Best IPS monitor for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacksaris

n00b
Hi guys

I will let you know my rig to get it out the way and also help you recommend a monitor to suit it. I have a EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, an i7-2700 with 16gb of DDR3 ram, An Asus RAMPAGE motherboard and a H100i cooler. Think that's all you need to know. If you want to know more just ask.

Anyway to the monitor. I am going to be using this monitor for photo editing so I'm am looking for an IPS monitor but when I am not photo editing I will be gaming.

So I am looking for an IPS monitor from 23inch to 27inch. Now I want the best colour reproduction but also a nice low input lag for when I game. I will also be watching movies from time to time. Now I may be asking a lot here because my budget is quite low. The maximum I have to spend is £350 which is $533.

I have been doing my research and have found some possibilities like the BenQ BL2710PT which is £9 over budget but I think I can Handle that. I have also had a little look at the Korean monitors out there but I am very weary of buying them mainly because of dead pixels. I know you can get the pixel perfect guarantee but pay the price for it. I have also been told they can be overclocked to make them 120hz.

Question. How do you overclock a screen? Would it be worth it with my gpu?

Another screen I have looked at was the asus mx279h but this is only a 1080p monitor at 27inch so I'm sure the pixel density will be rubbish. There is a 23inch version of this screen but cannot find a review for this version.

So to sum up
IPS monitor
Max £350
23-27 inch
Low input lag
Good colour

All recommendations are welcome :)

I'm in the exact same position as you, except I don't do any photo editing, I'm just so incredibly picky about picture quality.

I also need it to be precisely calibrated on the factory, so I don't have to run all my games in borderless windowed mode to apply custom gamma curves.

I was looking at the dell u2515h recently, I was really sceptical about its matte coating at first, but looking at the unboxing videos on yt it seems like it's actually really light and almost semi glossy. And the review is really positive suggesting that it has the best contrast performance of all reviewed ips display.

So I'm just torn between a Korean 1440p pls/ips with a plasma deposition coating which may come with a fucked up calibration and this dell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2515H-25-Inch-Monitor-2560/dp/B00P6O3YYO

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
7ms is the stated pixel response time, the input lag is ~9.05 ms
There is an in-depth review at tftcentral and it has the input-lag and actual response time measurements (good for IPS)

Buying a 1440p monitor with a gtx 760 is a bad idea, stick with 1080 or 1200 and at those res prob better staying under 24" or 27" might be ok at 1080p but not great.

If you buy a 1440p screen be prepared to buy top end single graphics cards from now on if you want to run new games at good fps, for example I have a 970 which is very good at 1080p but if I go to 1440p will prob upgrade that to a 390 or similar. 760 is not good enough for 1440p.

Ok so we have established that I don't want a 27inch or 1440p. So what are they best IPS monitors 24inch or lower. Not too low I don't want a tiny screen remember I'm photo editing so I have to a quite a bit of screen real estates for Photoshop. 1080p is too low for a 27inch right?

Ok so we have established that I don't want a 27inch or 1440p. So what are they best IPS monitors 24inch or lower. Not too low I don't want a tiny screen remember I'm photo editing so I have to a quite a bit of screen real estates for Photoshop. 1080p is too low for a 27inch right?

Maybe the Dell U2415 or the U2414 depending if you wan't 16:9 or 16:10, unfortunately there is not much choice with IPS, well there are a lot of them but they are all similar with matte coating etc. Dell S2415 has a glossy coating.

Yeah you don't want a 27" 1080P cause you might be able to see the pixels up close instead of whatever material you are looking at. Pixel density isn't good on a 1080P 27" cause I have one =)

If you don’t need wide gamut, Dell P2415Q would be the best choice for that money imo. Photos will look massively better on 4k uhd than full hd. Just play games at 1920 x 1080. PC Monitors have reviewed the monitor. There is a thread on this forum also.

I can understand that at 4k on a 24inch things would look beautiful but surely on such a small screen that resolution small text on the internet would need to be read with a magnifying glass. I think I'm gonna wait a bit till 4k gets cheaper and buy at least a 27inch when I do. But for now as we have gathered my gpu won't hack 1440p so I need to know what the best 24inch or lower 1080p ips monitor is the best for me in my price range.

Ok I have read the post. Now I have narrowed it down to 3. First the Asus VX239H good price and looks good too. Next the Eizo EV2336W also a most expensive out of the 23inch but worth the extra money? The final one is the dell s2415h. Now I'm not 100% sure which one I want. I haven't had a full look into each one yet but could you let me know if I had made a good choice of the 3 and which one you think I should get and why or any I have missed that are better than these?

Ok I have read the post. Now I have narrowed it down to 3. First the Asus VX239H good price and looks good too. Next the Eizo EV2336W also a most expensive out of the 23inch but worth the extra money? The final one is the dell s2415h. Now I'm not 100% sure which one I want. I haven't had a full look into each one yet but could you let me know if I had made a good choice of the 3 and which one you think I should get and why or any I have missed that are better than these?

