best input devices for gamer...

lukx

Limp Gawd
Ok I'm looking for buying the best input devices for gaming so far I have choose as follows:

mice: CYBORG RAT 9
Flight stick: CH FIGHTERSTICK

now the problem is keyboard...

What would you recommend that is the best of the best?

first off, i wouldn't recommend the RAT 9. Its heavy and will wear on your elbow and wrist as time goes on. Secondly, the laser in the rat 9 has z axis (lift) issues, and is frustrating to use in FPS games where lifting is common.

Many other mice out there for a better price, better weight, and with better sensors for gaming.

As for keyboard, its all down to preference. I like keyboards with feedback and easy to press keys, so i go for mechanical - cherry MX blue or brown switches. I have a Das Keyboard with blues currently, but the click isnt for everybody.
I do not recommend cherry MX black keys because they're very stiff and tough to press, and it gets tiring. However, lots of people love them for gaming.

thanks for a link but i can see only "++++++++" whats the model number for this mouse ? Is it G300 because it's already available at Amazon

Last edited:
See if you can go somewhere that has Mechanical keyboards and see if they are for you. Bestbuy MIGHT have 1 or two "Razer Black Widow" being 1 that they may carry.

I dont understand why people have "gaming mouses" or "gaming keyboards". am I missing out on something here guys?

It's hard not to recommend any logitech keyboard or mouse classified as gaming. They all kick ass, model based on personal preferences.

I dont understand why people have "gaming mouses" or "gaming keyboards". am I missing out on something here guys?
Mice*

The reason is most likely due to the sheer number of buttons that are programmable by software provided by the manufacturer (ie: Setpoint). They also tend to have the highest DPI and the keyboards often light up (ooo shiny!). Also, marketing. Its quite easy to market something as being able to "improve" your gameplay. People gobble that crap up as they want to be like their favorite pro-gamer. Thats all I can think of really.

A lot don't realize that any keyboard can have hotkeys set up by alternative programs (AutoHotKey) but are often more work than one is willing to put in versus using the GUI provided.

That said, I love my G9x and was using a G110 up until a couple weeks ago when I finally got my Filco Majestouch-2. I never did use the macro keys and simply had minimal use of the media keys as well.

Mice*

The reason is most likely due to the sheer number of buttons that are programmable by software provided by the manufacturer (ie: Setpoint). They also tend to have the highest DPI and the keyboards often light up (ooo shiny!). Also, marketing. Its quite easy to market something as being able to "improve" your gameplay. People gobble that crap up as they want to be like their favorite pro-gamer. Thats all I can think of really.

A lot don't realize that any keyboard can have hotkeys set up by alternative programs (AutoHotKey) but are often more work than one is willing to put in versus using the GUI provided.

That said, I love my G9x and was using a G110 up until a couple weeks ago when I finally got my Filco Majestouch-2. I never did use the macro keys and simply had minimal use of the media keys as well.

uh, pshaw!!

g9x drastically improved my game over my old dell optical mouse.. Solid improvement, no crap to gobble. And srsly? people follow pro gamers? why would anybody want to live up to have a neckbeard :p.

G700 for mouse and G13 for Keypad. (performance MX is shown in the picture)
game-setup2.jpg

thanks for a link but i can see only "++++++++" whats the model number for this mouse ? Is it G300 because it's already available at Amazon

Yep, it's the G300. I'm thinking about replacing my G5 with it. I'm also thinking about replacing my G15r2 Keyboard as well.

and how this G300 looks compared to razor mouses? like deathadder or mamba?

the g300 only has 2500dpi, and im sure as there entry level mouse it isnt well the best built. you should check out the roccat kone or a g9x, very different mice, but both are fantastic

just get the logitech G400, its the new mx518, the mouse most FPS gamer use, thats what i used for 11 years (mx500, mx 510 and now mx518). Its optical and will NEVER skip. I suggest lowering down the DPI to 800 with the software or integrated mouse binds, 3600 is just too much and useless. Some people likes to play with high DPI, i guess its a feeling but i rage when the mouse is so fast you cant even aim your windows start button....

cant beat for the price, and just choose a wired keyboard from logitech you like. Head shots and PWNAGE garanteed !!!! :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104577

EDIT: looks like its on sale or something!!!!

