best headphones for 300 dollars?

hard-in-da-paint

Limp Gawd
im looking for some nice headphones for around 300 dollars, and nothing over 350 dollars. the frontrunners seem to be ( and these prices are on amazon) the beyerdynamic dt990 250 ohms, akg q701/k702/k701, and the sennheiser hd600's, although the akg's and sennheisers seem to need a very nice amp to run them. what are the best headphones in this price range? p.s i dont really plan to spend more than 200 on an amp (hifi man ef2a?) headphones are top priority though

If you really only need one headphone for $300 (and not 2 pairs of $150 cans)

go with either the DT770, or the Sennheiser hd600

or also, the SRH940 Headphones from Shure

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am pretty happy with my dt880/600ohm ($269) and e7/e9 DAC/AMP combo ($199)

What is your intended use? Do you require noise isolation? I am guessing not looking at your choices, but maybe you just didn't think about it.

My experience with Beyer DT770 and Senn HD650 (2 headphones I listen to a lot lately).

* Senns are more comfortable. Beyer headband causes discomfort where it touches the top of my head after an hour or so. Senn headband is cushioned better. Earcups are equally comfortable for me.

* Beyers block the outside noise well and don't leak sounds out (I use them at work).

* Senns are well-made, but Beyers feel like they will withstand a lot more punishment -- both the headband, the earcups, and the joints feel sturdier. It is easier to accidentally yank on the HD650's Y-cable. The upside is that it's user-replaceable.

My advice is to start lower and work your way up. I like the Samson Sr850, Fostex RP T50RP, Fischer Audio FA-011, Denon D2000, Beyer 880 are $50-$220 Any of the these are at least comparable to any other dynamic headphone and do not need an amp over $130 to shine. MisterX makes great amps customized to the headphone you need to drive.

I have had over 60 different headphones and Lord knows how many combinations of amps, dacs, cables, sound cards, etc. So yeah. Go with any of these and you are safe and happy.

no, i dont need noise isolation and uses will be mostly listening to music on my computer and occasionaly some gaming, and i have heard my dads akg 240s and ive listened to them alot. so i already know what decent headphones sound like. i dont think im going to get sennheiser hd650s as they seem to need a very nice amp to run properly. i cant get a decent amp untill later becuase im not old enough for a job lol but im still not sure. im also considering something like the akg 271's or sennheiser hd595's but i would rather go for the next level up headphones.

i just saw the Beyerdynamic MMX 300's and sennheiser pc 360' gaming headphones and i dont intend to take the headphones around alot, so the mic wont bother me. what do these headphones compare to? the sennheisers seem to be hd595's with a mic.

i cant get a decent amp untill later becuase im not old enough for a job lol ...

In that case, I think you should just take spaceman's advice and get something less expensive. No need to max out your budget. There isn't a monster quality upgrade shifting from the 150-300 price range.

You should be also looking into what attributes best appeals to you in a headphone. Fun vs accurate sound, a preference towards brightness or darkness, aggressive vs laid back sound. There is no hands down perfect headphone by any means -- even at the upper tier price ranges.

Get the Fostex or the Fischer. Either of those will give you 95% of any other headphone. They are different with the fostex being more full range and the Fischer FA-011 being more airy like the AD700 but improved in every regard with more bass.

Ultrasone. They're not as well known as the other brands (Beyer/Senn), but my god, once I tried it, I couldn't go back.

These headsets have some of the most incredible fullness and bass I've ever heard, even without an amp. It's not the booming type either, but actual details (think high end speaker bass).

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO...56M8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317600092&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO...0F0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317600092&sr=8-3

I have both, and would probably go with the cheaper 750 as I couldn't discern a significant difference between the two. Maybe with with a higher end amp I could tell.

Note that these are not really considered balanced/flat headsets per se, though some people on the head-fi forums do use them for mixing/DJing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have had the 2500, 750, 780 and an Alo modded 780. They were all great sounding. My only issue is the Headband. It sucks or at least it used to. Maybe they improved that. Anyway, some headphone pron of the Alo 780 with my memory foam headband "mod".

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01641.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

I have no problems with the PRO model headbands, but I've heard complaints about stiffness and clamp pressure with the HFI models.

I recommend the Sennheiser HD600s. Can be had for about $285 and in my opinion sound batter than HD650s.

Its not that they are better though. It's just a different sound signature. The HD650s have more bass if you require that.

* Senns are more comfortable. Beyer headband causes discomfort where it touches the top of my head after an hour or so. Senn headband is cushioned better. Earcups are equally comfortable for me.

Bend the headband carefully. I did and now its resting on 3 or more spots instead of one, they are basically as comfortable as my old steelseries siberia. DT770.

I quite enjoy my Q701s, they are a bit bass anemic, but nothing a little equalizer adjustment can't fix.

I recommend the Sennheiser HD600s. Can be had for about $285 and in my opinion sound batter than HD650s.

Its not that they are better though. It's just a different sound signature. The HD650s have more bass if you require that.

Hell Yes

i always like a little extra bass in my headphones, but not over agressive. im going to try to listen to some headphones at this local high end home theater store that has a couple decent ones on display. if not, i might just go with sennheiser hd600's.

keep in mind if you buy a pair of hd600's you should probably upgrade the cable to the hd650 wire, pretty cheap if you buy direct from the sennheister site.

I think the Denon D2000's sound like the right pair of headphones for you.

Back