because it has since turned into a file server and I needed reliability (and so I can leave it and forget it.) But if that's not a concern for you then it'll be a great choice performance wise.

On the H80 I got sub 50s into full load vs 70s with a L12 with only the single 90mm fan. You should also consider the TDP of the processor you're using. I would definitely not use the L12 or any other low profile coolers with an i5 or i7.

Hey Brutalizer, according to this you got max of 120mm tall coolers (but pictures lead me to think you could fit tower coolers in there):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112385

How about the CoolerMaster GeminII S524 as it performs well and can use 140mm fans for some extra cooling. I believe the height is 105mm.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2662&page=4

It is about a degree behind the NH-L12 (dual fan) high, but half the price. Not sure if installing a 140mm fan would narrow that gap or give it the lead. Every test is stock config.

Seeing that you have 140mm fan slots in your case and building on Agenesis' idea, what about the new 140mm AIO cooling solutions? Also, if you could fit them... tower coolers would provide much more cooling and savings.

I would rather avoid water coolers. I feel uncomfortable with them. Thanx guys, I will check all your suggestions out. Please keep em coming! :)

PS. The price is not that important, I want a good low profile cpu cooler, that is not water. I will also use a 84 watt TDP cpu (an Intel Xeon e3-1245)

Hey Brutalizer, according to this you got max of 120mm tall coolers (but pictures lead me to think you could fit tower coolers in there):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112385

How about the CoolerMaster GeminII S524 as it performs well and can use 140mm fans for some extra cooling. I believe the height is 105mm.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2662&page=4

It is about a degree behind the NH-L12 (dual fan) high, but half the price. Not sure if installing a 140mm fan would narrow that gap or give it the lead. Every test is stock config.

Seeing that you have 140mm fan slots in your case and building on Agenesis' idea, what about the new 140mm AIO cooling solutions? Also, if you could fit them... tower coolers would provide much more cooling and savings.

I had a GeminII is my MATX case. Worked really well, and it was a relatively easy to install. Plus I believe it was rather inexpensive

I'll second the Silverstone NT-06 Pro based on the graphs i've seen. I'd buy it and add an extra fan. The Noctua CH12 is a great cooler too but i just can't get past the damn ugly colors. It amazes me how the company still refuses to produce fans in any other colors besides i-take-healthy-shit's and diarrhea brown.

A question, I have seen some graphs that show Silverstone NT-06 pro to be inferior to Noctua CH12 cooler. And other graphs shows the opposite. So, which one is the best? Which graphs should I trust? Which review site is most credible?

A question, I have seen some graphs that show Silverstone NT-06 pro to be inferior to Noctua CH12 cooler. And other graphs shows the opposite. So, which one is the best? Which graphs should I trust? Which review site is most credible?

as always with all the coolers in market, some will show a product winner over others, the thing its the test procedure should be taken into consideration, for example i do not like those sites that compare products with diferent ambient temps just talking about delta temps, but its not the same test a cooler at 27C room temp with other tested at 22C room temp and say that the best cooler its the tested at 22C due to lower Delta temps.. even being better for sure the cooler tested at 27C.. you have to trust in those sites that test coolers in the same conditions and controlled room temps. thats why people love [H] Reviews. personally I like much more the NT-06 PRO. i consider it better and more capable vs the Noctua due to you can use Push\Pull with the NT-06 PRO. and have better design with better RAM clearance (crucial for small Mobos)

What is push\pull?

Ok, several people have recommended the Silverstone NT-06 PRO. I would really like to know if it cools better than Noctua or not, as different reviews says different things. But the [H] review is credible? I can trust it?

Any other recommendations?

I love my Swiftech MCX-VCore, they are not very common and look good. They do a good job cooling and are not that large. I use it in my son's htpc rig and haven't had any issues for years.

What is push\pull?

Ok, several people have recommended the Silverstone NT-06 PRO. I would really like to know if it cools better than Noctua or not, as different reviews says different things. But the [H] review is credible? I can trust it?

Any other recommendations?

[H]ardOCP its for years one of the best reliable and most trusted review sites on the internet.. so yes you can trust in [H]ard.. and yes it can and will cool better than the noctua, push/pull its the use of 2 fans pointing in the same direction, in the NT06-PRO you can use 2 fans, one below the heatsink and one above, that will increase the cooling performance nicely.. so yes i recommend it over the Noctua.

+1 on the NT06-Pro and there's currently a $5 mail-in-rebate on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, it seems that you people think the NT06-PRO is better than the Noctua. Thanks for your advices guys. I will buy the Silverstone. :)

Ok, it seems that you people think the NT06-PRO is better than the Noctua. Thanks for your advices guys. I will buy the Silverstone. :)

Nice choise you will enjoy it a lot and will receive a good cooling product. tell us how you went.

The Silverstone NT06-PRO seems a bit noisy which is a deal breaker for me:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013..._nt06pro_cpu_air_cooler_review/3#.UmbGOG6xXnM

Can I fix it so it will be silent, and how to do that? Any links on that? Otherwise, I have to go with the Noctua.

That cooler its near silent trust me I have one.. It offer silent operation even more than my other Hyper212+. 41db are just 3db over the ambient temp of the reviewer room. Thats unaudible really.. Do not worry about that, the fan its PWM so you can manage how you want.. And even use in passive mode and it will run like a champ..

So it is that silent? Maybe you are not picky with noise? I am picky. Can someone else chime in how the noise level is on this NT06-PRO cooler?

yes is silent and trust me iam a little obsessive with a Silent case, I like that when im gaming at nights nobody hear my machines.. so yes im picky with the noise.. thats why I recommend it as good performer and silent. and its silent as my other Hyper212. you never hear it when its ON.

Back