I use the G9 (not G9x) and a G510 keyboard and the G35 headset.

You don't have to use "gaming" mice and keyboards and I know some people think they are a waste of money, but I find they make a big difference.

Mouse:
I like the on the fly DPI adjustment - I can turn the sensitivity up (usually for vehicle controls) or down (for sniping, etc) and I use the extra buttons on the side for push to talk and things like melee/knife attack. Also, I run high DPI on the mouse and turn the sensitivity down in the game - I find that this gives me the best mouse performance.

Keyboard:
I like the built in sound card which makes using an analog headset easy. I use the screen a lot in games (BC2 shows ping, stats, K/D, score, etc - 3 screens you can cycle). It's also useful to see what song is playing when you are in a full-screen app and want to listen to music. I don't use the macro keys that often, but sometimes they are handy and I use the colored lighting to tell who is logged into my PC when I am not using it (wifes profile uses pink lighting, etc). While I don't "need" the backlighting, it is nice and I usually run red or green.

I guess if you are younger and on a tighter budget, input devices are an area where you can compromise, but I remember the days of the old mechanical mice when they would slip and get dirty or gritty and you had to clean the rollers with a pencil eraser. I just remember being regularly frustrated by the quality of speakers, headphones, keyboards and mice in the 90s so I like to buy the high end stuff for the features, ergonomics and performance.

just get the logitech G400, its the new mx518, the mouse most FPS gamer use, thats what i used for 11 years (mx500, mx 510 and now mx518). Its optical and will NEVER skip. I suggest lowering down the DPI to 800 with the software or integrated mouse binds, 3600 is just too much and useless. Some people likes to play with high DPI, i guess its a feeling but i rage when the mouse is so fast you cant even aim your windows start button....

cant beat for the price, and just choose a wired keyboard from logitech you like. Head shots and PWNAGE garanteed !!!! :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104577

EDIT: looks like its on sale or something!!!!

uh but this Roccat Kone looks spectacular

In my opinion if you want the best of the best:

Keyboard - Steelseries 6Gv2, delightful mechanical keyboard, extremely responsive, nice feedback, you can press as many keys as you like at the same time, and looks awesome. Maybe a little overpriced but if you want a far superior experience and being competitive, a mechanical one is the way to go, also it's solid, durable, and it's just a great keyboard without all kind of bullshit they put on your keyboards nowadays.

Mouse - Razer Naga MMO 5600 dpi, because it's not just for MMO, works great for any genre, has A lot of buttons, programmable keys, and up to 5600 dpi. I use only 3500 though. Also looks great. - Or Razer Abyssus 3500 dpi, it's smaller, has maybe better or at least different grip if you don't need so many buttons.

Trust me they're great ;) Some nice pics.

img0012zn.jpg

img0019pz.jpg

img0022sm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm only fps player Battelfield (Bad Company 2 ) and now coming BF3

I'm only fps player Battelfield (Bad Company 2 ) and now coming BF3

I found the Naga pretty comfortable for fps, numeric keys are very accessible and you can map them to weapons, grenades, ammo switch, melee... Very useful, also it has huge dpi.

Mechanical keyboard. There are several threads here going over those.

Whether you can stomach spending $80+ on one with no frills like lights or LCDs or whatever is up to you, but I couldn't go back to a membrane keyboard now.

Ok so I think this now:

Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Steelseries 6Gv2 (choosing this over 7G because of longer backspace)
Flightstick: CH FIGHTERSTICK
Mouse Pad: Steelseries SX

Last edited:
changing my mind again :)

Mouse: Logitech G9X
Keyboard: Flico Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless [BrownSwitch]

changing my mind again :)

Mouse: Logitech G9X
Keyboard: Flico Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless [BrownSwitch]
g9x is a solid mouse. I love mine.

filco is solid too, i personally have a DAS because i cant get filco's in canada without grossly overspending in shipping and taxes - amazon wont ship to me.

mouse pad: the sx is a great mousepad, but good luck finding them. theyre discontinued.

Me and a m8 of mine are using the logitech MX 518 for several years now. I've actually had to replace it cause it was worn down. In my opinion best mouse ever. I also have it in the office. It's design fits perfectly in the palm of your hand.

