Best IPS for gaming?

Chacranajxy

Limp Gawd
So I want to get another monitor that's going to be used primarily for gaming... and while I know that TNs tend to have the best response times and whatnot, I want an IPS instead. The monitor must be 23-24", it can't have problematic input lag, image quality is a priority, and I'm not happy with the color I get from my current monitors (a Dell 2407 and Asus V236H) so I'd like to see a sizable improvement there, as well. I was eying the Asus PA236Q, which there's not a whole lot of info on right now, but are there some other monitors I should keep in mind?

I'd heard there was an LG that used the same panel as the 2311, but it was slightly better... not sure which model it was though. Any thoughts on that one?

LG product IPS pannel for dell too but is not the same.
Pannel is not all for a display monitor, the electronic behind the pannel is the big difference !
The LG monitor have no good factory calibrations, the menù is too limited, and the internal options and functionality is totally different, and the overdrive tecnology too.

Dell and LG also same identical pannel, are 2 monitor completly different.
Dell is the best.

Last edited:
So is there any reason to go with the 2311 over the 2410? I'm not really concerned about price.

And what would your recommendation be if the thread title were "Best 16:10 aspect IPS for gaming?"

No way I'm going to 16:9 aspect -- fvck the panel manufacturers.

In the 16:10 category, that only leaves the U2410, the ZR24w, and the new Asus PA246Q, yes ?

NEC EA231-wmi is also manufactured with the same panel as the U2311h. All of the panels come from LG.

Bus, the U23 does ghost. Use prad's blur test.
The U23 is grainy compared to anything that doesn't have strong AG. - Most TN.

Bus, the U23 does ghost. Use prad's blur test.
The U23 is grainy compared to anything that doesn't have strong AG. - Most TN.

Ah, you're right. At the two higher movements it does seem to ghost. I guess it's not at all noticable in cs, l4d, sc2, tf2, etc.

Despite more blur than TN, it's still the best option. Good colors, and it shows black levels you would lose on a TN.

So it would definitely look markedly better than my 2407 and Asus V236H? Because that's my primary concern.

The thing that's still kinda alluring about the PA246Q and the Dell 2410 is that they display 98 and 96% of the Adobe RGB, respectively. But would that even matter to me? I mean, is one supposed to just run the monitor in SRGB mode anyway?

It will look a bit better than the Asus if you get a good unit, however it will look grainier.

The U2410 will look worse due to the medicore contrast+AG coating. The Asus IPS display doesn't use the harsh AG coating, but contrast might be just as bad. Wait for reviews before purchasing. sRGB should be prefered if one likes to view media as it was originally intended.

Currently the U2311H is the best choice for gaming, the Asus PA246q could be even better if it has similar performance to the U2311H minus the AG coating.

Cool. That was definitely helpful. Seems like I should probably just go with the 2311, then. That saved me about $250.

Trying to decide between getting one of these or just keeping my Soyo Topaz. The Soyo's nice for text, but I find that for games/movies it's ridiculously dark unless I turn brightness up to a point where my eyes can't stand it.

WHAT!!!
Trying to decide between getting one of these or just keeping my Soyo Topaz. The Soyo's nice for text, but I find that for games/movies it's ridiculously dark unless I turn brightness up to a point where my eyes can't stand it.

I have 6 of the Topaz S monitors and have no problem in movies or games. You must have one of the later ones. They went from an MVA to a TN panel.

I bought the NEC EA231-WMI and returned it. It has ridiculously thick AG coating

I bought the Dell U2311 and returned it. It has ridiculously thick AG coating

My best friend has the U2411... It's actually worse than the two above.

If you really must go IPS then the HP ZR24 seems to have the least aggressive AG coat.

Note: I HATE Reflective displays just as much as I aggressive AG. Cheap TNs have the perfect AG coating as did 95% of monitors made from 2005 to 2009.

Personally, if you're not gaming I would buy a Benq BL2400PU VA monitor.
If you do game then I'd buy a Benq XL2410T 120hz.
Both monitors have excellent stands which is an important factor.

Because the U2311 has better PQ and is cheaper.

The only reason to go with the zr24w over the 2311 is if the extra vertical res is a big deal to you. (It was for me... hence the zr24w on my desk at home)

The U2311 has an AG coat that looks like it was sprayed on with a fire-hose!

the heavy AG coating is into all revision of U2311H or the last revision A02 is OK ?
All suck ?

The panels of the commonly talked about IPS monitors (u2311, ea231, u2410, zr24, etc.) are all manufactured by LG and according to technical documentation use the exact same AG coating.

The asus P-IPS screen is really nice. I know! Im sitting in front of one now. And boy let me tell you they are nice.

Back