Best i7 cooler tha WONT block a DIMM

You didn't designate in your thread title despite the suggestion of an air cooler in your OP, but Water would be the answer, like the H50 above, but more of a custom kit with actual cooling capacity.

Air cooler, Socket 1366. Allready have 12GB of RAM so I need an air cooler that wont block the first DIMM. Was thinking about going water but it adds quite a price onto the build.

RAM looks liek tis going to be Corsair XMS, no stupid huge heatsinks either.

This is one of the reason I really shopped around till I could find some decently fast DDR3 without huge marketing bullshit heat sinks. Seriously those Kingston HyperX hugo-blue-o's are laughable.

Still not 100% sure that I can fit it under a TRUE but I am going to try.

Cogage TRUE Spirit? Any other contendors?

TRUE with 2 fans does not block my Dimm at all. The fan does go over the Dimm, but I can still change memory if need be without taking the heatsink out.

TRUE all the way (make sure to get it lapped)

MaxPc gave this thing some sick reviews in the their mag, although it's not posted on their website yet. The price/performance ratio on this thing can't be beat. If you want to spend a little more on a cooler, buy this and upgrade the fans to some Yate Loons or San Aces.

WIll probably go with the CM Hyper P212+. Newegg sells it and I can throw it all in one order.

WIll probably go with the CM Hyper P212+. Newegg sells it and I can throw it all in one order.

It's definitely the best heatsink for how much it costs, however if you are running a 4GHz OC you might want something better, because its performance doesn't seem to scale nicely at high temps.

I have no issues on my p6t dlx v2 with a TRUE black and ocz reaper ram.

Picture012.jpg

As you can see in this photo, when i first assembled the rig outside the case i put the ram in the wrong slots, at least i know that if i upgrade to 12gb of reaper it will fit no probs, though ill always be limited to 25mm diameter 120mm fans on the cooler.

I'm running the exact rig as setter posted in the pic above, but using a Coolermster v8 and can easily get to all 6 dimm slots. Idling at 30-32, haven't really stress tested it much letting the AS5 set in (I know, I know - other stuff works better but it's what I had at home and I'm impatient) Nice cooler, but I see it's back up to $70 on newegg again (picked it up on sale for $40).

Last edited:
H50 *UPDATE*

I got my system built and...

i7 920 @ 4Ghz and only running at 60*c max load... ran prime95 for about 6+ hours while using my computer,

unloaded it runs around 30*c ;D

I'm blown away at the performance of this machine and the performance of this H50

Last edited:
I'm starting to think I might need to start carrying the H50 in my store after all the recommendations I see on here. Guess I'll be contacting someone tomorrow :)

I ran a custom test and was able to get it hotter, read the best way to get max heat and power by setting up prime95 with custom settings

So this is prime95 from start up to finish

Screen of start showing the cores maxing with prime95
http://home.comcast.net/~nickbaldwin/i7/start up.jpg

this is a screen after 1hr of prime95 temps went up to 67max and figured they wouldn't get up past that, never seen them that high anyways, only reason they got that high was because of the completely none real world prime95 custom settings

http://home.comcast.net/~nickbaldwin/i7/end.jpg

This screen was grabbed just 10sec after I click stop on prime95 to show how fast the CPU cooled off with only 10sec time

http://home.comcast.net/~nickbaldwin/i7/10seclater.jpg

Idle temp right now is 22 CPU / cores avg 32-33*c

uncore is set to auto in bios, but you can see the QPI in CPUZ @ 3.4 which is x18, from my readings you don't want it passed that without hardcore cooling, or at least nicer then the H50

But I am very happy with the H50 and how silent my case is :D

+1 for the TRUE revision C.

works great with my muskin memory, which doesn't have gigantic useless heatsinks!

I don't see anything in those pictures that has anything to do with computer... am I missing something???? :confused:

:D

Nice setup Warrior

I would go with the H50 as well if you can mount the 120mm rad in your case properly.

With mine being said... I have personally seen the H50 in action on nick's, and i was imeadiatly impressed. If you can find a good deal on it, and like was said before, if it fits, go for it!

It's certainly not a TRUE, but the Kingwin XT-1264 won't block any DIMM slots either. Flip side, it's a bit of a PITA to mount between the pushpins and its narrow design--even if you pull the fan off. (Quick sidebar: should I be worried that my Enermax Uber Chakra's 200mm side fan actually pushes against the XT-1264 when the case is closed?)

Back