Best IPS gaming monitor 2013

darksiders

n00b
Hello everyone I am having hard time on finding best 24" IPS gaming monitor. Before you tell me that IPS are not for gaming let me stop you right here and explain.

I am aware that TN's have advantage due to refresh rate, input lag, responds time and light-boost that makes an astronomical difference in performance for games. However, I am thinking to settle on IPS because equally important I use it for university work (AutoCAD/Pro Engineer drawings, Photoshop and After Effects) and to watch movies. Although primarily I intend to use it for gaming I am having hard time justifying why non professional like me would need TN especially that I play only few FPS and more MMO/RPG sacrificing the color and angle view.

Bottom line is, I am looking for balance between good monitor for gaming that non professional however someone who plays a lot of CSS would be satisfied and decent screen for university work / Movies.

I am still debating whether to go for Asus VG248QE (that can be found for only $280 which is £182 compared to UK £290 price, however it may cause problems with transport and warranty) or BenQ XL2411T (around £230) or stick to the inital thought and go for good (for my budget that is) IPS monitor and getting a balance between gaming and university work/Movies.

My budget is: £200 ($305) but I would probably find extra £30 if its good value for money.

Last edited:
What you are looking for is a good "all round" solution.
Have a look at Eizo fs2333, probably is the best "non tn" monitor for gaming and with features that make it a good choice in other areas of use.
Eizo fs2333 review

Dell 2412M at newegg is like $280 after discount. Im pretty happy with mine.

What you are looking for is a good "all round" solution.
Have a look at Eizo fs2333, probably is the best "non tn" monitor for gaming and with features that make it a good choice in other areas of use.
Eizo fs2333 review
I think "good all round" is the right terminology that explains what I'm after in a single word.

Looking at the reviews of Eizo seems very promissing however its an unknown brand to me and the shape/apperance of the monitor just puts me off.

I am seriously conisdering between Asus VG248QE and LG IPS234V. I really love the pivot and the adjustment on Asus also I think AutoCAD and Pro Engineer would benefit more from high refresh rate than image resolution/quality that IPS has, this tilt's in favour of Asus. What really stops me from buying it is the low price of LG only £116.06 and the fact its IPS and good for Movies/Photoshop/After effects it's has only 5ms as well! but 60-75hz.

Can any owner of Asus VG248QE tell me if the colors / glow and angle view is so horrible that it would not be suitable for movies and Photoshop?

The VG248QE has poor gamma when operating @144hz so the colors will be washed out and the viewing angles are poor like every other TN so you will have to sit at that perfect height when watching movies. Using an ICC profile is the only way to fix the gamma and many games ignore ICC profiles, though you could always play around with the in game brightness+gamma settings.

For photoshop and movies a good IPS/PLS will be much better.

Eizo is not an unknown brand, they are one of the most prestigious monitor manufacturers and typically only make high end monitors for professionals.

Another option is the Asus VG23AH, think of it as the poor mans Eizo Foris but with a better stand, 72hz and Passive 3D capabilities. Some people, depending on their vision and/or glasses/contacts prescription can see the VG23AH's passive 3D filter (this applies to all passive 3D TV's and monitors) in the form of faint vertical grey lines on whites.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...mi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html#post849785

Good luck getting a low end IPS without plenty of back-light bleeding :)

Last edited:
The VG248QE has poor gamma when operating @144hz so the colors will be washed out and the viewing angles are poor like every other TN so you will have to sit at that perfect height when watching movies. Using an ICC profile is the only way to fix the gamma and many games ignore ICC profiles, though you could always play around with the in game brightness+gamma settings.

Eizo is not an unknown brand, they are one of the most prestigious monitor manufacturers and typically only make high end monitors for professionals.

Another option is the Asus VG23AH, think of it as the poor mans Eizo Foris but with a better stand, 72hz and Passive 3D capabilities. Some people, depending on their vision and/or glasses/contacts prescription can see the VG23AH's passive 3D filter (this applies to all passive 3D TV's and monitors) in the form of faint vertical grey lines on whites.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...mi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html#post849785

unknown brand to me

He said unknown to him :p
how about a 27" catleap/shimian ( 60hz )

I am seriously conisdering between Asus VG248QE and LG IPS234V. I really love the pivot and the adjustment on Asus also I think AutoCAD and Pro Engineer would benefit more from high refresh rate than image resolution/quality that IPS has, this tilt's in favour of Asus. What really stops me from buying it is the low price of LG only £116.06 and the fact its IPS and good for Movies/Photoshop/After effects it's has only 5ms as well! but 60-75hz.