The EV2336W has the largest sRGB gamut coverage out of the three (96% vs 87-88%) and would be better suited for photo editing. It's also pretty perfect out of the box, and likely has the best build quality. I will warn you though - the EV2336W comes with a newer version of the Flexstand that basically sucks vs. the old one.

God just when I think I am about to get a monitor something new comes up :p. So tell me is the Eizo EV2455 good then? Low input lag and good colours? Gray to gray?

God just when I think I am about to get a monitor something new comes up :p. So tell me is the Eizo EV2455 good then? Low input lag and good colours? Gray to gray?

The Eizo seems slightly worse than the Dell 2415 (and costs more), they use the same panel but the 2415 looks better on the TFTcentral review. I was just using it as a comparison of a 16:10 vs 16:9... 16:9 24" screens are not tall enough, only slightly taller than my 20" 16:10 screen.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Eizo seems slightly worse than the Dell 2415 (and costs more), they use the same panel but the 2415 looks better on the TFTcentral review.
That is a lie or a very biased opinion at least.The Eizo is the slightly better one.

I quote what the TFTCentral actually wrote in the Eizo EV2455 Review:
We can compare the EV2455 briefly with the Dell equivalent as well, the U2415, which is based on the exact same IPS panel. Pixel response times were slightly slower here than the Dell but really you'd be hard pressed to notice any real difference in practice. Lag was slightly lower though, although again not by much, so this is decent option for IPS gaming still. The default setup of the screen was a bit better on the Eizo also.

Where the Eizo begins to set itself apart from the Dell U2415 is with some of the extra features it has. It has a better range of video connections, while the Dell was a little limited with only HDMI and DisplayPort options. There are speakers and audio connections which might be useful to some. The ECO sensors are very useful and nice to have available and set it apart for office environments. Another considerable advantage to the Eizo was the better aspect ratio control options, overcoming a rather annoying limitation with the U2415 where 16:9 / 1:1 options are not offered. Like the Eizo EV2450 vs. the Dell U2414H comparison, where the EV2455 did let itself down a little was with the stand. It was not nearly as useable as the Dell's, with the tilt for instance being very stiff to operate. The OSD was also a little basic looking but did at least have a good range of options so we won't worry about that too much.

Personally I wouldn't take his/her advices after this.

That is a lie or a very biased opinion at least.The Eizo is the slightly better one.

I quote what the TFTCentral actually wrote in the Eizo EV2455 Review:

Personally I wouldn't take his/her advices after this.

LOL no it isn't a lie, Dell = £250, Eizo = £290, the Dell has higher contrast and faster pixel response with quite a bit less overshoot, no PWM at any brightness and is £40 cheaper so for the money the image quality will be the same or better on the Dell probably. The Eizo has better aspect ratio control if you use it with consoles or similar (PC scaling can be done through the GPU) and eco sensors... For £40 less than the Eizo the Dell has faster pixel response, less overshoot and higher contrast ratio.... Which are more relevant to most PC users than 16:9 scaling and eco sensor (if you need those things then obviously the Eizo then), For £40 more the Eizo has very slightly better default color setup and slightly lower input lag, (that small amount of lag difference, probably not noticeable on a 60hz screen and the difference in color is small), Why would I be biased I don't care except I am just saying what is in the review, if the Eizo features are worth an extra £40 to you then get that instead, if you want the same or slightly better image quality (especially the lower response times and less overshoot) for £40 less then get the Dell. Please don't make stupid comments lol.

Last edited:
I can understand that at 4k on a 24inch things would look beautiful but surely on such a small screen that resolution small text on the internet would need to be read with a magnifying glass. I think I'm gonna wait a bit till 4k gets cheaper and buy at least a 27inch when I do. But for now as we have gathered my gpu won't hack 1440p so I need to know what the best 24inch or lower 1080p ips monitor is the best for me in my price range.

I wouldn’t worry too much about improper text size on certain applications. The benefits of a higher resolution far outweigh possible problems associated with it imo. Several vendors are about to bring affordable 24" 4k uhd monitors to the market. They will become mainstream this year and thus software support for higher ppi monitors is bound to improve quickly. If you want to wait for that to happen, I would recommend picking up a cheapish full hd model, then throw it away and replace with a monitor with a decent resolution in a year or so after remaining scaling issues have been resolved. No photos will ever look any good on full hd monitor so you might as well go for a cheap option.

