BEST HDTV FOR GAMING??

30' is quite an impressive TV size.

Try browsing the net for opinions. I remember circuitcity.com, epinions.com, and others being very useful.

For gaming, I would want something that would not have problems with burn-in. My understanding is that limits you to LCD, LCD projection, and DLP projection. Good luck finding one for under $1000. Maybe with the newer ones you don't have to worry about it.

While not what you were asking for, that kind of money could buy you a truly impressive computer monitor. Smaller, but capable of much higher resolutions, and easier to place. If (big if) you don't also need a big HDTV for some other reason, and you find some way to connect it, it might be a better way to use your money.

Depends on what kind of gamer you are and what you were planning, I guess.
(For me a good monitor would be a much better use of money. Then again, I'm the "headphones in a dark room, alone" kind of guy.)

My dad uses one of these for work. We played Halo on it one night, and it played fine. I didn't notice any latency or ghosting, but the contrast was a little high. Didn't bother me, as my eyes pick up high contrast better than low, but it may annoy some people. $1000 MSRP - $100 MIR + $100 Shipping = $1000 shipped.

You might like this. Under $1000, 30'' widescreen, has an HDMI input and two component inputs, which is at least enough for the X360 and PS3. Just in case Nintendo decides to fence-straddle with component again, it still has standard composite inputs, and some S-Video as well. And since it has HDMI, it should be able to handle 1080p in addition to 1080i and 720p.

ditto what black_b[ ]x said $1000 is a pretty cheap HDTV. I hope your goona do more than just game with it. Stay away from the ones that don't do higher the 480progressive, thats not really HiDef

for that price I would not even bother
bottom of the barrel HD sets suck ass

there is no such thing as one that is for gaming

you just need to find the best set in your price range

and the best resource for that is here

Thanks guys!

but how do u know what is the MAX resolution is for these TV's. If i plug it into my computer using a DVI cord??

cause i really want one that i can hook up my PC to and game on as well as my Xbox and Xbox 360(when i get it).

DieTwenty said:
but how do u know what is the MAX resolution is for these TV's. If i plug it into my computer using a DVI cord??
QUOTE]

Doesn't always work. There are several forms of DVI. Your computer is DVI-I, most tvs only support DVI-D. So i'd make sure before you buy.

StorageJoe said:
DieTwenty said:
QUOTE]

Doesn't always work. There are several forms of DVI. Your computer is DVI-I, most tvs only support DVI-D. So i'd make sure before you buy.

idk i have a XFX 6800GT.. so what would that have?

just remember it's a HDTV, so max will usually be 1920x1080interlaced
It's fairly easy to find a DVI cord that will connect from PC to HDtv
I got mine here: www.pacificcable.com cuz they're only a mile from work.
you want DVI-D Dual Link their part # DVIDL-( insert meter lenght here )
http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

There are better resolutions out there and coming but your talking several thousand $ and up.

My point is that they're not always compatible. My projector is DVI-A, my pioneer Elite is DVI-D, my computer is DVI-I.

There are three types of DVI connections:

1. DVI-D (Digital)
2. DVI-A (Analog)
3. DVI-I (Integrated Digital/Analog)

DVI-D - True Digital Video

DVI-D cables are used for direct digital connections between
source video and digital LCD (or rare
CRT) monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image
than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format.
All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which
is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal
travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital
signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and
improves the connection between source and display.

DVI-A - High-Res Analog

DVI-A cables are used to carry a DVI signal to an analog
display, such as a CRT monitor or projector. Although some
signal quality is lost from the digital to analog conversion, it
still transmits a higher quality picture than standard VGA.

DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds

DVI-I cables are integrated cables which are capable of
transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an
analog-to-analog signal. A DVI-I cable will not work
transmitting a digital-to-analog or analog-to-digital signal.

Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are
non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not
work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system.
Make sure that you know what format each part of your
equipment is before you purchase any DVI cables.
Only equipment with a DVI port labeled 'DVI-I' will accept both
a DVI-D and DVI-A source signal.

My understanding is that the DVI ports on most (all?) graphics cards are DVI-I, that converting DVI-A -> VGA is trivial, and that the DVI -> VGA converters that come with most cards only contain dumb wiring that implements this.

How far off am I?