Can any owner of Asus VG248QE tell me if the colors / glow and angle view is so horrible that it would not be suitable for movies and Photoshop?

You are looking for an IPS monitor but consider the Asus? Also, refresh rate will do nothing for Autocad or anything similar, only for games.

Good luck getting a low end IPS without plenty of back-light bleeding :)

Wow I really like this VG23AH and isn't passive better than active 3D since you only need cheap polarized glasses? It is worrying that some people can see the passive 3D filter tho.

Out of curiosity what do you mean by low end IPS without plenty of back-light bleeding? I ve heard something about IPS monitors giving too much glow/glare

You are looking for an IPS monitor but consider the Asus? Also, refresh rate will do nothing for Autocad or anything similar, only for games.

Because I know Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2411T are top end NT's and since I never owned an NT monitor I thought the viewing angle and color reproduction isnt "that" bad; but its seems otherwise and the only compromise is to go for IPS monitor with decent frequency and responds time.

Last edited:
Why are people so hesitant to get the Eizo? It is a freaking nice 60hz IPS game experience. Colors and AG coating are great too...and the Eizo quality. Oh well. Since there are apparently very few shipping to the west it leaves more units for the connoisseurs.

Side note: Cheap IPS sub $300.00 generally have quality manufacturing issues. You can get lucky but it's a gamble. IPS does come with off angle black level glow. Some users are bothered by this. FYI. Do the research and you'll be fine.

I think it's the price, basically. A person could get 2-3 cheapo 23"ers (dell 2340) for one Eizo 2333. Of course one usually gets what they pay for, and in my opinion I'd rather have one nice monitor, than 2-3 junky ones.

If it was me, and I was a big PC gamer, I'd just go for the Eizo -- unless it's insanely priced in your part of the world, for whatever reason.

I got mine for $400.00. Down the street. Considering I paid $500.00 for 20.1" NEC in 2007 it seemed pretty decently priced.

Why are people so hesitant to get the Eizo? It is a freaking nice 60hz IPS game experience. Colors and AG coating are great too...and the Eizo quality. Oh well. Since there are apparently very few shipping to the west it leaves more units for the connoisseurs.

Side note: Cheap IPS sub $300.00 generally have quality manufacturing issues. You can get lucky but it's a gamble. IPS does come with off angle black level glow. Some users are bothered by this. FYI. Do the research and you'll be fine.

Probably because you can't buy Eizo anywhere in the US unless you pay outrageous import costs.

Probably because you can't buy Eizo anywhere in the US unless you pay outrageous import costs.

I assume the OP is from the UK. I see Fnatic has it currently at 299.99 Euros, which is pricey, but not insane.

And you can get Eizos in the US too, but they are a bit of a pain to find. I know someone here got the Eizo 2336 for around $365 from PC Connection.

Edit: Let me add that I can understand someone balking at that price too. If you simply don't have the money, then it's not an option. But I wouldn't go for a slightly cheaper monitor just to save a bit of cash, if you can manage it. I sometimes think it's better to go super cheap, or expensive, and forget the in-between stuff. The mid-level priced monitors tend to have the same issues as cheap ones do anyway.

Looking at the reviews of Eizo seems very promissing however its an unknown brand to me and the shape/apperance of the monitor just puts me off.
As they said, Eizo is one of the most known brand among the professionals due to the high standard quality of its products.
Just for having a rough idea,have a look at this list of reviews sorted by manufacturer. Rarely an Eizo's product gets less than 5 stars in final evaluation.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
I agree that the appearance is not very attractive, but it is also true, that it is not as it appears in most of the image that you find on the web.
Here is the fs2332 (quite similar to the 2333)
Fs2333
Fs2333
I think the brand is not yet well known enough among players and can be aesthetically unattractive, but from a purely technical point of view it's a great monitor and deserves to be mentioned in a discussion titled "Best IPS gaming monitor 2013"
I think it's the price, basically. A person could get 2-3 cheapo 23"ers (dell 2340) for one Eizo 2333. Of course one usually gets what they pay for, and in my opinion I'd rather have one nice monitor, than 2-3 junky ones.
If it was me, and I was a big PC gamer, I'd just go for the Eizo -- unless it's insanely priced in your part of the world, for whatever reason.
Here in EU, it can be found easily for 295€ (about 385$), not insanely priced, and i agree, in this case you get what you pay for.

