Best IE Hater Ad Ever

heatlesssun ;)

Um...
Great point. The term tablet is fairly meaningless these days as it has had a lot of different meanings to different people over the years, from form factor to input method to iPads, etc. I think it is starting to become more aligned with form factor classification but many people refer to mobile OS devices still though Tablet PCs actually predate these devices.

Indeed what's so fascinating about Windows 8 and devices like the Surface are that are indeed Tablet PC 2.0. Everything in Tablet PCs from 2002 is there in many Windows 8 tablet and hybrid devices. Digital pens having a big presence in Windows still almost shocks me. I'm a huge proponent of pens with tablets as they are such a natural way to do natural things on tablet devices like writing and drawing and these forms of input are always going to be with us, they are the cornerstones of human expression.

But inking always seemed to face a lot of resistance, particularly from certain technical crowds that believed in the inherent superiority of keyboard and mouse input, though pens were really never meant to replace keyboards and mice.

I guess one reason why I never thought that Windows 8 was that big of a deal in some ways because I've seen a lot of it before in the original Tablet PC. In the back of my mind, if Windows 8 doesn't prove to be successful, I would tend to think that it would have something to do with being derived directly from the Tablet PC concept that was technically a failure, though for some reason never died even having failed.

I rest my case. :D

'Cause it does. IE 10 is better in some ways, worse in others, and a nightmare for corporate IT shops.

I like the Microsoft ads. Seems like they finally got a marketing department.

As far as IE10 goes, I like the improvement. I'm very much a minimalist and wouldn't mind not having to install another browser on my system, but I'll have to look in to IE10's syncing before seriously considering it over Chrome.

You should know this answer if you have worked at a IT shop.
What browser comes with the most toolbars installed on slowing down the whole system when a customer brings a computer in?
You guess, IE lol

You should know this answer if you have worked at a IT shop.
What browser comes with the most toolbars installed on slowing down the whole system when a customer brings a computer in?
You guess, IE lol

I also did some work on a PC with FF set as the default which had so many damn plug ins we just deleted it all together.

I love IE...used to be a firefox user but it has unfortunately gotten bloated and slow, but the final straw is when FF auto updated without my consent...click Remove...buh bye!

I've only been using IE. I've tried the other browsers, but never stuck with them more than a week. I never customize my browser, so that feature is useless to me.

I don't really hate IE..I just don't care. To me, it's about as relevant as Sticky Keys.

I also did some work on a PC with FF set as the default which had so many damn plug ins we just deleted it all together.
Except the consumer had to manually add those. That is the key difference. I have worked everything from in-house tech, to corporate helpdesk. I am all to familiar with the problems of ie in both environments. I don't like it for a ton of reasons. I fortunately don't have to deal with it on that level anymore. I use ff and chrome fit everything first. If by some chance it doesn't work on those, then I will use ie. The commercial is accurate, ie sucks less. I will grant it has improved, but that still doesn't make it good.

Except the consumer had to manually add those. That is the key difference. I have worked everything from in-house tech, to corporate helpdesk. I am all to familiar with the problems of ie in both environments. I don't like it for a ton of reasons. I fortunately don't have to deal with it on that level anymore. I use ff and chrome fit everything first. If by some chance it doesn't work on those, then I will use ie. The commercial is accurate, ie sucks less. I will grant it has improved, but that still doesn't make it good.
And the toolbars for ie what just magically installed themselves? Nope the consumer put those there, probably because they just click next next next, while installing shitty software. Really the issue here is between the keyboard and chair not with either browser.

Tool bars are manually installed as well, they don't magically show up. When working IT I think I saw what you described maybe three times a year and I pushed about 15 to 20 pcs a day.

Why? Steam still sucks balls.

I mean, it's nice until you need support. Then you're so SOL it's not even funny - especially when you have lots of dough invested on games and suddenly your account is banned or something.

Since Half life 2 came out and I put Steam on my computer, I have never needed any support. Thats what, 9 years? Steam works perfectly. If anythng the people always dissing on Steam want Steam to do things Steam was never made to do. All the games work on Steam, even if they were made for Win XP or 95 (Hitman:Codename 47 being the oldest one i have now i think).

