Best Headphones For Under $100

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I was wondering what the best headphones for under $100 are (no more than $150)? My Dad is wanting to get some new headphones and told him I'd check into it. He mainly listens to music and possibly for watching movies.

I'm going to buy him a Z680 Logitech system as well hehe..

BTW he has an Audigy 2 ZS if that helps in relation to getting the best quality out of headphones (IE some more expensive headphones may be bottlenecked by the audigy 2)

So any advice?

Thanks a lot!!

-fro

Sennheiser HD-280 Pros, $99. I have a set and love them. THey MSRP for $199 but newegg and headphone.com sell them for $99. Headphone.com also says good things about the Sennheiser HD-25-SP for $89.

EDIT: These are both closed headphones, meaning they block outside sound (not active noise cancellation, just closed).

For open headphones check out the Sennheiser HD-497 ($69 MSRP, $59 street). Also look up Grados, they're also open.

www.headphone.com has lots of info and solid recommendations.

hmmm, so what are the advantages/disadvantages of open vs closed?

why would I want open when i can have closeD?

Give the Sony MDR-V6's a shot. You can get them for around $60 and they are great.

Also, the z-680's has a place to plug in the headphones, is there any difference sound-wise plugging them in on the reciever in relation to the back of the soundcard?

afropuff said:

Closed phones keep your music in, and the outside world out. Open phones tend to sound better.

my sr60's are very nice...especially for hard rock...they ran me $70, but I am sure you can get them for less ;)

In reply to:

Answered before you even asked it.

Let me explain why.
www.headphone.com has lots of info and solid recommendations.

Headphone dot com has a excellent buying guide wich will answer all of your questions in short order. ;)
You can also check out http://www.headphonereviews.org/ for user reviews and other relevent stuff. :)

thanks for all the responses, I am getting an idea at least of what he might want

Go along with what ElektronikSeraph said, the HD280pros is an excelent product, and even better because they are cheap for mid-high end phones. They also come with a two year warranty, im about to get mine repaired/replaced due to the wear they have taken from daily use. Cant go wrong with them.

If you want closed headphones, by all means get the Hd280 pros, but for the same price, you can get some open phones that sound noticable better. When I audition the phones, i thought that my grado sr60's sounds much more fuller and less tinny. But in terms of closed headphones....the HD280's sounded very good.

Back