Best Headphones for gaming - no amp

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
Using HD onboard sound card Realtek® ALC892

What are the best possible headphones I could get for gaming?

I was thinking about ordering some HD598's but I don't know if I'd be wasting my money with no amp/onboard HD?

I got the Denon AHD2000 and they have great sound quality without needing an amp. I would suggest reading reviews from multiple sources on each headset you are interested in. I spent a lot of time in the HeadFi Forums when I was deciding which cans to buy.

My opinion only... Only get a "decent" pair of headphones. Your getting into a caliber of headphones that will really need something dedicated to make those cans what they can be to your ears. I'm saying this because as you start upgrading, you start noticing "flaws"... treble too pitched, harsh.. bass shallow, killing midrange.. and so on... You then look at spicing up your audio with a better (dedicated) card.. huge difference, you now have a "soundstage", sound is cleaner, defined... but it could be better.... woops.. time for new cans... oh... an amp? hmmm... ok.. I'll try something less than $75....

Whoa... Holy sh*t!!!!

hmmm... I'll start listening to "lossy" audio files... much better....

Better headphones would really define .. ohhh... agh...

Hmmm... thinking about a better amp...

A receiver you say.. that's just silly... hmmm maybe not... OK...

Powered bookshelf speakers... and this sub... really.. I'll stop now... :)

Some options:
Beyer MMX 2@ http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-2.html

Beyer 770 (not Pro, 80ohm)@ http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop...-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro-2912.html **will need separate mic**

SENNHEISER PC151@ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

SENNHEISER PC350@ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Denon AH-D2000.. Great headphones (Have the D7000). I'd look at seeing if you can find them used at head-fi.org. It's a great site for starting off. Be aware there is a reason they say "Sorry about your wallet".. Their not kidding.. :) But it really is a phenomenal site for edumacation for everything audio (ear-gasm)

Be aware also that don't go by your first impressions on purchasing midgrade headphones. They really do need time to break in. I let my Original DT-770Pro run for 3 days with a "white noise generator", and almost 4 days with my D7000's. HUGE difference....

Last edited:
So what about the HD 598? They are $100+/- cheaper than the Denon and seem like a really nice set of head phones.

They look like they will be really comfortable, which is a huge thing to me (and a big part of the reason I am looking to switch). I am currently using the last generation of Razer 5.1 headphones. They squish my ears (inside) and honestly, they sound ok to me so I must not be much of an audiophile because I am sure they are crap lol.

Their not bad.. Your not looking for anything close to "audiophile", your wanting something that sounds better / more comfortable than what you have now.

Curious, are you using a laptop or desktop... (more questions to follow) after your response.

Their not bad.. Your not looking for anything close to "audiophile", your wanting something that sounds better / more comfortable than what you have now.

Curious, are you using a laptop or desktop... (more questions to follow) after your response.

See signature
(desktop)

I am not looking for uber audio quality, but I would like good not muffled. Comfort is my primary goal yes, but I am also looking at quality, clarity, etc...

I do appreciate good sound, but this is for gaming only if I am honest with myself. Hence why I don't really want to get in to high end amp/sc/eq/etc... I will never use them other than that. I listen to music using my Z-5500's.

I used to have some Sony DJ headphones, VD600 or something or rather, and I always loved those. They eventually wore out and I had some cheap headphones that sucked, then I bought the Razer 5.1 off a friend for a good price but I really don't like them. They hurt my ears, don't sound all that great, and the audio control is big and annoying.

I guess that is another thing I hadn't thought of, if I go with something like this, what is the best way to control volume in game?

Last edited:
Not to hijack this in anyway.. but I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatality w/ breakout box (PCI) that I'm not using. Hell, I have not used it at all to be honest. Would that be an option to upgrade your sound? You can control the volume that way. Let me double check to make sure I'm right. I'll get back to you this PM when I get home.

They look pretty decent. The only thing to be aware of is that they are open. You will hear outside / external sounds with that, as well as everybody else (higher volume, proximity). They will start the lovely process of showing off the difference between low/VBR mp3.. ::grins:: They are not a bad choice at all.

For gaming the Audio Technica ATH AD-700 is tough to top. The soundstage is massive and they do sound very good. They just lack a bit of bass like most other open cans in the price range.

For gaming the Audio Technica ATH AD-700 is tough to top. The soundstage is massive and they do sound very good. They just lack a bit of bass like most other open cans in the price range.