But success just breeds haters who will complain about the company (any company) because they are successful. If its not the little icon in the tray that causes no performance hit to Steam not preloading a new game that Steam never said they would Pre-load, people will bitch about Steam, and its without foundation...

:):D:p heatlesssun - Clinical obsession or a seven year long marketing effort? You decide!
Whats even funnier is he hasn't even posted in this thread and yet you all still can't stop talking about him ;).

IE10 isn't to bad, but I still stick with either FF or Chrome for day to day surfing.

One annoying detail I've had on my Windows 8 machine. The Internet Explorer icon on the start screen uses the IE9 look, not the metro style one. Does anyone know how to change it to metro?

Nevermind, looks like if IE isn't the default option, it reverts to IE9 icon to show you it isn't the default I guess. Cool feature.

Intellimouse explorer FTW.

That being said, the ad was a little too long IMO... but better than their previous ads to be sure. Ahh, the Seinfeld days...

*slow golf clapping*

That was funny as hell! :D Well played Microsoft, well played. I may take a look at your browser again one day, if Waterfox ever lets me down that is.

And the toolbars for ie what just magically installed themselves? Nope the consumer put those there, probably because they just click next next next, while installing shitty software. Really the issue here is between the keyboard and chair not with either browser.

Tool bars are manually installed as well, they don't magically show up. When working IT I think I saw what you described maybe three times a year and I pushed about 15 to 20 pcs a day.

Yes and no..

A Consumer has to knowingly choose to install addon's for FF/Chrome. A Consumer doesn't have to knowingly install toolbars in IE. Toolbars come from a number of different sources where the average person may not realize how to stop or even why to stop them.

1) OEMS
2) Adobe
3) Flash
4) General freeware
5) IE 8+ and that terrible Bing bar.

These are the 5 worst offenders when it comes to toolbar crap. They are also the biggest reason the average user ends up with half a dozen toolbars and no idea where they came from. So yes technically they don't just end up on there. However IE doesn't exactly do anything to Alert the average person what they are actually doing. I would like IE considerably more if it merely popped up an alert asking if the recently added toolbar was desired or if it just outright disabled them by default and required the user to turn it on manually. So it is really a problem of the average user ending up with these things without ever knowing where it came from vs you are in charge of what addon's do and do not end up in FF/Chrome.

They won't get me to switch.

The last time I switched to Internet Explorer, it was 1999 and they had just released version 5.0. This cleaned-up a lot of the cruft from 4.0, and was faster and stable. Also at the time, Netscape Communicator 4.xx was constantly crashing on me, and Opera was (1) pay or ad-supported and (2) not supported by many websites.

I was happy until 2003 when it seemed IE had stopped rolling, and I switched to Phoenix->Firebird->Firefox for the plugins, stability, performance and popup blocking. Today I'm still happy with Firefox because I switched to the Waterfox 64-bit executable, and now I never run out of memory. I love my plugins, so it will be hard to win me back. CLUE TO MS: I have to be *completely unsatisfied* to switch, and the last time I had that experience was with later revisions of IE 6!

The sad thing is, I already DO have to use Internet Explorer at work every day - until they finally upgrade me to Windows 7, I'm stuck with IE 7. It's pathetic to see webpages crank an entire CPU core for over a second to scroll down a webpage, but I see it happen all the time! I can't wait for Windows 7, which will spoil me with an (already outdated) IE 8 :rolleyes:

Honestly the only reason I use Chrom(e|ium) over the newer IE is cross-platform capability. 99% of the time I am on Linux or OS X for iOS development. My bookmarks, history, pinned tabs, add-ons, sync across all devices on all platforms. That's paramount. I can't have vendor lock in with IE.

Wait a sec, did a bunch of our posts just disappear?
I distinctly remember heatlesssun posting about me being a heatlesssun fanatic, yet the post, and a bunch of others, are now gone? WHAT???

Back