Best Laptop

JulesBravo

Weaksauce
I'm wondering what laptop everyone thinks is the best. I'm going to be joining the military soon and I'm planning on taking the entire signing bonus their giving me and spending it on a laptop I can take with me. I was thinking one of the alienware desktop replacements. What is the best laptop, money being no option?

a lot of people seem to have those Emachine beasts, while a fair ton of the rest have IBM thinkpads (and then there are Sagers and Dells, a couple of HP, and a few Toshibas).

Check some of the threads here. If i personally had the access to any laptop that you guys did, i would go for either a Sager, or an Emachine.

I doubt that helped, but im useless with laptop info. Sorry.

There is no "best" laptop, each laptop is good in its own way. Anyways, I like the new Thinkpad T42p, combines portability and power.

Emachines are good value for money, while Sager is a desktop replacement but weighs a ton.

My 2 cents

I'm looking for pure gaming power. Is the sager better then the alienware laptop replacements?

typically, yes. it's at least on par + cheaper.

best laptop under $1500 as far as performance goes: Emachine M6805.
best desktop replacement laptop under $3000: High end Sager.
best laptop for portability and power: Thinkpad T42P (in either the 14.1 or 15" model)
best ultraportable: Thinkpad X31 or X40 (with the nod to the X40)

thinkpads won't let you down...that's for damned sure.

Apple...well....I'm not mentioning them because they're honestly a niche product.

I'd prefer my best to a sager of equal price any day of the week.

T42P-DYU (upgraded)
1.8ghz Pentium-M (Dothan Core)
1gb PC-2700
60gb 7200rpm
80gb 5400rpm
15" UXGA Flexview LCD
128mb Mobility FireGL T2
DVD-RW
802.11ABG
BlueTooth
2 USB 2.0 (6 w/ docking station)
VGA (VGA + DVI w/ docking station)
parallel
Serial (with docking station)
floppy (with docking station; but I use USB)
PS/2 (with docking station)
2 PCMCIA ports
IR
Touchpad
Trackpoint (eraser-style)
Thinklight (makes typing in dark easier)
<6 lbs
4-7 hour battery life

What good is a powerful sager when the battery is dead?

Yep, T42's rock, but the flexview displays suck for gaming/movie watching. The ghosting is pretty bad. Assuming the 14in display is the same as the one on the t41, then it has a whole lot less ghosting. I don't know the specs on the rise times on the monitors, but I know the 14" is the only way to go if you want to game.

will be getting my T42 2374-3VU within a week, gonna upgrade to 1GB RAM and ill be set for a while

CyberCRAP said:
Yep, T42's rock, but the flexview displays suck for gaming/movie watching. The ghosting is pretty bad. Assuming the 14in display is the same as the one on the t41, then it has a whole lot less ghosting. I don't know the specs on the rise times on the monitors, but I know the 14" is the only way to go if you want to game.

Ghosting was only an issue in CS.

BF42, UT2004, FarCry, Q3A all looked good on the 15" UXGA Flexview.

Back