Best laptop under $600 with 4hr+ battery life?

gtg465x

2[H]4U
I need a laptop under $600 with 4hr+ battery life.

The best option I found is a Dell 1501 configured as follows...

15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA display (glossy)
Turion MK-36
1GB DDR2 at 533MHz
80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
ATI RADEON Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory (Integrated)
Dell 1390 802.11g mini card
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Battery

$589

I found the problem with buying in a store is that the laptops never come with a high capacity battery, you have to buy one seperately for another $150. So I guess I have to order online.

Do you guys know any other companies that can even approach this price? I found a laptop with similar specs from HP (v6000t), but it was $20 more and the 12 cell battery sticks out the bottom of that one, which might be odd.

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention, the OS doesn't matter to me because I have several copies of Vista Business I got for free.

The high capacity model battery for any laptop's going to stick out the bottom. The compartment is sized for the standard model.

The high capacity model battery for any laptop's going to stick out the bottom. The compartment is sized for the standard model.

QFT, you might be better off getting a machine with an Intel chip, they are usually faster and the battery tends to last longer.

That's not true, the 9 cell high capacity battery for the Dell 1501 is the same size as the 4 and 6 cell batteries. And the only laptops I can find under $600 with Intel processors are Celerons.

I'm looking at this laptop as well, but because my GF broke my IBM T42p and we're in Australia studying overseas. Just sucks because Dell won't ship to Australia unless you use the Aussie site which rips you off :( Don't know what to do about getting a cheap laptop.

WTF is this?

The high and low capacity batteries for any Dell I've ever seen are the same size. One weighs more, certainly.

WTF is this?

The high and low capacity batteries for any Dell I've ever seen are the same size. One weighs more, certainly.

12 cell batteries are usually a bit bigger than the standard, which seems to be 6 cell.
I have no idea how big 9 cell batteries are though.

The 9-cell batteries for the current Dell 15.4" models (e1505, 1501, Lat D820) are the same size as the 6-cell, so they don't stick out but weigh more. For most other laptops, including Dell's smaller notebooks, the extended battery sticks out.

For HP's consumer line, their extended battery is double the capacity (12-cell vs 6-cell) and sticks out from both the back and bottom

12 cell batteries are usually a bit bigger than the standard, which seems to be 6 cell.
I have no idea how big 9 cell batteries are though.

9-cells, for most of Dell's product line, are the same size as the 6-cell. I have not seen a 12-cell.

Edit: Checked ebay for 12-cells for e1505, didn't see any. Saw some for e1705 but they were aftermarket ripoffs with lower power than the Dell 9-cells. I hate criminals.

Back