41BQVE1SXZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As for keyboard, the logitecht wave is my favorite. The curves makes my hands fit perfectly on the keyboard. And the pad in front is ideal for resting my wrists. Also have this at the office since i got RSI from the office ones.

logitech_wave.jpg

im not gonna get into mice, since i think its all about personal preference and how it feels in your hand, but ill give you my 2 cents about keyboards.

if you want the best of the best hardware you have to go mechanical. im sorry to all the logitech fanboys out there, but paying $100-150 for a rubber dome keyboard is REDICULOUS. the keys feel like shit and the LCD screen is nothing more than a gimmick. there are tons of options out there depending on how you want your keys to feel and what features you are looking for in a keyboard. obviously the mechanical keyboard guide has tons of great resources as well as the geekhack.org forums.

since you mentioned that you would like the BEST of the best you really owe it to yourself to check out realforce topre keyboards. they are technically mechanical, but the switch can be best described as a mix between a rubber dome and a mechanical switch. these keyboards are expensive ~$250-300, but for that you get the highest keystroke longevity in the industry and a completely unique feel. it is worth noting that some people do not like the feel of topre keys. also if you intend on gaming with your topre you should look at the models which have uniform key weights, rather than the ones which have different weights for different fingers.

that steelseries is a nice board, but black switches will probably tire your fingers out more quickly than you are used to. the filco is great also and seems to be the keyboard enthusiast choice for cherry boards. brown switches are a nice middle of the road switch, but it seems like people often switch to a different type after a while. i personally use blues and i love them, but some folks cant stand the noise (or others around them cant stand the noise) of the keys. i think that my next mechanical keyboard will have red switches. they are completely linear like blacks, but are lighter to press. they are generally more expensive than other cherry switches and a bit harder to find, but filco does make red boards.

since most mech keyboards use cherry switches there are tons of brands out there all offering similiar if not identical key feel. so once you have decided on your preferred switch color the next step is to decide what features are important to you. do you need media keys? audio pass through? n-key rollover? macro keys? backlighting? out of all of these features the backlighting is going to be the most limiting, as there are only a few options out there for backlit mechs.

i really dont think you will be disappointed with any mech keyboard you buy, but amount of options out there are kind of overwhelming, so i suggest you do a lot of research so you can find the one that is exactly right for you.

I agree about the crappy Logitech rubber domes, but I don't agree about the Topres. It's funny how people get that 'how it feels in your hand' is important about the mice, yet the mech-keyboard maniacs ram the 90's ergonomics Topres (and the Filcos) down everyone's throats.

I'd say go for a Sidewinder X4 - good ergonomics for a gaming board, nice travel feel (and you're in fact pressing down the key to make contact with about the same travel distance as the Filcos/Topres), NKRO up the ying-yang, other gaming-desirable features.

As with the second poster, I really wouldn't recommend the RAT. It appears ergonomic because you can adjust it, but the problem is that the stuff you can adjust often has no bearing on whether it's actually ergonomic. It has other issues as well but I'd just get one with a shape that suits you. Depends on what kind of holder you are too, as well as your hand size.

G700 for mouse and G13 for Keypad.

This. I started with a G15. The programmable keys were great, but their position left me with only a couple available while having to keep my fingers on wasd. Next I got a G700, and that is amazing. The only downside there was that I ended up binding almost everything to my mouse, and it occasionally led to imprecise mouse movement. I finally got the G13, and it was perfect.

The G13 gives you room to bind everything you will ever need in a game.

I don't game seriously anymore, and not very often anymore either, so now the G13 goes pretty much unused. The G700 is still great because I have bindings on it for browsing and photoshop. I still use some of the apps on the G15's LCD screen, but I could live without the fancy keyboard now too.

I agree about the crappy Logitech rubber domes, but I don't agree about the Topres. It's funny how people get that 'how it feels in your hand' is important about the mice, yet the mech-keyboard maniacs ram the 90's ergonomics Topres (and the Filcos) down everyone's throats.

I'd say go for a Sidewinder X4 - good ergonomics for a gaming board, nice travel feel (and you're in fact pressing down the key to make contact with about the same travel distance as the Filcos/Topres), NKRO up the ying-yang, other gaming-desirable features.

