best iPhone 4 protector thingy?

cbags101

Gawd
So, I just ordered 3 iPhone 4's for our family plan. I know from experience and having to fixing them for people that they are a little more fragile than the 3g and 3gs models.

So I ask thee, what dost thou use for protective sleeves, holsters, screen protectors, etc.? What have you found to work well and work poorly? What would you recommend and recommend staying away from?

I myself would prefer something that fits snug on the phone and is extremely low profile, I've never liked protective film over the screens.

Otterbox hands down!!!

Mine was on my dash and flew out the window at 45mph!
Works like a champ. Not a scratch!

Wife has the 3GS version and it has been through hell and back.
She actually broke the bottom plastic part, but the phone doesn't have a scratch and works perfectly.

I will always have one for my iPhone!!!! They are worth every dollar!!

The Otterbox is overkill.

iLounge has a lot of case reviews. That’s a good place to start.

Another vote for otterbox defender. I have it for my iPhone and iPad. You say overkill? I say it's too [H] for you!

Posted from my well protected iPhone.

I use a carbon fibered textured case skin on the back with a bumper lookks like the gryphon but its not as loose and it has a cutout for the apple on the back. You could use a sreen protector if you want.

anyone have the Otterbox for IPT4G? Im worried its going to be to bulky.

If you need protection, Otterbox makes the definite line of cases. Just pick the level of protection/bulk you want.

I carry my iPhone 4 in the nude (;)). It's just so pretty and great feeling in the hand that I don't want to box it up. Watch this space to hear me bitch and cry about breaking it before my contract is up.

Grabbed the Apple Bumber back when they were free.
I usually carry my phones in the nude but I really like the bumper. I think it's great protection for the average adult. My phone is still in pristine condition.

Just got my Otterbox defender today, and it is awesome. A bit bulky, but looks great and the phone is completely usable. Much better than the old Speck case I had.

I have the spec case that apple was giving out for free a while back. It is pretty nice. Not sure how much protection it offers, but it looks nice and does not make the phone bulky.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another vote for the Otterbox Defender. It provides unrivaled protection, but turns your phone into a giant rubber brick. If you work in a dirty envirement then the tradeoff is well worth it considering how delicate Iphones are.

I use the Otterbox Defender and wouldn't house my iPhone 4 in anything else. I've dropped it many times and cleaned it yesterday and the iPhone still looks like the day I first got it with not a scratch on it.

Otterbox is having a sale too right now, use code HNY11 for 11% off at checkout. It expires Jan 14th.

+1 as another fan of the Otterbox Defender. They always have a coupon out there. Just google "otterbox coupon" before you decide to buy and I'm sure you'll get a 10% or better coupon code. They also allow coupon stacking, so sometimes you can find a free shipping coupon to go with that 10%+ coupon.

I've personally used each and every iPhone and never used a case. No screen scratched on any of them and minor scuffs on the plastic backs.

I think the iPhone is plenty durable.

I am looking to know the answer as well for some reason all my iphones have gotten a couple scratches and bumps along the years I think its due to my clumsy nature

I used one of the "free" cases they gave out last year. When I took it out a few months ago, the back of my phone was scratched like crazy (I guess dust can do it to the back glass?). Now I have a gelaskin and love it.

http://gelaskins.com/

I should probably combine this with a bumper to help with drops, but I prefer it "naked" as well.

For those that use their iphone 4 with the Otterbox defender, how is general use with the phone? The thing I worry about is having the case too close to the edges, making it hard to get to certain buttons, icons, etc on the edge of the screen.

I used one of the "free" cases they gave out last year. When I took it out a few months ago, the back of my phone was scratched like crazy (I guess dust can do it to the back glass?). Now I have a gelaskin and love it.

http://gelaskins.com/

I should probably combine this with a bumper to help with drops, but I prefer it "naked" as well.

+1, amazing case, dropped it many times and no scratches so far

I loved the InCase Slider on my 3G, so I also got the 4 version. I dropped it and the Slider took the brunt of the impact. It cracked the tab on the bottom piece (where it slides into the top piece) and at the thin spot near the headphone jack, so I got a new one for Christmas.

The new one has a different code molded into it, and seems to be tighter on the phone. With the first case, I was able to use my PSC screen protector with no problems just by trimming a hair off one corner to keep it from bubbling up there. The new Slider seems to be quite a bit tighter, pushing the protector up in a number of places around the edge. I don't know if I just got lucky with the first one or what.

The Slider is that rubberized plastic, so it gives it a little more texture, without sticking in your pocket like a full silicone case. The dock opening in the bottom is big enough for most Apple-like cables - it won't work with the generic rectangular ends, but it is bigger than the Bumper's opening. If you have a true dock to put it in, the bottom easily slides off too.

The Otterbox cases remind me of the Nextel i700.

I loved the InCase Slider on my 3G, so I also got the 4 version. I dropped it and the Slider took the brunt of the impact. It cracked the tab on the bottom piece (where it slides into the top piece) and at the thin spot near the headphone jack, so I got a new one for Christmas.

The new one has a different code molded into it, and seems to be tighter on the phone. With the first case, I was able to use my PSC screen protector with no problems just by trimming a hair off one corner to keep it from bubbling up there. The new Slider seems to be quite a bit tighter, pushing the protector up in a number of places around the edge. I don't know if I just got lucky with the first one or what.

The Slider is that rubberized plastic, so it gives it a little more texture, without sticking in your pocket like a full silicone case. The dock opening in the bottom is big enough for most Apple-like cables - it won't work with the generic rectangular ends, but it is bigger than the Bumper's opening. If you have a true dock to put it in, the bottom easily slides off too.

This is the one I got from best buy, and ended up returning for the Splash version. Dont get me wrong, the Incase is a great case, but was twice what I paid for the Splash :p

For those that use their iphone 4 with the Otterbox defender, how is general use with the phone? The thing I worry about is having the case too close to the edges, making it hard to get to certain buttons, icons, etc on the edge of the screen.

Honestly, you won't tell the difference from usage. I'm a heavy iPhone4 user, so I can tell you that I do not have an issue with the case and it feels good in the hands. Solid. You can drop this baby without issue.

While I don't have an iPhone I'm a huge fan of Otterbox, has been great for all of my Androids so I assume it would be great on the iPhone!

Anyone tried fitting an otterbox over a zagg or gelaskins? I use gelaskins for every day use and love it, but would like to use a case with more shock absorption for certain situations like running or travelling.

Bump! I second IcedEmotion's question, I currently use a Otterbox defender but would love to put a gelaskin on it so I can use it casually when I dont need crazy protection. Just need to know if it would work.

Back