A bit? Define a bit please. I know this is personal preference but Ad-700 had absolutely no bass at all according to what I think. In that matter though I thought even amped AH-D2000's could use a bit more oomphf :)

A bit? Define a bit please. I know this is personal preference but Ad-700 had absolutely no bass at all according to what I think. In that matter though I thought even amped AH-D2000's could use a bit more oomphf :)

Bolded for emphasis to make a point. If you think this you're a basshead. Tons of audio enthusiasts consider the bass in the D2000's to be way overemphasized and boomy. You don't like normal amounts of bass. You like destroying your eardrums. You should make this clear before you say you don't think a pair of headphones put out enough bass :p

The AD-700's are light on bass, but they're still one of the best budget gaming headphones out there. Positional audio comes through incredibly well, the split headband design is amazingly comfortable, and they don't need an amp.

Why are you limiting yourself to no amp? You can pick up the Fiio E9 for $28 (!!!) right now

http://amzn.com/B004M172FY

With that you can drive just about any headphones you want. I am using it with my HD600 and the sound is excellent (also using the E7 usb DAC)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why are you limiting yourself to no amp? You can pick up the Fiio E9 for $28 (!!!) right now

http://amzn.com/B004M172FY

With that you can drive just about any headphones you want. I am using it with my HD600 and the sound is excellent (also using the E7 usb DAC)

Wow, that's a great deal on the E9.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Using HD555s and A40s. Just upgraded from onboard audio to a Xonar Essence STX. Have to say, night and day difference.

It's just my 2c but I'd say instead of going for higher-end headphones go midrange. Have a lot of clanmaets who swear by AD700s. Pair that with an STX and I imagine you'd get a better experience than running onboard with HD598s.

It's just my 2c but I'd say instead of going for higher-end headphones go midrange. Have a lot of clanmaets who swear by AD700s. Pair that with an STX and I imagine you'd get a better experience than running onboard with HD598s.

I would agree with this.

If you spend that much money on headphones and still use your on board audio.......

Get a sound card and a less expensive pair of headphones. Otherwise, it will still sound like crap no matter what headphones you use.

If you spend that much money on headphones and still use your on board audio.......

Get a sound card and a less expensive pair of headphones. Otherwise, it will still sound like crap no matter what headphones you use.

Actually, no. Spend as much as possible on headphones and as little as possible on a amp/dac as those offer the least possible "improvement" in sound. Unless the output impedence is very high, from the RMAA graphs (and my own ears) realtek is completely satisfactory but has a slight fuzz to it. Though if you want to move off onboard, I would recommend a cheap DAC/AMP which has good measurements, or a cheap soundcard.

Actually, no. Spend as much as possible on headphones and as little as possible on a amp/dac as those offer the least possible "improvement" in sound. Unless the output impedence is very high, from the RMAA graphs (and my own ears) realtek is completely satisfactory but has a slight fuzz to it. Though if you want to move off onboard, I would recommend a cheap DAC/AMP which has good measurements, or a cheap soundcard.

Have you ever used a soundcard?

Hrm decisions decisions. The onboard HD Realtek has been good to me and I have no real complaints as far as audio quality goes, I just figured while I wanted to get a new set for comfort I would upgrade quality as well. (hence why I wasn't really thinking amp/soundcard).

Well a lot of people prefer the Samson SR850s over the AD 700s, while I was recommended to get the Fisher Audio FA-011 on headfi.

Samson SR850 or Superlux 668b (same sound but most people find the Samson to be more comfortable), possibly with AKG velour pads.

I don't care for the looks of either of those, though I do read good things on both. They both look like they will hurt my ears though.

Well a lot of people prefer the Samson SR850s over the AD 700s, while I was recommended to get the Fisher Audio FA-011 on headfi.

Yeah, the typical hipsters that won't admit to liking anything popular. I take head-fi opinions with a grain of salt.

I believe the hype around the Samson pair as far as how they sound, but I can't wear cans with that kind unpadded headband. They get uncomfortable after about half an hour.

ad700s are very decent even with onboard audio..i saw them on amazon for $90 the other day. they are more on the clean treble side rather than meaningful bass, which doesnt bother me since i prefer clean accurate sounds. also theyre very light--you really dont even feel them when wearing them

I use the DT 770s (non pro). Get a very clean sound and are very comfortable. I dont like most of the materials used for the pads, but the DT 770s are very nice, washable, and replaceable.

i currently own: fostex t50rp, grado 125i, senn hd-555, akg701, beyer dt990, pioneer monitor 10

my fav for gaming are the fostex - mine are powered by the output from a ht omega claro halo but i have used them straight off the onboard soundcard and while they lacked punch, they were ok

i'll second getting a decent DAC/soundcard like the few mentioned here...

