Best LCD TV to use as a computer monitor?

brikis98

n00b
Please recommend me an LCD TV to use as a computer monitor.

Uses:

1. General internet browsing & word processing
2. Gaming
3. Watching movies
4. Occasional programming
5. Occasional graphics work

Requirements:

1. Over 32" - 37"
2. 1080P
3. Terrific colors & black levels
4. Assume for now price isn't an issue

Miscellanous

1. I'd be upgrading from a Sony FW900, a 24" CRT I'm running at 1920x1200. I'll be comparing whatever LCD side by side with the FW900 so the colors & black levels better be damn good :)
2. Is it possible to use a DVI to HDMI converter or would the LCD TV need a DVI input?

Is this a Joke post?

Requirements:

1. Over 30"
2. 1080P
3. Terrific colors & black levels
4. ~$1200 (or less!)

that tv does not exist.

if you are cool with 720p, then you can get a TV that fits those requirements in an LCD at 32 inches for $800 - $1300 (the very best 32 inchers can be had in that price range, actually). if you research a lot, you can get some really solid 37 and 42 inchers at that price in 720p.

Plasma is also worth looking at, you could probably swing a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma at that price as well (720p) Panasonic Plasma is highly regarded, and it seems like they don't make a bad model. they are all atleast great it seems and just get better from there.

but good 1080p is just not that cheap yet.

and really, you need to set your heart on a specific size before sprecific help can be given. because each size has very different options (that don't suck).

Chameleon, your response is the joke. Such an LCD TV is available with those specs: The Sharp 32GP1U. It's a 32", 1080p, that runs about $1100 and offers an excellent picture. Do a search for "32GP1U" on this forum. I know there's a specific thread here dedicated to the Sharp. The Westinghouse 37" 1080p also can be had for less than $1200. A 720p TV would be great for gaming and movies, but not so hot for text-oriented applications.

I would STILL say that TV dont exist, since #3 (amazing black levels and color... well at least black level) you'll never get an LCD to match the black levels of your FW900... at least not now.

Your best bet would be a 37" 1080P Westinghouse... like $800 right now.

Or you could spend $1100 for the 32" Sharp 1080p (why put that much into 32" I have no idea)

For your price range those are the best options imo... almost the only ones.

terrific colors and black levels are not gonna be had at $1200 with 1080p. you just can't get into the really nice panels at that price range.

Ok, I tweaked my requirements. The TV should be 32" - 37", as I couldn't sit back far enough if the set was any bigger. And I removed the price as a consideration for now.

Is this still too much to ask?

I would STILL say that TV dont exist, since #3 (amazing black levels and color... well at least black level) you'll never get an LCD to match the black levels of your FW900... at least not now.

Your best bet would be a 37" 1080P Westinghouse... like $800 right now.

Or you could spend $1100 for the 32" Sharp 1080p (why put that much into 32" I have no idea)

For your price range those are the best options imo... almost the only ones.

I've heard too many complaints about the dynamic contrast of the 32" sharp when used as a monitor, so I'm not sure I'd want to go that route.

As for the westinghouse, I've heard lots of good things, but how much worse are the colors & blacks than the fw900?

Hi. I think I can shed a little light on this topic. :)

I currently own a Westinghouse LVM-37W3. I use it as my computer monitor / TV. My previous computer monitor was a 21" Sony Trinitron, very similar to the FW900 in color and black levels.

I will go ahead and tell you now that the black levels on the Westy are not going to be as good as a top notch CRT like the FW900. You can adjust settings like the backlight and brightness to make the black levels pretty good, but they are never going to rival the FW900. This isn't a deal breaker for me. The first week I owned it, it bothered me a little. After adjusting it a little and getting used to it, I have never really noticed it again. The colors though are great. No complaints there. Very comparable color quality to my CRT monitor.

Now, for the good stuff. Having owned my Westy for about a year now, I would never go back to my old Trinitron. The image quality for movies, games, and computer use are phenomenal. Watching HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray movies are incredible. But, playing games is where this thing really shines. I own an XBox 360 and a pretty strong gaming computer, and games like Gears of War, Halo 3, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis make this TV worth the price of admission for me. It is hard to argue with 37 inches of screen real estate sitting 3 feet in front of you running at 1920 X 1080. :)

Now, I am not saying put the Westy ahead of all the other 1080p LCDs out there. I am only using it as an example of a nice one. And I am saying, don't be afraid of a loss of black level/picture quality when making the move from CRT to LCD. Go to your local BestBuy and take a good look at the LCD HDTVs they have there. You should be able to get a good idea of what sort of quality you can expect.

Take care and good luck. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101108

Sharp LC32D62U 32" on sale at newegg

89-101-108-05.jpg

Hi. I think I can shed a little light on this topic. :)

I currently own a Westinghouse LVM-37W3. I use it as my computer monitor / TV. My previous computer monitor was a 21" Sony Trinitron, very similar to the FW900 in color and black levels.

I will go ahead and tell you now that the black levels on the Westy are not going to be as good as a top notch CRT like the FW900. You can adjust settings like the backlight and brightness to make the black levels pretty good, but they are never going to rival the FW900. This isn't a deal breaker for me. The first week I owned it, it bothered me a little. After adjusting it a little and getting used to it, I have never really noticed it again. The colors though are great. No complaints there. Very comparable color quality to my CRT monitor.

Now, for the good stuff. Having owned my Westy for about a year now, I would never go back to my old Trinitron. The image quality for movies, games, and computer use are phenomenal. Watching HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray movies are incredible. But, playing games is where this thing really shines. I own an XBox 360 and a pretty strong gaming computer, and games like Gears of War, Halo 3, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis make this TV worth the price of admission for me. It is hard to argue with 37 inches of screen real estate sitting 3 feet in front of you running at 1920 X 1080. :)

Now, I am not saying put the Westy ahead of all the other 1080p LCDs out there. I am only using it as an example of a nice one. And I am saying, don't be afraid of a loss of black level/picture quality when making the move from CRT to LCD. Go to your local BestBuy and take a good look at the LCD HDTVs they have there. You should be able to get a good idea of what sort of quality you can expect.

Take care and good luck. :)

thx for the detailed reply!

i wonder if they'll let me bring a laptop to bestbuy and hook it up to a westy...

Sharp LC32D62U 32" on sale at newegg

Don't get the 62U. It was discontinued due to severe banding issues. The 64U is the one you want. Sharp claims to offer 2000:1 standard contrast ratio and 10,000:1 dynamic ratio. I'm sure they are lying their asses off, but I am interested anyway.

And I am saying, don't be afraid of a loss of black level/picture quality when making the move from CRT to LCD

Be afraid. Be very afraid if you play in a dim environment. Lock yourself in a closet if you ever consider playing Resident Evil with the lights out. Zombies will be the least of your problems.

people have brought their laptops/consoles to CC and BB before, just show it to the guy at the door before bringing it in and you should be okay.

The 4066f I picked up black friday would have worked for you (1150 - 300 deal for 850 or just under 900 OTD) except 2 things

1) its 40" (though realistically closer to 39.5")
2) its glossy (see the thread w/ pissing match between matte is god vs glossy is great people

Back