Best High-Tech Christmas Card Ever

Wow that was cool. Card like that sure isn't going to be on the cheaper side.

I threw money at the screen and still don't have the card.

That was awesome! Birdbox Studios always makes great little shorts. I would pay a decent amount if a company could replicate that for real.

That was way awesome, but if I'm getting a card like that for someone, that's their present, period.

For a niece once, I bought a 3 foot birthday card (teenager) and stuffed in 20 bucks on top of that. That was the present, she still has that card to this day... other presents given to her that day? not so much :D

Wow that was cool. Card like that sure isn't going to be on the cheaper side.

Since a normal Hallmark card can be around $4.99. I'd say this one would be $9.99 to $19.99 ... And totally worth it!

You could do it as a pay-it-forward card, where the recipient has to agree to give it to someone else next year.

I don't think there's much too it. There's foam, probably a low powered motor, switch, battery, and a sound player. Likely a very inexpensive circuit. If you go and buy a talking card, it'll have most of this tech, the only thing you need are some small motors to turn the animation cards.

I wondered if it would only work once, but then I found I could just hit the play button again.

Since a normal Hallmark card can be around $4.99. I'd say this one would be $9.99 to $19.99 ... And totally worth it!

You could do it as a pay-it-forward card, where the recipient has to agree to give it to someone else next year.

I don't think there's much too it. There's foam, probably a low powered motor, switch, battery, and a sound player. Likely a very inexpensive circuit. If you go and buy a talking card, it'll have most of this tech, the only thing you need are some small motors to turn the animation cards.

Not even close on the pricing.

Having worked as a product manager for Hallmark I would estimate that this card with Batteries, Motors, Paper, and Sound apparatus would cost about $15-$20 just in materials. Now add labor, Quality, Designers, and Possible licensend content. Then take that plus the standard 50% mark up and you would be lucky to find one for $40. And lets be honest no one wants a $40 card.

The complexity here is pretty significant and getting consistent production with the tight timing of the images and sound are no small engineering feat. Single batch orders would be possible but production is another matter entirely.

Back