Right a new can of worms has been opened. Later you are very right I when 4k is cheaper I will want it and the money I save on the monitor now can go towards a better 4k in the future. As you can tell by my posts I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to thinkings all pc. I'm building my first rig and I got a second hand gtx 760. Now I total understand that I won't be able to play any games at 4k but the day to day use of everything else a pc does I won't have any problems will I? So I have another thing to find. The best cheap ips monitor for under £200-150? Sorry guys that I have messed around with all these different recommendations

So is the Asus VX239H good or is there something better for less money. Remember I'm going for cheap now so I can save for 4k later on. 1080p 23-24 ips monitor

LOL no it isn't a lie, Dell = £250, Eizo = £290, the Dell has higher contrast and faster pixel response with quite a bit less overshoot, no PWM at any brightness and is £40 cheaper so for the money the image quality will be the same or better on the Dell probably. The Eizo has better aspect ratio control if you use it with consoles or similar (PC scaling can be done through the GPU) and eco sensors... For £40 less than the Eizo the Dell has faster pixel response, less overshoot and higher contrast ratio.... Which are more relevant to most PC users than 16:9 scaling and eco sensor (if you need those things then obviously the Eizo then), For £40 more the Eizo has very slightly better default color setup and slightly lower input lag, (that small amount of lag difference, probably not noticeable on a 60hz screen and the difference in color is small), Why would I be biased I don't care except I am just saying what is in the review, if the Eizo features are worth an extra £40 to you then get that instead, if you want the same or slightly better image quality (especially the lower response times and less overshoot) for £40 less then get the Dell. Please don't make stupid comments lol.
Both are based on the exact same panel so contrast ratio is about the same. It just varies sample by sample. For example PRAD measured the average contrast ratio of 1291:1 for their Eizo EV2455 sample. The TFTCentral measured the contrast ratios of the calibrated settings close each others for their samples (the Dell 1011:1 and the Eizo 1032:1).

About pixel response times the TFTCentral stated: "Pixel response times were slightly slower here than the Dell but really you'd be hard pressed to notice any real difference in practice." So no real practical difference.

The Eizo is still the slightly better one. Please don't make stupid comments.

Both are based on the exact same panel so contrast ratio is about the same. It just varies sample by sample. For example PRAD measured the average contrast ratio of 1291:1 for their Eizo EV2455 sample. The TFTCentral measured the contrast ratios of the calibrated settings close each others for their samples (the Dell 1011:1 and the Eizo 1032:1).

About pixel response times the TFTCentral stated: "Pixel response times were slightly slower here than the Dell but really you'd be hard pressed to notice any real difference in practice." So no real practical difference.

The Eizo is still the slightly better one. Please don't make stupid comments.

According to reviews the dell has the slightly better specs and is also priced £40 less so considering cost the 2415 is probably the better one... I don't know about quality control or uniformity differences but judging from the Eizo foris I had Eizo clearly doesn't have that great quality control.. Some of the eizo foris screens are appalingly bad.

I havn't actually made a single stupid comment to be completely honest here.

Last edited:
Don't care about the eizo or the dell! Let's put the handbags away and focus on finding me an awesome cheap ips monitor 1080p I will wait for 4k to get cheaper. I'm selfish :p

Don't care about the eizo or the dell! Let's put the handbags away and focus on finding me an awesome cheap ips monitor 1080p I will wait for 4k to get cheaper. I'm selfish :p

I've picked up HP ZR24w monitors for really cheap from office clearances. I remember buying a brand new one for over $300, probably 400. I picked up 2 used ones about a year ago for 110-140. I don't remember the exact price (I probably posted here), but I was ecstatic over the price. Unfortunately, my triple monitor days came to an end. The reality wasn't as nice as the thought.

Both monitors had less screen time than my original. A friend of mine was so jealous and we also bought one. Another friend actually thought it was too much and waited, only for the last in the lot to be gone before he came to his senses. I actually gave one to a friend and I will probably give me another one when I buy a 4K monitor.

Hi guys!

Right i think i have got it down to 4 monitors or 3.
Need your opinions on these monitors and also if i have missed out one that is similar but better.

First is the Dell p2414h might as well include the U2414H too, i know they are pretty much the same apart from connections and the look. Personally i am leaning towards these dells because they are cheap and look pretty good too.

Next is the Eizo EV2436W now this one is £100 more than all the others so is it really worth it compared to the others. I understand it is 16;10 and 1200p but i dont know if im gonna see the difference in pixels.

now the last one im not too sure about because i have not looked into this as much as the others. its the Benq BL2411PT. i know the make Benq is known for its quality and get all the anti flicker stuff too.

So guys please help me decide which to get. If i have missed a similar monitor that is around the same price and really good let me know.

Doesn't the P2414H overclock to 80hz via DisplayPort? Would be best for gaming then and its also the cheapest.
Otherwise the EV2336WFS appears to remain the next best option.
Mostly due to the very light AG coating and color accuracy - but the price is higher and it is a bit smaller

Once again I must ask: A few people, including TFT Central, are saying lately that U2414H is using a low glow panel.Can someone confirm this?

Where is it mentioned recently?
The tftcentral review of the U2414H that mentioned the low glow was published in exactly the same time frame as the other 2 reviews (Jan 2014)
Both tftcentral and =Dead= identified the panel used as LM238WF2-SSA1.

This tftcentral forum member bought one in February this year and it had uniformity problems:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1419956964/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back