Best location for a 4 drive array?

Daynja

Weaksauce
I currently have a promise SX4000 with 4 drives in raid 5. I also have another drive for the OS. Even though my case has room for 8 internal 3.5" drives, I still don't think there is good enough airflow, especially with all the IDE cables (6). My computer started crashing while playing video games so I figured it was the heat. This made me desire an external enclosure for a new 4 drive RAID setup. I now believe that the video card is just bad and the heat is at acceptable levels.

So my question is, where is the best place to put the drives for a 4 drive RAID array?

1. In the regular internal 3.5" bays. Most cases do not allow for proper airflow from the front for this option to be optimal. My current case has two 80mm fans in the front, but they are only blowing air on 3 of the drives. The amount of air that can get by them is also minimal. I would also prefer for the video card to have as much fresh air as possible, and without a side fan, this generally isn't possible.

2. In the external 5.25" bays. There are several enclosures made for going into multiple 5.25" bays. Such as these: http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/ae4rcs35nsa.asp The cooling on those doesn't seem to be very good, but at least it is keeping the heat away from everything else. This seems to offer better cooling, but 4 drives would take up 4 slots: http://www.addonics.com/products/combo_hdd/aechdsa35.asp Also, I'm sure there are things that can hold 4 drives in a 3 or 4 5.25" external bays that have good cooling, but I just can't find them. I don't need hot swap, just something with good airflow.

3. External enclosure. I was really tempted to do this, but I thought I may be over reacting to the heat issue. I'm sure many will suggest that with 4 drives I don't need something external. Any opinions? This external enclosures aren't cheap. They seem to go for around $400 for 4 bays.

4. Separate computer. I was also one day planning on building a separate file server that would operate over gigabit ethernet. While gigabit is fast, it's not as fast as if it was directly connected, so I kind of decided against this route.

I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of case I need. There are just way too many so I was wondering if anyone could suggest something. Also any external or internal enclosure suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Supermicro 5-in-3 enclosure that I'm very happy with. Here's a link. They have a 92mm fan on the back and room for 5 drives, which stay well cooled. They are rather loud (mostly due to the fast fan) but if you can live with that they're a good way to go.

he has IDE drives. SATA enclosures are not going to be of much help.

I'm going to go with something completely new this time, so sata is ok. I was just explaining my current heat situation with all the IDE cables.

Edit: I'm still somewhat concerned by the cooling of the products mentioned. The first two suggestions appear to be the same thing, and the fan doesn't seem like it does much on that one.

I'm going to go with something completely new this time, so sata is ok. I was just explaining my current heat situation with all the IDE cables.

Edit: I'm still somewhat concerned by the cooling of the products mentioned. The first two suggestions appear to be the same thing, and the fan doesn't seem like it does much on that one.

The Supermicro enclosure that U_M mentioned is pretty good at keeping the HDDs cool, though a tad loud.

I have 4 drives in that enclosure (and have had 5 in there for extended periods before), and they're all cool to the touch. The drives are mounted with the side of the drive (the hottest parts) right against aluminum rails that function as heatsinks. They're happy :D

Getting rid of the RAID cuts your heat production to 25%.

I have my 5 non-raid SATA hard drives mounted in the 4 low positions and have a 120mm fan blowing air into the case past them.

The hot drive is in the 40s. The rest are in the 30s.

Would you mind elaborating how you came up with that figure?

He was just rounding. Using RAID will cause your drives to be 24.673% hotter than using your drives without RAID.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

<sarcasm>, just in case you didn't notice...

I'm constantly evaluating this situation, so I'm now thinking that my main problem is with the case and it can be solved by proper case cooling. My current case has no front air vent, so I opened the front a little and the hard drives seem to be much cooler. Also, I think what I really need to solve a lot of heat issues is to have a side vent with a fan near the video card. I currently have a side vent with a fan blowing on the processor. It really doesn't need it though. So what I'm saying is I think with only 5 drives I can use just a standard case, but with plenty of openings for fans. Not much selection of cases that have a side fan for video cards though. Video cards seem to get the hottest because their cooling usually sucks.

I'm sorry - 1/4 = 25%.

I would explain but ...

and dog!=cat.

I was just poking fun at the fact you said getting rid of the RAID cuts heat 25% where you meant to say that getting rid of a drive would cut the heat. But no bother. This is just silly wordplay.

I'm sorry - 1/4 = 25%.

I would explain but ...

So you are saying that 1 active and 3 idle drives consume 1/4 of the power of 4 active drives? I think SR disagrees.

Also, the power dissipation greatly depends on the usage pattern and uptime pattern. If the computer runs 24/7, but is access "infrequently" the active power dissipation is going to be dominated by the idle time consumption, therefore requiring less power during active cycles is going to have almost no impact on the overall consumption. Aside from that, how does "not raid" guarantee that only one drive will ever be accessed at one time?

Back