As with the second poster, I really wouldn't recommend the RAT. It appears ergonomic because you can adjust it, but the problem is that the stuff you can adjust often has no bearing on whether it's actually ergonomic. It has other issues as well but I'd just get one with a shape that suits you. Depends on what kind of holder you are too, as well as your hand size.

i started to see where you were going with the keyboard thing, but then you kind of threw your own argument for a loop by suggesting the x4. not that its a bad keyboard, just that you recommend it based on its ergonomics and the fact of the matter is that its a standard qwerty non ergonomic keyboard, just like a filco or a topre. most people dont like ergonomic keyboards, those i know who use ergo keyboards do so only because they have issues with RSI. personally i dont have perfect typing technique so i find those split type keyboards to be very difficult to type on.

i started to see where you were going with the keyboard thing, but then you kind of threw your own argument for a loop by suggesting the x4. not that its a bad keyboard, just that you recommend it based on its ergonomics and the fact of the matter is that its a standard qwerty non ergonomic keyboard, just like a filco or a topre. most people dont like ergonomic keyboards, those i know who use ergo keyboards do so only because they have issues with RSI. personally i dont have perfect typing technique so i find those split type keyboards to be very difficult to type on.

There's differences even with regular keyboards. As I said, the Sidewinders are slightly shorter-throw keyboards and lower in profile. I'm not talking about ergo keyboards. I'm talking about regular keyboard ergonomics.

x6filco.jpg

x6topre.jpg

(in case it's not crystal clear, Filco top, Topre bottom)

The actual throw required to make contact is about the same as regards Sidewinder, Filco, Topre - i.e. the 'no need to bottom' switching action isn't actually all that relevant if you're comparing.

The Sidewinders are but one example, but there are others which work better for typists whose hands don't stay rooted in the home position (and even then, you could make an argument in favour of the lower-profile keyboards available nowadays).

Iknorite? Someone who actually has everything he's talking about instead of fishing the answers out of his butt!?! Who knew, huh?

Last edited:
most people dont like ergonomic keyboards, those i know who use ergo keyboards do so only because they have issues with RSI. personally i dont have perfect typing technique so i find those split type keyboards to be very difficult to type on.

I actually started to use the ergo keyboard logitech wave i suggested earlier when i was having no RSI problems whatsoever. I liked it very much. When i started working i got a normal keyboard and i was getting RSI problems within months. After half a year i just bought a new logitech wave for at work and the RSI problems diminished since. I guess i prevented RSI at home when i bought the wave initially.

Yeah you really need to feel mechanical before buying. I checked something like 10-15 models in shops when i was in Japan and all of the left kinda meh impression in me (exept cherry blue ones) but i didn't feel enough diffrence to pay for it.

If you play flight sims (assuming so because you are ordering a stick), don't forget TrackIR. It's basically a requirement in today's flight sims. You should also consider the Warthog HOTAS setup if you are a serious sim junky (because DCS A-10C is where it's at right now in the sim scene).

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...ZUXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315835471&sr=8-1

Don't forget rudder pedals.

On the low end, I've been happy with my x52 Pro / rudder / TrackIR5 / Eyefinity setup. If I had to buy another stick I would go straight for that warthog.

The 6Gv2 is a nice option if you like cherry blacks (and is on sale now for ~$70). Das and Filco make good quality blue/browns. I prefer the blues.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Using blues (or arguably blacks) in gaming = tying one hand behind your back. Sure, it's nerdily more satisfying but it hampers your reactions. If you are deluded enough to use mechs - use Browns, or better still, Topre action.

If you play flight sims (assuming so because you are ordering a stick), don't forget TrackIR. It's basically a requirement in today's flight sims. You should also consider the Warthog HOTAS setup if you are a serious sim junky (because DCS A-10C is where it's at right now in the sim scene).

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...ZUXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315835471&sr=8-1

Don't forget rudder pedals.

On the low end, I've been happy with my x52 Pro / rudder / TrackIR5 / Eyefinity setup. If I had to buy another stick I would go straight for that warthog.

The 6Gv2 is a nice option if you like cherry blacks (and is on sale now for ~$70). Das and Filco make good quality blue/browns. I prefer the blues.

I think it might be overkill I just want stick to fly in battlefield 3. So such sophisticated setup might be a tad too much :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back