Best keyboard+mouse adapter for PS3?

mwin

2[H]4U
I don't know if I just suck at searching, or what, but I couldn't find a suitabe answer to this question. Only a bunch of arguments about whether KBM support should be built into consoles.

I recently bought Killzone 2 for my PS3. I'm a die hard PC gamer, so I was leery of getting an fps for the console. The game seems to be really cool, but I just can't get passed trying to aim with the joysticks. It sucks. So I want to get one of the keyboard+mouse adapters. What's the best one? Do they support wireless keyboards and mice? Somebody point me toward some products.

Don't lecture me on how I should be using the controller, either. I'd rather use the KBM.

The best is a XIM and a PS2 to PS3 adapter. This means you have to use a PC to do the control, but that is a sacrifice you have to make if you want the best.

It will cost you under $100 for the whole setup.

XIM: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=xim&_sacat=See-All-Categories
PS3 adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...e=380345&creativeASIN=B001I83HP8&linkCode=asm
How-To: http://xim360.com/community/index.php?topic=1371.0

If you also want to game on the 360 in the same way, I would suggest skipping the above and going straight for a XIM2 and a XBA. It will cost significantly more (~$250) but will allow you to use it on both PS3 and 360.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You could also look at the FragFX. It isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is a compromise. It is a half mouse half controller. The mouse "emulation" isn't equal to how a mouse works with PC gaming though. In short, movement is slow and it seems to emulate the dead space of the analog stick. If you are an avid PC gamer, I don't think you would be able to adapt.

I haven't tried using the FragFX with Killzone 2 yet because I find using the controller to be fine for me.

How well does that XIM interface work? Is it pretty close to playing the same games on the PC? Honestly, probably anything will be easier for me than using the sticks, but it doesn't sound cheap so I'd want it to work pretty well.

Definitely something I'd be interested in if it works.

You could also look at the FragFX. It isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is a compromise. It is a half mouse half controller. The mouse "emulation" isn't equal to how a mouse works with PC gaming though. In short, movement is slow and it seems to emulate the dead space of the analog stick. If you are an avid PC gamer, I don't think you would be able to adapt.

I haven't tried using the FragFX with Killzone 2 yet because I find using the controller to be fine for me.

There's a new version of the fragfx that should be coming out in the next few weeks. Its similar to the original with a handful of improvements. Doesn't look like anything revolutionary compared to the original, but they definitely addressed a lot of common concerns, so it looks like a much more polished product. I'd at least wait until some feedback comes out on that one before you drop money on another alternative.

How well does that XIM interface work? Is it pretty close to playing the same games on the PC? Honestly, probably anything will be easier for me than using the sticks, but it doesn't sound cheap so I'd want it to work pretty well.

Definitely something I'd be interested in if it works.

The original XIM had a 30ms delay with the XBOX360 because it had to get translated through an XFPS (PS2 to XB360 adapter). AFAIK there is no perceptible delay with the PS3.

The XIM2 has zero delay on the 360. It modifies the outputs of an actual 360 controller. All XIMs are PC software driven. That is what makes it so useful. Games will require tweaking for your individual setup(resolution and mouse DPI), however people with advanced configs report that a XIM2 on a 360 can make Halo nearly indistinguishable from a PC (except for the ever annoying autoaim, cant turn that off).

I will be able to give a first hand report of a XIM2 on a 360 in the coming weeks(end of this month). I have mine, just have not got around to using it yet.

8 months later, has anything new been introduced or is the above still the definitive solution for using a keyboard/mouse adapter on a PS3?

Nope, nothing new. But i bought a XIM and it's well worth the money. I can now play a whole new Genre on consoles that i was not able to before.

How good does it actually work and what games does it work well in? I am a bit sceptical since obviously all console games is optimized for gamepads.

I have my PC as my fps machine but I like gadgets lol

It works fairly well, but it also heavily depends on the game itself. You can tweak it a lot thought. For example COD4 is ALMOST as if i'm playing on my computer (difference is neglectible), but for example, Killzone 2 is a little trickier to setup.

In all theory, EVERY game works with it. It's just a matter of finding the right settings as it can be configured so darn into every little detail that sometimes less is more.

How good does it actually work and what games does it work well in? I am a bit sceptical since obviously all console games is optimized for gamepads.

I have my PC as my fps machine but I like gadgets lol

Imagine playing a pc game with mouse lag (Deadspace, Bioshock; pre-patch) , more or less that is how the XIM feels. It works fairly well with the Call of Duty series, once you get used to the lag

Huh? I thought you could just use a stock USB keyboard and mouse on the PS3, is that not true?

You can, but not in games (except UT3). The setups getting discussed in this thread fake acting like a real controller but give you a mouse to hold. Moving the mouse around translates the ball into a analog stick movement and sends it to the PS3.

I have the first FragFX, it works well and I like it that it's a "special mouse + chuck"-combo with all the special keys and what not. However, the build quality is horrible and the world is littered with broken FragFX'es.

Fragenstein is another option. I have a friend who got one and seems positive about it (after having a fragfx that broke).

I haven't decided yet what to do when my fragfx breaks. Maybe gamble on the new version. Bit sceptical of wireless though, you know it'll be the cheapest shit and suddenly you have to mess around with batteries and the possibility of dropouts.

I will be able to give a first hand report of a XIM2 on a 360 in the coming weeks(end of this month). I have mine, just have not got around to using it yet.

So an update:
For the 360 and playing CoD4/5 and Halo, there is absolutely no better alternative than the XIM360, period.

Actually, as far as KB/M to 360, there is no better alternative, period. It may not work NEARLY as well for some games because of how they are setup(L4D sucks), but there is NOTHING better right now.

COD4/5 are damn close to PC. I don't really play Halo, but others report that a properly tweaked config is PC like.

As for PS3, the original XIM still seems to be the absolute best, and cheapest.

Back