-prestigious brand
-overall quality of the product
-factory quality control at high standard
-factory color calibration
-high quality electronics from which achieve lowest response time and input lag than any other ips/pls monitor
-5 years warranty

As they said, Eizo is one of the most known brand among the professionals due to the high standard quality of its products.
Just for having a rough idea,have a look at this list of reviews sorted by manufacturer. Rarely an Eizo's product gets less than 5 stars in final evaluation.
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
I agree that the appearance is not very attractive, but it is also true, that it is not as it appears in most of the image that you find on the web.
Here is the fs2332 (quite similar to the 2333)
Fs2333
Fs2333

I think the brand is not yet well known enough among players and can be aesthetically unattractive, but from a purely technical point of view it's a great monitor and deserves to be mentioned in a discussion titled "Best IPS gaming monitor 2013"

Here in EU, it can be found easily for 295€ (about 385$), not insanely priced, and i agree, in this case you get what you pay for.

-prestigious brand
-overall quality of the product
-factory quality control at high standard
-factory color calibration
-high quality electronics from which achieve lowest response time and input lag than any other ips/pls monitor
-5 years warranty

just WOW

I think the issue here is that people dont know the brand. I personally dont have the budget for this monitor and although it has so much positive feedback I would still hesitate due to aesthetic and the fact it is unknown to me. Anyhow if I could find a used one for a decent price then thats a different story. Until then topic is still open and I appreciate any help in finding a good all around monitor.

And you can get Eizos in the US too, but they are a bit of a pain to find. I know someone here got the Eizo 2336 for around $365 from PC Connection.

I called a NW rep and got one shipped to a Photo-centric store in Seattle. Very easy no extra costs. They even offered to discount it for me as I am in the industry. Took no longer than online. Just find out who sells Eizo in your area and make some friends. Tip is to find pro-calibration houses and high end photo shops. Don't expect to find it at Best Buy and Fry's.

Dell's IPS monitors like the U2412M are good, done plenty of gaming on them.

"High end" TN monitors like that 144hz ASUS will have just as bad viewing angles as any other TN, unfortunately.

With that said, I don't think I could go back to a sub 120hz monitor for any reason at this point. I hate the viewing angles but have come to accept them since 120hz makes using Windows so much smoother. Is color accuracy truly critical for what you do with Photoshop?

With that said, I don't think I could go back to a sub 120hz monitor for any reason at this point. I hate the viewing angles but have come to accept them since 120hz makes using Windows so much smoother. Is color accuracy truly critical for what you do with Photoshop?

I'd have a hard time recommending the 2412 due to heavy AG coating. I know some are fine with it, but if the OP wants something half-way clear, I am not sure if the 2412 is ideal.

And color accuracy isn't needed for photoshop work, so long as you don't mind incorrect colors, colors on one side of your work being different that the other side, and anyone else viewing your work seeing different colors than you had planned.

"High end" TN monitors like that 144hz ASUS will have just as bad viewing angles as any other TN, unfortunately.

Colors do play an important part in what I do, however I cant say if they are critical. Depends on the imprecision of NT panels. For logos and graphics motion choosing the right color could make a big difference.

Until now I have been using Samsung 732N for over 6 years or so, I am tired of using 17" monitor and decided to make an upgrade in size and quality. I believe 732N is TN panel and the colors and angle view did not bother me too much. Then again anything that I buy now will probably be a major upgrade. Most of the readers here think I already come to use some decent monitors, when in reality I don't know what to expect when someone mentions angle view is terrific or the color reproduction is bad.

seriously, for your budget, 27" Catleap/shimian IPS from ebay, you can get it for about $300 USD shipped. it's a 27" 2560x1440 Glossy LED IPS.

