Best Heatsink/Fan Combo for O/C Athlons

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
Noise is no object...after my last system with 4 120mm fans, 5 80mm fans, and one of those twin fan drive bay mounted things i'm kinda immune to noise...

i simply want to know what is THE BEST heatsink/fan combo for cooling overclocked athlons, PERIOD...no compromises...if it's as loud as an 80's mullet band stadium concert then so be it...lol

that thing is huge, and i'm not sure it'll fit on my Gigabyte dually board...
it's gotta be good enough to cool a tbredB 1700+ and a tbredB 2100+ @ 2347mhz...

What's everyody's opinion on the SLK-800 with the biggest damn fan that can fit?

they also seem to be pretty scarce at the moment...

i was just trying to see what the best air cooling solution was just incase i can't get the kinks ironed out of my evaporative system...i think one of my blocks is clogged again and i'll prolly have to up the dosage of anti-bacterial stuff...good thing it's CPU1, which is the easiest to remove...had it been CPU0, i would've had to take both off to disassemble it

Originally posted by fubar569
that thing is huge, and i'm not sure it'll fit on my Gigabyte dually board...
it's gotta be good enough to cool a tbredB 1700+ and a tbredB 2100+ @ 2347mhz...

dude you didnt even say that

AX-7's with the best 80 mm fans you can find (tornados are a good idea). theyre a complete bastadr to get on the board (used to have that exact setup actually) but they work well

Originally posted by kronchev
dude you didnt even say that

AX-7's with the best 80 mm fans you can find (tornados are a good idea). theyre a complete bastadr to get on the board (used to have that exact setup actually) but they work well

So your saying a 2 year old HSF is better than a new SP-97? Hmmm.... I'll have to check that out.

Originally posted by Shinare
So your saying a 2 year old HSF is better than a new SP-97? Hmmm.... I'll have to check that out.

its a lot cheaper...plus they DO fit on the board, while the SP-97 is unknown

Originally posted by kronchev
its a lot cheaper...plus they DO fit on the board, while the SP-97 is unknown

True. I'm just i the same boat as this guy as I dont really know what "THE BEST" is but I have been told a thousand times :rolleyes: that the SP-97 is best for AMD just like the SP-94 is for intel. The weight of these badboys is pretty scary tho.I like the idea of using an older AX-7, would be cheaper if you could find one. I got a 80mm tornado I could mate with it!

Originally posted by Shinare
It is just an illusion or does this thing have a really thick [H] at the center of it? I think I will get it just cuz of that! woot! BUT.. wont that thick H be kinda detramental to cooling ability? One thick fin as compaired to many thin ones?

yeh it does have [H] on it :D

na, not really. for the price and the age its a good heatsink, with a tornado itd probabily be awesome (i just had panaflos)

i measured dimensions, the SP-97 couldn't be hacked to fit...the biggest you could go and have a prayer is the SLK-800...but i think i figured it out...both of my blocks were getting gummed up again...that's the only thing about the RBX's that can be bad (or good in this case) is they catch all the crap they can right on the accelerator nozzle...i really hope CPU 0 doesn't get gummed up too bad cause i have to take the other off to get to it...that's a bastard...especially with 1/2" tubing that was torched and clamped...now it doesn't wanna move at all...

much thanks to everyone who took time to reply...and i guess the answer to my question is the SP-97, but for my application the SLK-800 would have to suffice due to space constraints...

Originally posted by fubar569
i measured dimensions, the SP-97 couldn't be hacked to fit...the biggest you could go and have a prayer is the SLK-800...but i think i figured it out...both of my blocks were getting gummed up again...that's the only thing about the RBX's that can be bad (or good in this case) is they catch all the crap they can right on the accelerator nozzle...i really hope CPU 0 doesn't get gummed up too bad cause i have to take the other off to get to it...that's a bastard...especially with 1/2" tubing that was torched and clamped...now it doesn't wanna move at all...

much thanks to everyone who took time to reply...and i guess the answer to my question is the SP-97, but for my application the SLK-800 would have to suffice due to space constraints...

Ive got a Thermalright SLK-800 CLIPON with a 80 mm blue LED Smart fan for sale @

http://www.fastlanehw.com/forums

my nic there is Zeekoid

more things too, also have heatware

Back