Best Headset/Headphone for $50-$80

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have some cheap Plantronic 367's, that I actually really like. The problem is that the microphone is failing on it.

I am really completely lost when it comes to a new headset. Very contradicting and polarizing reviews on pretty much any headset in my price range of $50-$80.

I would prefer to stay on the lower end of that range, but will stretch to $80. The primary uses will be for PS3 online, and PC with ventrilo. I plan on getting a PS4 at some time, so it needs to be compatible with that also.

I am not specifically set on a headset, vs separate headphones + mic. Open vs Closed is also not set in stone. Either should be quiet enough when I am playing after the wife goes to bed. Here are some that I think I have narrowed it down to, but I am open to suggestions:

Superlux HD668B/Samson SR850 + Zalman Zm-Mic1

Superlux HD-681 EVO/Superlux HD 681 + Zalman Zm-Mic1

HyperX Headset - Black (KHX-H3CL/WR)

Plantronics GameCom 780

SteelSeries Siberia v2

Corsair Vengeance 1400

Alternatively, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD 465, so I could pair those with the Zalman or an AntLion ModMic....HOWEVER, I greatly prefer around-ear vs on-ear headphones.

I would kind of like to go wireless, but I don't think I can get a decent pair for my price. I know there are many more in my price range though, so, with all that....suggestions?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was in the same boat. I just ordered the HyperX ones today should be here Friday. For reference I have a pair of Beyer 770 pro 80ohm. I can tell ya more on Friday if I like them.

I say your top three are your best options.

Pioneer SE-A1000 are $60 @Amazon and sound really nice. Just add the Zalman mic from above to them. They are big as hell and none of your friends will steal them because they are so ugly. I have a big noggin and really sensitive to pressure ears. I can wear them for 6 hours straight with only bathroom breaks while gaming with zero complaints.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was in the same boat. I just ordered the HyperX ones today should be here Friday. For reference I have a pair of Beyer 770 pro 80ohm. I can tell ya more on Friday if I like them.

I say your top three are your best options.

Let me know when you get a chance to test them. I'm still looking, and listening to suggestions.

I`ve been using 668 for 3 years now and I have zero complaints. Including several drops on hard floor with no ill effect. I`ve been using AKG velour pads instead of the normal to increase the comfort (pleather pads insulate more, so velour pads are bit more comfortable if temperatures are soaring).

However, these don`t insulate the sound that much so I hope your gaming rig is in another room (probably is, since it is kind of hard to sleep when someone else is banging mouse and keyboard buttons next to you, regardless of other sounds). :)

Last edited:
How is the Turtle Beach PX21 or DPX21? Or the PX5? I know the PX5 eats batteries, but I have plenty of rechargable batteries.

Last edited:
I`ve been using 668 for 3 years now and I have zero complaints. Including several drops on hard floor with no ill effect. I`ve been using AKG velour pads instead of the normal to increase the comfort (pleather pads insulate more, so velour pads are bit more comfortable if temperatures are soaring).

However, these don`t insulate the sound that much so I hope your gaming rig is in another room (probably is, since it is kind of hard to sleep when someone else is banging mouse and keyboard buttons next you, regardless of other sounds). :)

TV, consoles and gaming PC are all in another room. I just use them at night to reduce the thunderous bass from my speakers keeping the wife awake and cranky.

How is the headband on the 668? It doesn't look that comfortable, and since the Samson's are the same driver, those look like they would be much more comfortable.

TV, consoles and gaming PC are all in another room. I just use them at night to reduce the thunderous bass from my speakers keeping the wife awake and cranky.

How is the headband on the 668? It doesn't look that comfortable, and since the Samson's are the same driver, those look like they would be much more comfortable.

It`s mainly about whether it fits the size of your head and how sensitive you are to pressure. Headband is quite secure, but since the top section is just 2 metal wires, you can bend them slightly if the pressure feels like too much. Same type of band is used in Audio Technica headphones, so you can read about the user experiences of the wing type design from AT phone users as well.

So if you think Samson would be more up your alley and you don`t need the cord replacement option, it might be a good idea for you. I`ve never had a headband of the sort they use so I cannot comment on the comfort, I just know that the wing design has served me very well during these years.

How are the Turtle Beach PX4's? I can get a pair locally for $40

Im in the same boat...looking for something cheap in the 40-50 range bc i feel spending more isnt worth it..something comfy that is good with any media
BTW if you are looking to buy the JVC HARX700 they are only 33 @ bestbuy free shipping.

Last edited:
I'm using the Razer Kraken Pro headset now. I like it. It sounds pretty good connected to my motherboard. I got mine for around $30 from a seller on Amazon. They're refurbs but they look and sound like new. I'm not sure if I'd recommend them at $80 but if you can find them for $50 or less they're great.

I use a set of Sony MDR 7506s. They are awesome, but I haven't compared them to anything else.

Im in the same boat...looking for something cheap in the 40-50 range bc i feel spending more isnt worth it..something comfy that is good with any media
BTW if you are looking to buy the JVC HARX700 they are only 33 @ bestbuy free shipping.

Ah Marketplace item...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-jvc...1307164044.p?id=mp1307164044&skuId=1307164044

I have these already, unfortunately they broke after a couple of years so I need to buy something another set. Or something else...

I think you should try some reliable companies like Sony... Here I got a inexpensive model for you - Sony MDR XB-50 in @$39.

The jvc got pretty good reviews. Hope they are good! If not Im off to hunting for another set for 40-50.. 47 for an in ear bud is a bit pricey...I cant notice a huge diff from the 8 dollar to the 50.. lol

Let me know when you get a chance to test them. I'm still looking, and listening to suggestions.

Due to Fedex being dumb i didnt get until Monday. Seriously these are good for the price $70. I would honestly pay $100 for them. I have tested the G430 and the Razer Krackens in the last month. OMG these are much much better than those.

When you get the package it makes it seem like they are $300 phones. By Beyer didnt even come in a nice package like that and they were more than double the pice at the time. Dude order from amazon on a credit card. Ship to house try and if for some reason on earth you dont like them send them back. I can almost promise you wont send them back.

Back