And how much for the GPU to power it? That needs to be taken into consideration. I hate playing in any type of scaled res. Looks like shit or at the best 'sorta shit". You need to throw another 400.00+ into GPU for 2560 anything. ymmv.

My PC specs are:
i7 @ 2.66Ghz
Nvidia GTX 660
4Gb Ram

What about Asus PA238Q or VS239H-P? Any recommendations?

In my opinion , though I don't own one, but from what I know about them - I think one of the korean overclockable 27" 2560 x 1440 glossy monitors would be the best ips gaming monitor. 120hz of motion tracking (and it's resulting smoothness of motion and accuracy) at high fps blows away 60hz for gaming. The also have a little worse than 50% blur reduction compared to a 60hz monitor, which is still much better than 60hz panel's blur.

Personally I keep a high rez ips for all things desktop and a 120hz 1080p TN for games. The resolution is more suitable to get enough fps to feed a high hz monitor while using $1k or less in gpu power on modern games. I'm also hoping to try out a lightboost zero blur TN to replace my 120hz samsung TN eventually. I wouldn't game on a 60hz ever again if I could help it (for both motion tracking increase and blur reductions that higher hz monitors provide) , but that's me.

Last edited:
The PA238Q is damn good, I have one and the build quality is just outstanding with all adjustments swivel, tilt etc... the colour reproduction is just brilliant although you have to fiddle a bit with the settings to create your own user profile based on your preference. the default profiles aren`t that good. great monitor for the price.

I can vouch for the vg23ah, I have 3 in surround. I mainly play mmorpg type games like guild wars 2 and tera, and to me the IPS colors make all the difference. The 3d is great if you don't mind borders around the screen in 3d mode. You have to buy tridef or you can use a edid override to use nvidia 3dvision (activated in ncp). At first I had 1 670 4gb and it played all the games I wanted over 45 fps in congested areas. I'm currently involved in other projects at the moment but I play on getting 3 of those 100+ 1440p IPS monitors and 2 titans later this year. I would still highly recommend the vg23ah and they even came out with a 27 inch version of it recently.

would an IPS monitor show a significant difference over an LCD? I have an acer h223h and would be willing to get an IPS if it does provide a much better experience for the money

would an IPS monitor show a significant difference over an LCD? I have an acer h223h and would be willing to get an IPS if it does provide a much better experience for the money

IPS is a type of LCD monitor...one of several. Generally IPS panels have good viewing angles and color vibrancy. Higher end ones are good for photo/media related work.

Probably because "best" is incredibly personal. And no one read your initial post;)
Everyone loves the 27"ers but they are generally slower and take more money to drive correctly without blurred out scaling. 1920 with GTX 680 or equivalent is where I like to be. I love the eye candy afforded.

Der what are you running? So have we reached a verdict on the best 24 inch ips gaming monitor!?

NEC EA244WMi

It's the only 16:10 24" IPS except for the U2413 (wide gamut, obvious ghosting issues and high input lag in the useful color modes) that does not use a grainy matte coating

2x reviews from in depth sites, use chrome or google to translate.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5282...irovanie_monitora_NEC_MultiSync_EA244WMi.html
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...mi-je-levny-polomatny-ips-1920-x-1200-px-test

PRAD has a review in German if you want to pay for it. It is just as good as the other grainy 24" IPS in terms of gaming performance.

NEC EA244WMi

It's the only 16:10 24" IPS except for the U2413 (wide gamut, obvious ghosting issues and high input lag in the useful color modes) that does not use a grainy matte coating

2x reviews from in depth sites, use chrome or google to translate.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5282...irovanie_monitora_NEC_MultiSync_EA244WMi.html
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...mi-je-levny-polomatny-ips-1920-x-1200-px-test

PRAD has a review in German if you want to pay for it. It is just as good as the other grainy 24" IPS in terms of gaming performance.
The reviews are in Russian and Czech so the comparison to another monitor (image) will not be google translated.

Where can I order one in the UK? I checked ebay and they are very expensive around £250. Is it new model? because I would be happy to buy a used one for a lot cheaper

Back