also to note - the fostex can be had for about $75 new

What would you recommend for a DAC/Soundcard?

take your current headphones, plug them in and open up about 10 apps, now - slowly increase the volume until you can hear a dedicated hiss and have a good listen

do you hear just the hiss or do you hear all sorts of small clicks and buzzes and other oddities? if you hear lots of randomness then you are going to need a sc/dac - because all the other components in your system are leaving their impression through your onboard sound...

but if you hear a clean hissing sound and nothing else while you open and close apps and such, then honestly, i'd forgo the sc/dac and concentrate on good cans and an amp to drive them

I just have the hiss, No clicking or popping. I have to have my headphones almost at full volume to hear any hiss. (Razer Barracuda HP-1) I want new headphones regardless due to comfort (or maybe I should just invest in some new "cushion), but I think I have decided to invest a little more in it.

What would be the best beginner-mid range full setup? (soundcard/dac and amp)

I dont want to spend insane money, but I want to get something good.

Last edited:
Comfort I would go with BeyerDynamic. Their velour pads are cushy smooshy. Either the 770, 880 or 990 will give you good sound. I prefer the 880 for the best all around sound. You can get it in a 32ohm version and an Asus soundcard to power it. Check on headfi fs for used beyers. They go for a lot less than new and are generally in really nice shape.

Last edited:
i'll second that my beyers are my most comfy cans - but they certainly aren't inexpensive...

770 [closed] 880 [semi-open] 990 [open]

closed cans put all the action right on your ears... they are often bassy and direct and in your face, they also isolate the best, you won't hear stuff outside and whomever is outside won't hear what you hear, good if your girl wants to watch tv while you shoot the faces off things just a few feet away

open cans are airy and spread the sound out, what's called the soundstage is wider - they image better too, you will swear you can hear horns and voices and guitars way off to the right and left of you... but they leak sound out and in, whomever is in the room with you will be able to hear what you can hear ... not as loud but they will hear it... open cans are not for the library...

semi is the happy middle between the two... eh, don't have much experience with semi open cans, all of mine are closed or open [yea i know my fostex are semi open, that's another story for another day]

but again, beyerdynamic premium cans aren't cheap... but they are worth every penny

Ok I think I have decided on the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (not sure which ohm I should go for ...)

I still need more amp/dac/soundcard advice.

get the 32ohm variant, you can drive them well from any current media player [smartphones, ipod, zune, etc] which includes your onboard soundcard

honestly if you aren't getting any feedback from your computer and all your hear is a clean hiss at higher volume, just ignore amps and dacs for now - don't head down that path :) your wallet will thank you

32 ohm dt770s is a nice choice, welcome to the world of better sounding audio

get the 32ohm variant, you can drive them well from any current media player [smartphones, ipod, zune, etc] which includes your onboard soundcard

honestly if you aren't getting any feedback from your computer and all your hear is a clean hiss at higher volume, just ignore amps and dacs for now - don't head down that path :) your wallet will thank you

32 ohm dt770s is a nice choice, welcome to the world of better sounding audio

What about going 80ohm / Xonar (or Titanium)? I can't even find the 32ohm many places, and they are crazy amounts of money compared to the 80+ohm variations

These headphones will likely never see any use other than my computer, maybe a laptop rarely.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the 80ohm DT 770 Pro's.

Comfort wise they appeal to me the most, I was still debating the HD 598's but decided to go with the DT's instead.

I still have yet to decide on soundcard vs Ext USB DAC/Amp. I think I am going to just try them with my onboard realtek HD and see what happens first. I still would appreciate advice on the best (for the money, I am not spending $200) sound card to power these.

Again keep in mind that these will be used 95+% of the time for gaming and I don't care about dolby/eax/5.1/etc... I am just looking for power/clarity for these headphones for gaming.

If it was me, these days, I would get either a usb dac/amp or a receiver. Something that is outside of your case. That usually helps a bit with the amount of background noise. Makes things a bit cleaner sounding.

For gaming, I know xfi makes two usb soundcards atm.

I Guess around $100 for the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD could be tolerable. It doesn't appear to have a standard microphone jack and I can't find info on if it has an adapter included but I am sure one can be found cheaply. The volume control would also be nice since I do not use a multimedia keyboard.

I've tried to stay away from Creative due to their unfriendly driver policies, so many times have I upgraded windows to find my sound card useless and no option to download the drivers. I've also found pretty bad reviews on it between crappy 64bit support etc...

I guess I want something LIKE that, but probably not that one. Thoughts?

Back