I think your dead on :)

MOST video cards are DVI-I (both digital DVI-D and analog DVI-A OUTPUT)

so it's really a matter of using the right cable
DVI-A to DVI-A for analog or
DVI-D to DVI-D for digital

just double check and make sure you've got a cable to match the input device
(note the tutorial with pics in my last post)
( HDTV,LCD,(digital),CRT(analog) but look at the female connection on it and compare)

I run a Sony 60" LCD HDtv off a comp and have used Radeon 7000, Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000, Radeon 9500, Radeon x800pro, and a nVidia 6800gt

My comp is my DVD player for widescreen movies at 1776x1000interlaced :)

weebling1 said:
just remember it's a HDTV, so max will usually be 1920x1080interlaced
It's fairly easy to find a DVI cord that will connect from PC to HDtv
I got mine here: www.pacificcable.com cuz they're only a mile from work.
you want DVI-D Dual Link their part # DVIDL-( insert meter lenght here )
http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

There are better resolutions out there and coming but your talking several thousand $ and up.

well today i went to best buy they said that the TV i want has only HDMI so i have to get a DVIto HDMI converter cable....like this one:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_cables.html

This is a great question. Has anyone tried the larger 55" Sony DLP or 3LCD sets for gaming? Is there ghosting on these sets?

so would a direct DVI cord from the Video card to the HDTV be better then a DVI to HDMI cord from the Video Card to the HDTV???

Its not guaranteed to work. Getting an HD gaming setup for me was a failure on my 51". I tried 9700 pro to Tosh 51H84 RPHDTV which was DVI to HDMI and I never got a complete picture. In fact, the mouse cursor would scroll over to the missing parts of the screen. Tried other viewable resolutions to no avail, switched from interlaced to progressive. There was always something screwed up. After several hours of trying, I returned the $125 monster cable :eek: and hooked the PC back up to my Viewsonic. :(

DieTwenty said:
so would a direct DVI cord from the Video card to the HDTV be better then a DVI to HDMI cord from the Video Card to the HDTV???

You'll have no issues with a dvi / hdmi cable that you wouldn't with a dvi / dvi cable.

If you look past the plug differences the only thing different is HDMI has audio included. The signals are the same.

WoW on my Sony Wega HDTV CRT via a DVI to HDMI cable from a x800 xt

hdtv.jpg

No special software.

Iconz experienced what is all too common in running your PC on a HDTV, overscan
( picture beyond the edge of the screen)
If your lucky your tv and vid card get along you can find a rez that works without fiddling ( mine looks nice at 1776x1000 but not 1920x1080)
There are ways to correct for it by altering the timings in the driver or in PowerStrip

try here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94 Home Theater Gaming
or
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26 Home Theater Computers

wtsexton00 said:
You'll have no issues with a dvi / hdmi cable that you wouldn't with a dvi / dvi cable.

If you look past the plug differences the only thing different is HDMI has audio included. The signals are the same.

WoW on my Sony Wega HDTV CRT via a DVI to HDMI cable from a x800 xt

hdtv.jpg

No special software.

You showed me just what i wanted to see. the game looks sharp... so i cant wait to see what Far cry and HL2 and BF2 will look like with my 68900GT (OC to Ultra).

You will never find a $1000 30" or above gaming HDTV LCD TV unless it's a generic company putting it on for sale or it's been banged and used up.

With that said, I would recommend Samsung's LN-R3228W. I have two of them. 32" with DVI connectors and true-HDTV capability. Looks fantastic.

-J.

DieTwenty said:
You showed me just what i wanted to see. the game looks sharp... so i cant wait to see what Far cry and HL2 and BF2 will look like with my 68900GT (OC to Ultra).

It'll probably look slightly worse than your current monitor. Just get a 2405FPW. :rolleyes:

Iconz said:
Its not guaranteed to work. Getting an HD gaming setup for me was a failure on my 51". I tried 9700 pro to Tosh 51H84 RPHDTV which was DVI to HDMI and I never got a complete picture. In fact, the mouse cursor would scroll over to the missing parts of the screen. Tried other viewable resolutions to no avail, switched from interlaced to progressive. There was always something screwed up. After several hours of trying, I returned the $125 monster cable :eek: and hooked the PC back up to my Viewsonic. :(

You need to use a program like powerstrip to fiddle with the rez and timings to get it to fit correctly.. when outputting to a TV.. there will always be overscan that can be minimized with the correct software. That is how I have my 9700 pro outputting to my 51' Sony WS HDTV for Windows Media Center. (I went through the same thing you did)

I still think the best HDTV for gaming is the Dell 2405FPW. ;)

Thats the TV I ended up getting, in the 32" regular format. The price premium for the widescreen models wasn't worth it since it wouldnt be a primary gaming monitor and theres not much TV in widescreen yet. If you wait for a sale you could come out ok. My 32" retailed for 1k, had Sears pricematch circuit city's sale to 900, 10% for Sears credit card to $810, and another $100 off for activating HD cable w/ comcast = $710 + tax. promotional stacking FTW.

However, I would not use it as a gaming monitor for any length of time for fear of burn-in, maybe I'm just paranoid though.

Back